Whole 22 until 11/7

befabdaily

After a couple of weekends in which I experienced all that Wilmington NC and Seattle had to offer (including Moroccan food, piroshky, crepes, beer and wine) I am back to being strict (and accountable) at least until my next business travel which comes up on Nov.7, and is followed the next week by another business trip, and the week after that by a Thanksgiving visit to the fam. I need to prepare myself for a couple of not-good food weeks, is what I'm saying.

I got home on Tuesday night, ate a delicious and compliant post-travel dinner (3 eggs, avocado, 1/4 c. of Bubbie's sauerkraut, an apple), and got almost 9 hours of sleep.

Yesterday (Day 1) I did no exercise at all, not even walking. My back and hamstrings were tight from 4 days of conference room and airplane sitting, I had a headache, I just played it cool.

• Breakfast: 3 eggs, avocado, 1/4 c. sauerkraut, coffee with coconut milk
  • Lunch: 2 small apples, 1 c. cooked ground beef, tomato sauce, handful of olives (the cupboard was a bit bare).
  • Dinner: ribeye steak, broccolini with rosemary avocado oil mayo, 3 cubes of pineapple

I got about 8 hours of sleep last night too!

Today (Day 2) I walked 1.74 miles in the morning and taught a beginner belly dance class in the evening.

• Breakfast: 3 eggs, broccolini with rosemary avocado oil mayo, small avocado, coffee with coconut milk
  • Lunch: 2 cups bone broth, sweet potato with mayo, crio bru with coconut milk
  • Dinner: ribeye steak, sauteed cherry tomatoes, 1/4 c. sauerkraut, apple

Today (Day 3) I did 4x15 incline push-ups and 4x20 short bridges, and taught belly dance class in the evening.

• Breakfast: 3 eggs, small avocado, coffee with coconut milk
  • Lunch: bo kho (sans noodles or bread), fresh coconut juice with coconut pieces
  • Dinner: chocolate chili, sauerkraut, apple, maybe a few more pistachios than strictly necessary

I slept nearly 9 hours last night because I forgot to set my alarm. Lunch was a meal out with my faculty mentee that I'd planned before going on this latest Whole30, and I managed to keep it pretty clean without obsessing over the fact that there was probably a little sugar in the bo kho broth.

Glad you are back on track and doing well! Good goals too.

It is so easy to offroad for far longer than we plan. At least that is the case for me. :( Good thing is, this time I didn't stress because i just KNEW it was only temporary. I know what I want my regular healthy lifestyle to involve. I'm tightening things up after a couple of non-routine weeks with offroading coupled with some laziness. Was nice for a while, but getting bored with it now. This morning, I cooked a whole chicken, and the bones are back in the crockpot right now making some yummy broth, and tomorrow I will turn it all into a yummy soup. I will keep half noodle free for me, and then add a few noodles to the rest for the family. Feels good to cook again. I am actually looking forward to a couple hours of meal prep on Sunday afternoon to set myself up for a great week!

Today (Day 4) was great. I can feel my fat adaptation quickly returning to the fore, because I have felt very little hunger even when I've eaten relatively little. All the bloat that I picked up eating (totally delicious and temporarily worthwhile) offroad treats is gone. I got over 8 hours of sleep last night. This morning I did 3x15 flat knee raises, a little foam rolling, and then a Zumba class where I left it all on the road, as they say. I always get nervous that my enjoyment of dance class is breaking the "no chronic cardio" rule, but I'm just going to call it the modern equivalent of dancing joyfully around the fire with my tribe, because I ain't giving it up.

• Breakfast: 3 eggs, 1 cup of cherry tomatoes, coffee with coconut milk
  • Lunch: sweet potato with rosemary mayo, pan-fried black cod coated with almond meal
  • Dinner: a little each of roast chicken and roast pork (clearing out leftovers before tomorrow's cook-up), 2 large carrots, sauerkraut, crio bru with coconut milk

Since I added the Bubbie's sauerkraut, I have noticed a major improvement in gut behavior. Paleo food removes the bloat and stuffed feeling, but (TMI) loosens things up a bit too much. The sauerkraut seems to straighten that out.

Also, three days ago, I added a small negative ion generator to my bedroom, based on reading somewhere that it was good for those coping with SAD-ish feelings in the dark months. The last three nights, I have slept like the proverbial ROCK. Coincidence? Only time will tell.

Last night I got an utterly groovy 8.5 hours of sleep. I feel like I'm recovering from a sickness that never manifested, somehow. I have been wanting to sleep a ton.

Today (Day 5) I did a cook-up: rogan josh and apple-brined roasted chicken roasted over apples and fennel. I also did 2x12 supported squats, and walked a mile in the sunshine. I read a book, did laundry, petted cats, and did not think about work.

• Breakfast: 3 eggs, small avocado, apple, coffee with coconut milk
  • Lunch: pan-fried chicken livers, a little bit of roasted chicken, large carrot, sauerkraut, handful of pistachios
  • Snack: crio bru with coconut milk
  • Dinner: tri-tip steak (on its way into rogan josh), green smoothie: 1/4 cup pineapple, 2 c. spinach, small avocado, 2 tbsp unsweetened cider, 1/2 c. coconut milk

Normally I am not a smoothie person, so this was not giving into some suppressed habit of consuming food in liquid form. I just had some spinach to use up and I was really not feeling a salad. Even the small amounts of cider and pineapple that I used made this seem as sweet as ice cream.

Augh. After four days of great sleep, I had a lousy one last night. The book I was finishing right before bed went in the last instant from being a sort of innocuous adventure story to being an unexpectedly bleak reflection on mortality. I woke up at 3:55 to pee and had work thoughts and couldn't get back to sleep. Then I finally fell asleep again and had weird dreams and the alarm startled me awake.

I kinda wonder if it was the smoothie's fault. Who knows?

It's funny, as I get better at sleep I have a greater sense of injustice when I don't get the awesome sleep that I AM OWED.

(Day 6) this morning I did 3 x 20 shoulderstand squats, 3 x 25 each side one-armed vertical pulls, 50 vertical pulls, 5 minutes of headstand and 2 minutes of shoulderstand.

Sunrise is about 7:35 here right now, and it's absolutely killing my motivation for morning walks. So, I decided to focus on making sure I do some strength exercise (rotating muscle groups, of course) every day.

• Breakfast: 3 eggs, small avocado, sauerkraut, coffee with coconut milk
  • Lunch: sweet potato, grassfed rogan josh
  • Dinner: almond-breaded chicken livers, panfried cherry tomatoes, apple, handful of pistachios, crio bru with coconut milk

Now I'm off to teach belly dance for an hour and a half.

(Day 7) Got better, but not long enough sleep last night after the presidential debate. This morning: 4 x 20 flat knee raises, 3 x 25 standing calf raises, 3 min. each headstand and shoulderstand, then tonight an hour of Zumba.

• Breakfast: 3 eggs, small avocado, coffee with coconut milk
  • Lunch: sweet potato, grassfed rogan josh
  • Dinner: roasted chicken, apple, sauerkraut, handful of pistachios

Sunrise is about 7:35 here right now, and it's absolutely killing my motivation for morning walks. So, I decided to focus on making sure I do some strength exercise (rotating muscle groups, of course) every day.

I am totally over my morning walks too! Maybe it's partly due to the season change and dark mornings. Got sick three weeks ago and missed my first four days of exercise all year. Can't make myself do the regular walk every day now. :(

I'm trying to change things up just like you are. I've done a few little conditioning workouts with the kids in the afternoons and it's been fun. We do a little circuit in our garage, driveway and cul de sac with some combination of pushups, sprint/jog, jumping jacks, agility ladder, box jumps or wall ball squats. It's been quite fun because we do a little circuit 10 or more times and we play loud music in the garage. It has me moving more than my walks did. Kids love it too. ;)

Yeah, we've got a whole other week until daylight savings time ends and the sun will rise before 7 again. Fortunately, I am not chained to my desk in my job, and we have all sorts of nice walking trails on campus. I have been trying to get up from my desk a couple of times a day and go for a little walk when the sun is out.

I also just ordered a weird, cultish exercise video called T-Tapp that people swear by for improving body alignment and core strength. I'm going to try to add that to my morning routine for a while.

Wednesday I did 6 sets of incline push-ups. I'm trying to move to a lower incline, gradually, without reinjuring my shoulder. Yesterday (Day 9) I did 6 x 12 supported squats.

• Breakfast: 3 eggs, small avocado, apple, coffee with coconut milk
  • Lunch: sweet potato, saag gosht, clementines
  • Dinner: pan-fried black cod, a bad snacky-munchy go at the pistachios (three closed fists), crio bru with coconut milk

I also SCREWED THINGS UP by mindlessly eating 2 small chocolate mints at lunch. I am, however, just going to keep going, since I am mainly doing this to be at a good clean eating baseline before my upcoming trips, not to figure things out anew.

I still marvel at how clear my sinuses get every time I go back to being Whole30 clean after a few days off. It is practically medical malpractice that my doctors kept prescribing me steroids or doing nothing for years and years as I snuffled along not breathing normally, instead of just telling me to try cutting out likely irritants.

This morning I did five minutes in headstand; in the evening I taught belly dance. Somehow I got in over 3 miles of walking, too, in the course of my job.

• Breakfast: 3 eggs, small avocado, sauerkraut, coffee with coconut milk
  • Lunch: sweet potato, chicken, apple
  • Dinner: egg-lemon soup with spinach, closed handful of pistachios, crio bru with coconut milk

Archived