Aug 15 - Whole 30 start date - anyone else?

tdg

Wow - half way there. I never really thought I would make it this long. I really never expected to feel as good as I do. This  past weekend was busy with house project. I am very thankful for leftovers and crockpots. I wasn't very good about eating when I was suppose to, just busy. I probably ate more fruit than I should have, but if that is my biggest issue I will take it. I always made sure I ate a really good breakfast. I ate some walnuts before Zumba and Pilates on Saturday, and I had a good breakfast after wards. I am wanting to look at the scale,. I had it put away in the closet, but I was having a hard time staying away from it so I gave it to my husband to hide. I agree I am bored with the food. If I had more time to cook, I probably wouldn't be... Maybe I can work on that.  At this point I am just eating because I am suppose to, not because I am really enjoying it.  I don't hate it but I don't think I am at the point that I just love all of this "Good for you food". I do enjoy how it makes me feel, so that is something. I almost forgot. I haven't had crazy food dreams, unless you consider the "nightmare" I had last night about falling off the program and eating things that weren't allowed. I can't even tell you what those foods were, it was more about the disappointment I felt afterwards. CRAZY!

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

People, we've made it half-way! Keep up the good work! Going with that pattern that @Jael started a while back, here are my reflections:

Day 15 and Week 2 is in the books! I'm half-way there!

Foods I've liked:

• Paleo Loco Moco (!!)
  • Whole30 Chicken Hash
  • Butternut Squash with Kale and Chard (great side dish).

Lessons I've learned (minor TMI):

• Late nights (and communal desserts) are triggers for eating sugar. I am most tempted at these times, so I need a plan to counter-act (see below).
  • PMS: I "caved" two nights ago and had half a bag of dried mango (nature's candy)...my period arrived later the next day. Need a plan for that (suggestions, anyone?)

Accomplishments:

• I've noticed (and been told) that I'm looking slimmer. Clothes fit better. Not down any sizes, yet; but making headway.
  • I have SO MUCH MORE energy and I'm damn near chipper in the morning.
  • Dark circles under the eyes are fading, too.

Plans I've made:

• Signing up for Fit4Mom Body Back class as soon as the new Mill Valley class is announced; so that will help me reach my goal of 3+ workouts each week.
  • Stocking up on Hot Cinnamon Spice Tea (caf and decaf) to use as my counter to late night snacking.
  • Planning a Whole30 friendly menu for my 11 m/o's upcoming first birthday to stay on track, post-Whole30.
  • Contemplating joining the sitewide September Whole30...my husband reminds me to finish "what's on my plate right now" before  committing, but I think I can do it and I'd like to see what kind of psychological-relationship-with-food changes I could make if I gave it 66 days (the average time scientists say it takes to change a habit)

Looking forward to reading all your posts, friends. Here's to Week 3!

3F

Here's to week 3 that has thus far been the easiest in comparison to the last two weeks! My personal struggle of this week has been that work is extremely busy and they've even catered lunch for us. Trying to be strong in the midst of free lunch has been ridiculously hard. But I've stayed compliant. 

I feel less bloated but otherwise haven't noticed looser clothes. Skin is a bit better and I don't need a 3pm coffee anymore.  But nothing drastically different than day 0. Here's to hoping that these changes are going to produce some results. 

8 hours ago, FoodFreedomFighter said:

Contemplating joining the sitewide September Whole30...my husband reminds me to finish "what's on my plate right now" before  committing, but I think I can do it and I'd like to see what kind of psychological-relationship-with-food changes I could make if I gave it 66 days (the average time scientists say it takes to change a habit)

That's awesome! I don't know if I could hang.. although the thought of starting with so many people for September is pretty cool! 

I've been fine the past 16 days and then today for some reason I need a cupcake. I think it's because I had a lot of work today, possibly stress. 

So I will just suck it up and maybe do some breathing. I had Cracklin' Chicken from NomNomPaleo for dinner and it was really yummy! 

Hanging in!!

I have a cool black dress, just the right mix of easy-to-wear, elegant & professional but also hip (ok, my teens might have another take...) - the one I didn't put in the giveaway bag, even though it got too tight & I'd have to suck in my breath to get the zipper up. (Disclosure: The dress and I have an emotional connection from our 'six items or less' time together http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/22/fashion/22SIXERS.html?_r=0. Lessons learnt: "buy less, buy better" and "no one notices or cares". Lingering question: "why do my friends tell me I'm a weirdo?" :)

So I gave it a try, and voilà, we're back together!

Day 17 underway...

Hi all - popping back in to say that you are all doing an awesome job and I'm super proud of you for making it so far!

Got over my flu. After spending a few days in bed I then had a ton of work to get caught up so I am now both feeling better, and up to date with work stuff so can finally stop and breathe.

I know that there is Whole 30 starting Sep 5, but I am thinking of starting back tomorrow (Sep 1). It partly has to do with timing... I have to go to a work seminar in Mid-Oct so would really like all the reintroduction stage to be over by then.

Over the past while I have been surprised at how many of the program foods I keep eating. Breakfasts especially. I am now eating breakfast within an hour of getting up, as well as eating W30 breakfasts because I like them. Am getting better at the lunches and eat on program most of the time. Dinners are harder, just because I've been putting in long hours at work. So I know where to focus my time in the coming weeks. So I have learned good things and am looking forward to implementing them starting tomorrow.

Hang in there everyone. You are now more than half way there so keep up the good work and stay strong.

It has been a pleasure watching your journeys.

Anastasia, that's so awesome you fit into your dress!! That's so cool about 6 items or less! Very interesting kind of diet, I need that! HA

TDG Glad you're starting up again.

I'm having crazy cravings it's weird.. I hadn't had any in the first 2 weeks.. and now I really want sushi, and I'm much hungrier. Granted I haven't planned to well this week, and I think that's the problem. I've had more work, thus more stress. So we'll see, gotta plan better!

Day 17 almost done!

TDG - happy to see you back.   I haven't posted because I've been so busy at work and cooking :) I can't believe we are all doing so well, and the results are starting to show.  I can literally feel my stomach getting smaller and the cooking hasn't been that bad.  last time I did whole 30 (about 3 years ago) I remember it being such a struggle.  I think as we get used to cooking better foods, it just gets easier because we know so many more wonderful recipes.  I also have to say the newer whole30 book's recipes have been a huge help. 

So here is my next challenge - I am going camping this weekend with about 7 families, all whom love to drink and eat junk.  I think i'll be fine without drinking, but I am prepared to have a hard time passing up the s'mores.   Any suggestions?   I really miss chocolate!!!!  I have easily been able to pass up lots of things, but having my daily dose of chocolate has been the hardest.  I have hid all the good stuff out of reach, which is easy since I'm only 5 feet tall.   I almost broke down the other day, and then someone told me how good I am looking - which totally kept me on track.   My husband, who isn't fully compliant - stepped on the scale and has lost 7 lbs.   I am so happy because he has been miserable all summer with hip problems, and now he is loosing weight and back to working out and feeling so much more motivated and happy.    Dr.'s told him he needs surgery so he got it in his head that he can't do anything any more.  Reality is, he can do plenty and doesn't need surgery.   I started this journey for me, but it has greatly impacted him.  He's not new to Paleo eating, but having both of us share the cooking load has really helped.   Now I just need strength for camping this weekend.  I plan to pre-cook tons of food tomorrow before we leave tomorrow night. Any secrets anyone has is greatly appreciated.  

WholeFitMom - I've been a hungrier too and also craving weird things.  I was just thinking about sushi today and wondering if BBQ tuna would be compliant to eat.  I am assuming the sauce has sugar in it because although it's spicy, it is also sweet.  Planning is king.  What is interesting about your cupcake is that I had the same experience the other day with getting a mocha.  I used to drink peppermint or caramel mochas everyday for years, up until about 2 or 3 years ago.  I had such an overwhelming craving for it the other day it was weird.   The craving passed thank goodness.  Yeah us for staying strong. 

Anastasia - awesome about the dress, glad you are reunited. 

cmf562 - stick with it, the results will come!   If nothing else, now you know you can be in complete control of what you put in your mouth and when! 

• Moderators
On ‎8‎/‎30‎/‎2016 at 2:02 PM, FoodFreedomFighter said:

• PMS: I "caved" two nights ago and had half a bag of dried mango (nature's candy)...my period arrived later the next day. Need a plan for that (suggestions, anyone?)

During the week or so leading up to your period, it's common and absolutely natural to want more food. So eat more food. One of the other mods has said she eats nearly twice as much during that time as normal. Make your meals bigger, add an extra meal or two, have more starchy vegetables, be sure you're adding fat at every meal. It's okay, really.

@WholeFitMom and @hikerbrat (and anyone else with cravings/feeling hungrier than normal) First, see what I said above about the PMS -- if that's about where you are in your cycle, eat more. Even if that's not what it is, if you're truly hungry, it is okay to eat more. Humans aren't static creatures, you can't figure out a perfect meal size that will always work for you forever -- you may be more active or more stressed or maybe there's some other hormonal stuff going on the last few days, and that's fine. Generally, we tell people that you can tell the difference between true hunger and a craving by thinking about whether you'd eat something bland, like plain fish and broccoli. If you would, you're really hungry, so have some food. If you wouldn't eat that, but you'd happily eat chocolate/Larabar/popcorn/something else really tasty, you're probably just craving, so try to distract yourself -- go for a walk, read a book, call a friend, do your nails, clean or organize something around the house, work on a hobby -- just something that will keep your hands and mind busy for a little while.

1 hour ago, hikerbrat said:

I was just thinking about sushi today

omg Hikerbat - I just made the best sushi, since my husband went out last night for sushi with his friends (I was invited and said no) and now he's going to lunch today.

So I went to the market and got lump crab meat. Made myself little Sushi rolls with Seaweed snax, lump crab mixed with mayo and some fish sauce.. avocado, carrot, and cucumber and put some coconut amino's on it! OMG it hit the spot. so good. I ate 8 of them.. they're tiny. Added photo so you can see. 

In terms of chocolate craving that's the toughest for me too.. I've just eaten grapes if I crave a sweet. I also "had" a starbuck carmel macciato addiction.. and I crave mochas and lattes like crazy. I don't really have anything esle... maybe bring an rx bar or lara bar to help you out so you feel like you're eating something at the campsite while they're eating smores.. GOOD LUCK! You can do it!! 

IMG_0425.JPG

45 minutes ago, ShannonM816 said:

Even if that's not what it is, if you're truly hungry, it is okay to eat more. Humans aren't static creatures, you can't figure out a perfect meal size that will always work for you foreve

Hey Shannon... thanks for this. I just finished my period.. longer then usual too. 

But now I just feel weird. Like I can't eat, but I'm hungry, then I eat.. feel ok. Woke up with a tension headache.

Felt dizzy this morning.. I'm drinking water, but even water doesnt sound right. 

I'm glad I made my little sushi rolls because it helped me eat something I was really looking forward to.

Trying to make unique things So i can stay excited!

16 hours ago, WholeFitMom said:

But now I just feel weird. Like I can't eat, but I'm hungry, then I eat.. feel ok. Woke up with a tension headache.

Felt dizzy this morning.. I'm drinking water, but even water doesnt sound right.

WFM, I know exactly how you feel. I was experiencing this a ton last weekend (days 13-14). 

The thing that helped me the most is exactly what you said, trying fun foods that you're actually excited to eat.

I started trying some new things and I'm definitely feeling better and no longer dreading meal time.

If you like shrimp, i found a really quick tasty coconut shrimp recipe. 

Devein and peel 1 lb of shrimp, coat with 1 egg white. Add 1 cup unsweetened coconut flakes and 1 tsp chili powder (you could add more, I did closer to 1/2 TBSP).  Add 1 TBSP coconut oil to a hot skillet and add shrimp. Cook for about 2 minutes each side. The flakes may fall off a bit, but just throw them back on top. Pairs really well with mango salsa.

Hope mixing up your foods helps. Tomorrow is Day 20, wow!!

I'm back from a four day business trip to a retreat in the Arkansas mountains, having stayed 100% on track and being super glad about it, and super glad it's over! Things I learned:

I got over my fear of being "that" person when the admin asked about dietary needs. I just listed them, and the place was really accommodating making protein-based salads with olive oil and vinegar. A coworker kindly stopped at a grocery store on our way so I could buy coconut milk and I kept it in my hotel fridge and on the coffee bar each day.

Hardest moments were the opening night reception and closing night party where the brie and wine called to me the minute I walked in the door. The opening night was the hardest, and if I haven't spent a lot of time in the weeks before mentally preparing for that moment, I would have caved. But both times I grabbed a bottled water, found a great conversation and stuck with that until it was time to leave. 

Compliant Lara bars were my salvation, both for a back in my hotel room evening snack post refusal of brie and wine, and in the airport, where there was Z.E.R.O. that I could eat for breakfast or lunch. That wasn't great, and the minute I got home I thankfully inhaled some leftover grilled salmon and green beans with ghee and almonds.

Motivation - one outfit I had picked out I hadn't worn for a while and it was noticeably big in some group video that I was in. Different perspective in my hotel bathrooms mirror showed that I'm almost back to where I was before I'd let my food and wine intake and sedentariness take over about six months ago. 

I'm not there yet, I don't think I will be completely but the end of the month, and I'm not so sold on doing this longer than thirty days for now, but seeing the results AND making it through what I knew would be a really hard for days are making me pretty happy this morning!

Hello fellow Aug 15th W30 folks.  Reporting back after retreat. I took along a supply of single serve tuna and chicken which saved me from having only egg proteins available.  Also took a can of unsweetened coconut milk to use the "butter" for flavor.  So much of the prepared foods included non-compliant items it was a bit depressing. But at least every item had complete ingredient listing. Some meals all I could choose was greens and fruit. But I made it through clean. So happy to be back in my own kitchen! 

I am still here, I was really beginning if everyone dropped off. Labor Day weekend wasn't to bad. We decided to stay home and do chores around the house. Staying away from the lake really kept all of the temptations away.  We went to my in-laws for dinner and the only thing I could really have was a hamburger patty, and a few slices of cucumbers. I came home and had some grapes. I passed on the corn on the cob (my favorite) and ice cream and brownies. I think she was testing me....  I travel tomorrow so I will need to pack a lunch. I made a meatloaf loaded with vegetables so I will take that and a salad. Tomorrow should be easy, if I prepare for breakfast tonight. Have a good week everyone. We are getting close to the finish line.

Still here, too! Congrats, @sleiper1! Way to stay strong!

@Tonya Michelle, it's the people closest to us that try us the most...good job saying no. I had similar family gatherings this weekend and fought it off by bringing my own food both times...first time, brought Harvest Chicken Salad fixings and made it as everyone sat down for dinner; second time, picked up my favorite compliant take-out (Puerto Rican dry pork ribs, sweet plantains (slow-roasted in oil, nothing else added!!), and mixed greens with lemon-garlic dressing)...some family were actually envious of MY food! Being prepped for these moments is the only way I could say "no" to all the other stuff, so MAJOR props to you, Tonya!

Not only am I still here, I've decided to hop on with the sitewide September Whole30 and try to push it until October 18th. That will be a Whole66...the average number of days it takes to psychologically change a habit. Now that I've got 24 days under my belt, I figure this is the best time to really tackle these "slippery-slope" food/health habits of mine:

• No snacking after 9pm unless out celebrating (or with OOT friends who rarely visit).
  • Eat protein and vegetables with every meal (trying to avoid breakfasts without them).
  • Eat leafy greens (as a major part of the meal) at least once a day, and at least 10 meals a week (10/21 meals in the week).
  • Workout at least three times a week; and eat protein within an hour of each workout.

The real test will be on September 17th...which technically would be after finishing my originally planned Whole30, and part of the reintroduction period. That's the date of a game-watch and tailgate with my college friends and their families...drinking is a core part of this group's activities, especially during a game. I had planned to reintroduce gluten-free alcohol first, in preparation for this day; I even volunteered to make a Whole30 compliant dish to keep the rest of my eating on plan. But now that I'm planning to extend until October 18th, this day is going to be tricky. It's still over a week away, so I'm hoping to plan and psych myself up in preparation.

How're you guys feeling, now that the final stretch is here?

I'm still here too, but sad to say the smores (and monkey bread) got the best of me this weekend camping :( although I only ate 1xmore and 3 bites of monkey bread,  I normally would have had 3+ a night.  The bright side - I ate compliant other then at the campfire, and honestly when I look at my old habits, it was like night and day.  I would have eaten so much junk food camping and would have been drinking too.  I am not beating myself up because I feel I have come a long way and am now back on track.  as far as 30 days - well looks like I'm in it for the long haul, here I come, day 2.  Good thing is, my husband is still losing weight and committed to eating healthier so I feel like we are on the path to healthier life styles.  Seeing him make huge leaps and bounds is huge because he has put on 40lbs in the last few years, and there was nothing I could say or do to motivate him to change.  Apparently all I had to do was change my habits to motivate him.  I am very grateful that he is eating so much better and feeling better too. 

The real test will be on September 17th...which technically would be after finishing my originally planned Whole30, and part of the reintroduction period. That's the date of a game-watch and tailgate with my college friends and their families...drinking is a core part of this group's activities, especially during a game. I had planned to reintroduce gluten-free alcohol first, in preparation for this day; I even volunteered to make a Whole30 compliant dish to keep the rest of my eating on plan. But now that I'm planning to extend until October 18th, this day is going to be tricky. It's still over a week away, so I'm hoping to plan and psych myself up in preparation.

Hi Food Freedom Fighter,

Everyone was drinking this weekend and I have to say it felt great not too.   If you are really having a hard time, make yourself some kind of compliant smoothie or mixed fruit/veg drink. This way you have a cold beverage in your hand and you can feel like you are drinking something.   I was really worried about camping because we were with families I didn't know well, and they all drink a lot.  I was pleasantly surprised by how supportive everyone was.  The only person not as supportive was the one who brought the treats and kept giving me a hard time for not eating them - hence I gave in.  She called yesterday telling me she feels bad for knocking me off the whole30 and wants info about whole30.  She said she wants to do it with me to support me and she sees my results.  She wants to get clean eating and slay the sugar dragon before going before the holidays!   Again - my choices affect others, and so can yours. 

Just when I thought all my big hurdles were over, a super stressful day full of sad news and surprises hit. But talking to my husband on business in South Korea who has been drinking sparkling mineral water and living on chicken and salad to stay on track, helped. Still, the book is so right about all the hard moments -7 days out is hard!

On the plus side, today I put on a fitted T-shirt that I had bought last month and haaaaaated because my midsection was a cliche of bulging blah blah blah (but I bought it anyway as my motivation to do this). Today - bulges almost totally gone. Even though I've been recovering from a bad cold and cough for two weeks, my energy level has been amazing. Am I looking forward to being done? Totally. But the results are worth it!

16 hours ago, Jael said:

. Am I looking forward to being done? Totally. But the results are worth it!

So worth it!! Hang in there Jael! We only have 5 more days!!! 

So excited.. feeling good. Gonna go work out right now.. 
I've been looking at things to re-introduce.. don't know why i'm so worried about it. 

I really don't crave peanut butter or any legumes.. so do I go straight to dairy? 

I don't even want to re-introduce anything just for the sake of re-introducing,.. u know? 

Hope everyone else is still chugging along! 

I was/am considering going for another 30 days. I feel like I haven't really slayed my sugar dragon. I am wondering if the next 30 I really need to limit my fruit intake. IDK. I am so bored with the food, I think I eat the fruit because it is refreshing. I will decide this weekend if I hang tough or go another month. I will definitely need to find some new recipes. I feel really really good so I don't think I am ready to lose that feeling, I am not feeling the difference in my clothes. I guess time will tell. The State fair is next week, that should be challenging. I just have all these thoughts going through my head. I don't know what bothers me the most, the thought of another 30 days of this, or the thought of the reintroduction. To be honest they both scare me.  Good luck everyone and hang tough, we are almost there.

My whole 30 wrap up (a few days early):

What I don't like: still feeling hungry, tired of meat

What I do like: feeling lighter, breakfast and healthy snacks

What I don't miss: alcohol (most of the time...) and its effects, sugar, flour-based food junk like crackers (most of the time)

What I do miss: legumes and grains.

Benefits of W30: Strict rules helped me avoid pitfalls (after work drink, easy but empty snacks and breakfast, social eating) and find solutions fairly easily.

Drawbacks: Digestive stuff, lack of appetite

What I plan to change: Wine only on the weekend or for special occasions. Pack breakfast and healthy snacks. No eating stuff I don't want for social reasons (some room for exceptions). Focus on avoiding mindless eating (even the healthy stuff).

I won't be joining the "let's go for W60" crowd!!! But power to y'all :) I might try a W15/W30 from time to time, if a reset is in order (like 'After summer holidays' or 'After New Year'). I'll be aiming for a W30+legumes+limited grains in the mean time and maybe dessert once in a while, but only when I really want it!

Off on business trip... best to all in these final days :)

Archived