bear's whole30 trek

bear

Day 1 of my first Whole30, am feeling excited yet cautious, as I pretty much live for cheese and chocolate. (Though not together, ick). My main incentives for doing this are to:

a.) kick my food cravings, as I pretty much eat whenever I'm stressed, bored, or tired without a second thought.

b.) kick my serious, serious sugar-free gum addiction. I've been chewing the stuff, which is pretty much nothing but polysyllabic sludge, long enough to become inured to its nasty side effects. Previously, the longest I've gone without the stuff has been two weeks. I'd like to get rid of it once and for all. Not only is it an unnecessary expense, in my experience gum prolongs and intensifies my cravings for something sweet.

c.) aid in stabilizing my mood!

d.) weight loss

Okay. Set. Go.

Breakfast: 2 eggs with kale and 1/2 vidallia onion, scrambled in olive oil. Water, green tea.

Lunch: 5 or 6 macadamia nuts, 1/2 cup garlicky green beans, 6 oz baked salmon, 1 tbsp coconut oil (mmm). Water, roiboos tea.

Snack: apple larabar

Dinner: 1/3 cup guacamole (avocado, tomato, onion, garlic) 4 oz nitrate-free pastrami, 1 tbsp coconut oil. Water.

Wow.....what a great start. I can relate to the addiction to the gum. Not gum for me, but Diet Coke. I was so addicted to that and would still like some but I have been drinking Sassy Water instead. I take a large bottle of soda water and put in 1 cucumber, sliced thin, one orange sliced thin, one lime, sliced thin and one lemon, sliced thin. Put all these into the water and let steep in the refrigerator overnight. Then strain the water into another jug and discard the fruit. It is very refreshing :) and does not have all the sugar from the fruit, only the taste.

• Moderators

Hmm. Unless you weigh about 75 pounds, you need to up-size your meals by 100 percent and maybe more. The Whole30 is not a calorie restriction program and things just don't work very well when you eat less than your body needs.

Thanks for the feedback. I guess I'm confused because in the meal planning template it's written to have 1-2 palm-sized servings of animal protein, lots of veggies, and fat in the following amounts: 1-2 thumbs-worth of oils and butter, 1/2-1 avocado, 1 closed handful of nuts, etc. per meal. Looking back I think I got the protein and fat in okay amounts for my meals, but could do with adding more veggies. Should I be upping my protein and fats to the upper limits of the recommended ranges? Any recommendations would be much appreciated.

And no, I do not weigh 75 lbs. :)

• Moderators

Thanks for the feedback. I guess I'm confused because in the meal planning template it's written to have 1-2 palm-sized servings of animal protein, lots of veggies, and fat in the following amounts: 1-2 thumbs-worth of oils and butter, 1/2-1 avocado, 1 closed handful of nuts, etc. per meal. Looking back I think I got the protein and fat in okay amounts for my meals, but could do with adding more veggies. Should I be upping my protein and fats to the upper limits of the recommended ranges? Any recommendations would be much appreciated.

And no, I do not weigh 75 lbs. :)

I thought the 2 eggs at breakfast and 4 ounces of pastrami at supper was too light, but I don't really know what 4 ounces of pastrami looks like. What really made me speak up was the half cup of garlicky green beans.

Upping your veggie intake may be enough. The reason to eat 2 palm-size portions of protein per meal would be if you felt hungry or were very active and needed it for energy.

Sounds good! Today was a little tougher, I found that I really crave something sweet at the end of a meal, and that I use that something sweet (dessert, gum) as an external cue to signal that I'm done eating. Tomorrow I'll go into meals expecting that, which might make dealing with it a little easier. I've found that eating a tbsp of coconut oil at the end of meal helps, but I don't want to be using that as a crutch! I'd much rather my body's insulin/ leptin levels re-calibrate so that my 'signal' for being done eating isn't external, but internal. Well, I guess that's why I'm doing a Whole30. :^)

Anyhow, here's how the day went food-wise:

Breakfast: Coconut milk curry with tons o' veggies and shrimp, water

Snack: Cherry Larabar

Lunch: Applewood Farms Bologna, Pastrami, 2 closed handfuls raw cashews, dried Trader Joe's mangoes, 1 tbsp coconut oil

Dinner: Chicken with shallots, thyme, and sage, wet sauteed spinach with garlic, 2 tbsp coconut manna (is this any different from coconut oil?), water, ginger tea

Oh and, last night's slumber: 8.5 hours

Day 3, not as tough as I thought it'd be. You see, I work and live in a residential treatment setting, where most of the dinners are served family-style and limited in their options. Plus there's always tons of (non-paleo) foods around and dessert every Thursday. So, today was dessert day. And where in the past today might trip me up after a week of no gum, no gluten/ no sugar, I stuck to my guns and left a mile radius between me and the dessert table. Even though said dessert table contained pecan pie squares. Ahhhhhhh.

Breakfast: 3 eggs with mushrooms and onions, water, 1 tbsp coconut oil

Lunch: Leftover chicken roasted with shallots, sage and thyme, 2 closed handfuls cashew/ walnut mix, spinach, water, cinnamon tea

Dinner: Canned tuna (as a much-welcome alternative to tonight's meatloaf dinner), green beans, salad, 1 tbsp coconut manna, 1 tbsp almond butter, water, 1/2 bottle ginger kombucha

Last night's sleep: 9 hours

I'm curious about the live-and-work-in-a-residential-treatment setting. Can you tell me more? Do you have your own kitchen, or is the food that they cook the only food available?

Regarding tons of non-paleo foods & desserts around, check out my Whole30 log. I work at Twitter and there's *tons* of high quality catered foods for 14 meals a week, plus a ridiculous amount of snacks... all free.

Hey! I'm the daytime/ evening supervisor at what is pretty much the equivalent of a rehabilitation center or halfway house. There's a kitchen, and I get free reign over it during breakfast and lunch hours, but dinner is pretty much a set thing and menus get set by residents, who have the responsibility of cooking for everyone once a week. So no, I don't have my own kitchen but I do have access to one--most of the time. The center is stocked with food, which everyone has access to whenever. They do a really good job of stocking fruits and veggies, subscribing to a CSA, always having almond butter, but there's also tons of yogurt, granola bars, chocolate, cheese, bread, etc.

That catering set-up at Twitter sounds amazing, though I could see how the lack of control over preparation methods, ingredients etc. could get frustrating!

Today wasn't easy--definitely had a several hour period of not wanting to speak to anyone on this planet ever again, but you know, got over it and had some coconut oil. Or maybe had some coconut oil and then got over it. Anyhow.

Breakfast: Sauteed red cabbage, roasted chicken, 1tbsp coconut manna

Lunch: Sauteed red cabbage, pastrami, bologna, 2 tbsp almond butter

Snack: 1 tbsp coconut oil

Dinner: butternut squash and leek soup, 2 tbsp almond butter, roasted chicken

Last night's sleep: 4.5 hours(!) -- for some reason, I've been waking up at 5am the past couple of mornings. Usually I can coax myself back to sleep. Today I couldn't.

Day 5 down! Today was by far the easiest yet, though that might have to do with the fact that today was the first day that I didn't have gobs of free time on my hands. Note to self: get busier.

Breakfast: 3 egg scramble in coconut oil, sauteed swiss chard

Lunch: Melissa J's Best Chicken Ever (and it was. so good.), leftover butternut squash and leek soup, 1 tbsp coconut oil

Dinner: More chicken, more soup, more coconut oil, plus frozen blueberries!

Thanks Natalie! Easier said than done, however. It never ceases to amaze me how bored I can get at work--even if I consider my day to be 'crazy busy.' Tonight at work was a slow one, but as I chug along on this Whole30 I gain momentum, and that momentum really helps me to stay on track.

Day six.

Breakfast: Larabar and gingerade kombucha (I was stranded in the city and unprepared--I had to walk to the nearest health food store to buy this glamorous $5 breakfast).

Lunch: Ground turkey, egg, kale, and onion sautee, one tbsp coconut oil, water, tea, almonds.

Dinner: Loads o' roasted brussels sprouts doused in olive oil, baked chicken, tea, pecans.

Day seven, smooth sailing 'til it hit 8 o'clock. At which point my brain started to itch, almost literally, for anything carb-related in sight, meaning: fresh-cooked pizza on the counter, granola bars in a glass bowl, chocolate chips in the cupboard, bagels in the bread box, etc. It was torture. I drank a cup of tea and tried to wait it out, then I grabbed a handful (or two) of pecans--after that didn't kill it, I had a Larabar some Applegate Farms bologna. Right now I'm better, but still a lil itchy. Fortunately I'm also exhausted, so I'll see if I can just sleep this one out.

Breakfast: 3 hard boiled eggs, carrots sauteed in olive oil

Lunch: Grount Turkey scrambled with eggs, kale, and onion in olive oil, leftover roasted brussels sprouts

Dinner: Baked chicken, roasted asparagus, sauteed cabbage, 1 tbsp coconut oil

Snack: Tea, 1.5 closed handfuls pecan/ almond mix, Larabar, Applegate Farms Bologna

Zoinks! Went to bed before I had a chance to log yesterday's meals. Sleep > most things. Anyhow, day eight:

Breakfast: Ground Turkey, Kale, Egg, and Onion Scramble, Green Tea, H20

Lunch: Brined 'n Baked Chicken, 2 tbsp coconut oil, sauteed cabbage

Snack: Blueberry Larabar

Dinner: So many nuts (walnuts, cashews, pecans), Baked Butternut Squash with Coconut Oil, Flank Steak

Snack: Frozen Pineapple Tidbits (thank you, Trader Joe's!)

Can't believe it's already day nine. I've been reacquainting myself with the feeling of being full--comfortably full--and the ritual of actually sitting down and enjoying a meal. It's kind of incredible.

Breakfast: Coconut Curry Chicken Ginger Soup, leftover Baked Butternut Squash, 2 tbsp Coconut Oil, Water, Tea

Lunch: Grilled Salmon with a Spinach Salad, Balsamic Vinegar, Olive Oil, 1 Apple, Water, Tea

Dinner: Ground Turkey, Kale, Pepper, Onion, and Egg scramble, Cabbage Slaw, Olive Oil, Balsamic Vinegar, 1 tbsp Coconut Oil.

Day ten (1/3 there!)

Breakfast: Ground turkey, egg, kale, and onion scramble, 2 tbsp coconut oil, water, tea

Lunch: Sauteed cabbage, pork chop, handful macadamia nuts, raisins, water, tea

Dinner: Mustard baked chicken, roasted brussels sprouts (with lots of olive oil), water, frozen wild blueberries with coconut shreds

Day 11, donezo!

Breakfast: cherry larabar, 1 tsp coconut oil, leftover brussels sprouts, frozen mango bits (not my proudest meal)

Lunch: 2 handfuls pecans, leftover chicken, kale salad

Dinner: Cabbage, chicken sausages (thank you, Costco!), raisins and nut mix

Day Twelve:

Breakfast: Chicken and apple sausage, a mug of frozen pineapple and blueberries, 1 tbsp coconut oil

Lunch: Turkey, egg, onion, and kale scramble, cabbage salad, cacao nibs

Dinner: Grilled chicken, roasted curried cauliflower, handful almond

Archived