extend Whole30 if inflammation flares up in the middle?

I started the Whole30 knowing I have some autoimmune stuff (genetic marker for arthritis of the spine; inflammation, difficulty losing weight despite lots of exercise and relatively healthy diet). Around Day 5 I noticed increased anxiety, difficulty sleeping, getting flushed a lot, and crying fits (for good reasons, but still). By Day 12 I broke out in hives, first on my forearms and behind my ears, then over the course of several days, all over except my abdomen and face. I figured out it was a histamine response and I had upped my intake of kombucha and fermented foods (I noticed a few other posts related to this, so I am glad I am not alone). I immediately eliminated fermented foods and tried as much as possible to do the low-histamine Whole30. As the hives went down (gradually) I did have a few nuts and eggs, so didn't follow it to the letter. Now I am on Day 23 and the hives are 90% gone and I feel much calmer, sleeping better, moods are better, i.e. the inflammation has mostly abated, I think. My question, then, is, should I now tack another 23 days onto my Whole30, given that the logic of the whole thing is to be without inflammation for 30 days, but I had inflammation (more than usual) until now. Or is it better to do AIP? Or just be happy that I figured out my problem and feel better, and gradually start introducing foods at Day 31? Thank you...

• Administrators

Sorry that you struggled but very glad you were able to figure out your trigger. Personally yes, I would take today as the first day because of your mid-way issue. We often advise people that have underlying issues, especially auto-immune that they may wish to do a Whole60 or even Whole90 before they start reintroducing. Long standing health issues and inflammation can take longer to resolve in some people. If you aren't too bothered by it, go ahead and extend your trial. :)

Archived