On your mark, get set... GO!

becs

Well, here I am on Day 31, and you know what? I don't feel like I've completed something, or that I've crossed some virtual finish line. It's quite the opposite, actually. I feel like I'm finally toeing the starting line, waiting for the gun to go off. THIS is where the hard work starts. THIS is where I begin to learn how to live a life of Food Freedom.

My Whole30 was shockingly easy. I had hard-set rules that freed me from all the pesky decision-making around what to put in my mouth. I didn't have to think about anything, or battle with will-power, or go through the "is it worth it?" mind games. That part of the process is coming soon! But for now, I get to warm up a bit more with reintroductions before the race actually starts. I'm nervous, jittery, wondering if I've got what it takes. But I have a plan, and a host of NSVs to prop me up and give me a little extra gas when I need it. I've got this!

Before I started the Whole30, my food of choice was anything crunchy, salty, and binge-worthy - chips, crackers, cheese-its, etc. I would eat entire bags in one sitting, and I rarely saw a vegetable go into my mouth. I was depressed, moody, constantly anxious, and 35 pounds over-weight. It's amazing how many things can change in 30 days. A few of my NSVs:

• I am genuinely happy 
  • I don't feel stressed out all the time, and when stress pops up, it's short-lived
  • Anxiety no longer keeps me awake hours after my head hits the pillow
  • My skin is clearing up
  • I have energy all day long - no more longing for a nap at 2pm
  • I'm fitting into some of the smaller clothes in my closet that have been neglected for far too long
  • My self-esteem and confidence are on the rise
  • I no longer snap at my husband for no good reason

The list goes on! I am thrilled with where I am, and excited to move on to the next stage. I'm also much more aware of my unhealthy triggers and habits, which I'm still (and will always be) working on. I know that I can NEVER bring my old favorite salty treats into the house. I know that sitting in front of the TV at night after my husband has gone to bed is a recipe for disaster. I know that I need to get an If/Then list going ASAP. I also know that I can and will indulge in "worth it" foods in the future, and I'm looking forward to that, too.

Learning how to live a life of healthy Food Freedom is not going to be easy, but I'm ready for the challenge.

Archived