Day 16 With the Allergy Queen

Hello,

I am on day 16, so far so good. I started this whole thing to learn some self control over my relationship with food and for the most part it's working extremely well. My intense cravings for sandwiches aren't going away, but I'm getting better at managing them (small victories!). The hardest part for me is finding veggies. I'm deathly allergic to celery and carrots. I have yucky reactions to avocados and eggplant. And I can only have a limited amount of raw bell peppers, raw kale, raw tomatoes, and mushrooms, before I get nauseous.

Clearly this limits my veggie-centric snacking options. I've been eating a lot of cauliflower, green beans, asparagus, snap peas, and broccoli. As much as I love sweet potatoes, I'm at my breaking point. And there is only so much jicama one girl can consume in a day. 

So I'm wondering anyone has any other options. I'm kind of at a loss at this point. I know I'm probably not getting all of the nutrients I need and I should be limiting my fruit intake (but that just seems like a terrible idea at this point)  Is it possible that this is just not the right diet plan for me? 

Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated! 

• Moderators

So you can't have celery, carrots, avocados, and eggplant, and if you have bell peppers, kale, tomatoes, or mushrooms they must be cooked.

What about collard, beet, turnip, or mustard greens? There's two recipes for cooking greens here -- she uses kale but it works with any of them.

Can you have parsnips, beets, turnips, rutabagas, bok choy, cucumber, asparagus, brussel sprouts, snow peas, water chestnuts, butternut squash, acorn squash, spaghetti squash, zucchini, summer squash, plantains, onions, parsley, lettuce (of any kind, if you don't like iceburg, try other varieties), spinach?

Here's the recipe index for Mel Joulwan's site, just start browsing the vegetable recipes and see what looks good. Most of them are Whole30. You may find even if you do have a limited number of vegetables (and I'm not sure you really are all that limited) if you try new recipes for those vegetables it can help prevent food boredom.

Archived