Bikegal's whole30 log

bikegal

Day one success!

Not surprising that my day time food choices were easy-breezy- I have been enjoying lots of veg for breakfast for the past couple months and a big salad for lunch never fails to satisfy (when it's full of avocado, olives, chicken & kimchi!).

The big victory today is the after dinner eating. Usually I finish eating then start studying, usually with a little post-dinner snack like a handful of almonds and some dried fruit. This quickly turns into more almonds and fruit, then more fruit, then more almonds... I decided to take a short walk after dinner to create some space, then when I felt hungry later while studying, I really thought about it. I decided I was actually still hungry so had some cold chicken and olives. It may not be steamed fish and broccoli, but the effect was similar!

Now I'm done and feeling really good.

Day three awesome!

Things have been going really well and smoothly, although I have been spending way too much of my free time on paleo-themed food blogs... That would be my tendency to obsess a little.

I kind of have to catch myself from feeling like too much of a super hero because it's only been 3 days so far, and there are many more, and tougher ones to come. But already I'm sleeping better and feeling so much less stressed about food in general, but especially at night. This has been a good experience in being more mindful and aware of what's going in my mouth.

I realize that it's very comforting to know that the forum is here to check in and ask questions. Thanks for all the accountability and resources!

By the way Derval- I was on your Pinterest board after reading the thread about how to organize recipes. Great stuff! Thanks! I've since been putting my own together (which may explain all the time I've been hunting on the blogs).

Day four went surprisingly well with my first curve ball- Friday night rock show followed by drinks with friends. I had two club sodas and still had a great time. I also always want a treat on the weekends, but I managed to appease myself with zucchini noodles from Well Fed.

Now I'm off to a (late) family thanksgiving, armed with ready explanations and trepidation...

Okay- Starting over.

I feel really okay about this though. The family thanksgiving event was with really dear family who I hadn't seen for almost a year who had all gone to great efforts to make beautiful food. It was a small, intimate gathering and I wanted to be able to fully participate and not make it about my special needs. I truly believe that if this had been a run of the mill get together, I wouldn't have made that choice, but I feel like times like these are what special food is all about.

Some people might see these as excuses, and that's fine. I feel comfortable with this, but I will still start my count back at day 1. With leftover turkey for breakfast, so it's still good. :)

Archived