Do I really need to do pre and post workout meals?

Busy Working Mom

I'm on day two of my whole30 and am hoping to lose some weight (in addition to other NSV's of course!!). Can I skip the pre and post workout meals? I cannot FATHOM putting any more protein in my system now. I feel soooo full and it disturbs me to eat when I'm not hungry particularly because I have like 40 lb to lose. I plan to do a 40 minute brush walk (4 miles an hour). Any advice? 

I'd say you'd be fine without a preWO for sure, and you'll probably be okay without the postWO too if it doesn't raise your heart rate significantly - I'd try without & if you're struggling to recover, or find yourself particularly hungry on the days that you include the walk then add in a small postWO meal of a lean protein & optional starchy carb.

It may seem counter intuitive, but your body may well need the additional fuel in order to fully recover.

Thanks @jmcbn that's really helpful.

My heart-rate gets up to about 130-135 for most of my workout. (I'm 40 years old)

Would you consider that not too significant? I work hard during my workouts. I walk at 4-4.2 miles an hour most of the time with a few sprints to spice things up. According to my Apple Watch I burn about 250-300 calories. 

I don't find myself hungry after my workouts and don't struggle to recover at all. I feel good and strong afterwards! :)

That was Pre-Whole30 so maybe I'll have a different experience now. I workout in the evening, about 2 hours before bedtime. (I know it's not ideal, but that's the only time I have.)  I don't really have time to get hungry after my workout. Last night, I did a really brisk walk with some sprinting for about 45 minutes.  I skipped the post-workout meal because I couldn't fathom eating anything. I was definitely not hungry and didn't feel I was having any recovery issues. 

Do you think it sounds ok not to have the post-workout meal based on the speed, heart-rate and experiences? Thanks so much for your insights. 

It really is a case of 'suck it & see' because the recovery aspect will not show in a day, but rather over a period of time when the muscles have been pushed without enough protein to recover.

And what you might consider a raised heart rate for instance, may not seem that elevated to me as I might have a different level of cardiovascular fitness. Can you easily carry a conversation while walking/running? Are you breaking a sweat?

Consider also that your needs will change. For instance I had trained fasted for a couple of years when I first came to Whole30 & discovered 2wks in that I needed a preWO meal of some kind. 18mths later however (I've not been W30ing for 18mths BTW but do stick to the fundamental principles) I'm back to training fasted again, without issue, on the 2 days a week I train early doors.

Try going without and see how you feel - your body will soon tell you when you're not providing enough fuel - you just need to learn to listen.

Archived