A New Beginning with Whole30 starts, Oct 24

samwise85

Hi, my name is Sam from Houston, TX. After searching high and low for a program, I'm putting all my eggs into this basket because when I keep running it past so many other friends/colleagues they nod their head in admiration. That is a great sign for me as I start a new journey beginning Oct 24...just before Thanksgiving and month before Christmas. Figured it was a smart start day because I wanted to roll into the new year with some good habits...rather than prolong the process of coming up with a "new year resolutions."

I am a freshman to the program, a 30 years old male, full time working professional with nothing to lose by committing 30 days to this program. I believe the hardest thing for me is going to be the daily accountability and I've already told friends, family & colleagues about this but none of them are journeying with me...but many of YOU are.

I'm hoping to jump on here daily or every other day to find out from all you superstars on ways to stand firm on this commitment. Thanks in advance for any words of encouragement and support you all provide!

Brand new to this program too.  There are a number of people who started threads who are starting tomorrow - check the posts and join one.  Didn't realize the end date would be just before T-day weekend, but that's good!  We're not expecting a traditional holiday this year so it won't be as challenging as prior years.  Doing this alone too.  DH acts like he will participate, but he's not fully engaged so I'm not counting on him.  Good luck, Sam!  

Hi Sam! My husband and I are starting tomorrow as well. We had exactly the same thinking as you - complete the program just before the  holidays and going to the new year with new habits. We're here to support you, it is a first time for us as well. I think a meal planning and prepping will be our biggest challenge. I look forward to exchanging ideas. Good luck!!

Hi everyone.  I've done a few Whole30s and shorter versions (Whole14, Whole7, etc), but am in it again for 30 days.  The past few months have been unusually stressful for me and I haven't been eating as well as I usually do and have been drinking more than I'd like, so I'm kickstarting myself with a Whole30.

Have you all stocked your refrigerators with good food??!!  I made mayo today and have a pot of lamb on the stove now to eat deconstructed gyros from Well Fed 2.

I was worried about this timing being so close/right before the holidays, but I like the way you all are saying it: this way, we'll roll into the new year with the better habits vs. starting on Jan 1!   My husband loves healthy eating and cooking, so he will eat compliant dinners and leftovers with me, but I too am really nervous about the daily accountability.  Day 1, here we go!

20 hours ago, habanero said:

Brand new to this program too.  There are a number of people who started threads who are starting tomorrow - check the posts and join one.  Didn't realize the end date would be just before T-day weekend, but that's good!  We're not expecting a traditional holiday this year so it won't be as challenging as prior years.  Doing this alone too.  DH acts like he will participate, but he's not fully engaged so I'm not counting on him.  Good luck, Sam!  

Hello. Thanks! I glad too that there is a Snap kitchen near by. Have you any experience with them?

15 hours ago, snowflower said:

Hi everyone.  I've done a few Whole30s and shorter versions (Whole14, Whole7, etc), but am in it again for 30 days.  The past few months have been unusually stressful for me and I haven't been eating as well as I usually do and have been drinking more than I'd like, so I'm kickstarting myself with a Whole30.

Have you all stocked your refrigerators with good food??!!  I made mayo today and have a pot of lamb on the stove now to eat deconstructed gyros from Well Fed 2.

Hello. Emptying the kitchen starts tonight. Family emergencies kept me busy this weekend but I'm starting off right this morning. I haven't read anything about a strong exercise plan in conjunction with the Whole30 plan. Any recommendations?

16 hours ago, Dilleonova said:

Hi Sam! My husband and I are starting tomorrow as well. We had exactly the same thinking as you - complete the program just before the  holidays and going to the new year with new habits. We're here to support you, it is a first time for us as well. I think a meal planning and prepping will be our biggest challenge. I look forward to exchanging ideas. Good luck!!

Good morning. Yes, did you purchase the main book and the cookbook? I mean I like to cook and can come up with ideas but still wanted to see what suggestions on home prepared meals that are list approved. What is yalls plan on attack on this one?

7 minutes ago, samwise85 said:

Hello. Thanks! I glad too that there is a Snap kitchen near by. Have you any experience with them?

Hi, Sam.  I don't think there is a Snap kitchen near me (I'm in New York).  But would love to hear about your experience with it!  Thanks for starting this thread.

5 minutes ago, samwise85 said:

Good morning. Yes, did you purchase the main book and the cookbook? I mean I like to cook and can come up with ideas but still wanted to see what suggestions on home prepared meals that are list approved. What is yalls plan on attack on this one?

I got the book out of my local library on Friday. It has instructions and a large recipe section.  I wanted to start off easy so I picked a couple of recipes from the book to get me started (well, the spinach fritatta and the mayo so far.  I'll hone in on a couple more within the next day or so).  I really like to cook but don't want to go too crazy and am going to try to keep as much as simple as possible.  One of the things I do like to do is to make a large batch of something when I find something I like.  This saves having to slog through the whole cooking thing for that many additional meals.  So I'll be looking at the stew/soup recipes.  I also hard boiled a half dozen eggs and roasted everything in sight the other day (cauliflower, brussels sprouts, onion, potato, carrot) so I have 3 containers of delish veggies all ready to go in the fridge, and picked up a bunch of apples at the farm stand and oranges at Costco yesterday.  Looking forward to what everyone else uses as strategies.  

Archived