Easing off of anti-depressant (Paxil)

Hi,

After about 12 years on Paxil, I'm working with my doctor to slowly decrease my Paxil dosage so that I can get completely off the med. I know that Paxil can cause awful withdrawal symptoms for some folks, so I'm trying to prepare the best I can to head off any serious withdrawal problems. I've been on 30 mg - doc recommended 20 mg for 2 weeks, then 10 mg for 2 wks, then switch to Prozac for 4 weeks, then off Prozac. I quit drinking weeks ago (shouldn't have been drinking while taking the meds, but still did); now I'm doing a round of whole 30 b/c I think it will help also (did it about a year ago). I'd appreciate any other ideas or thoughts on whole 30 compliant types of foods that would be especially helpful for me during this time.

thanks all!

I am on prozac plus other meds for medical conditions...I find good amounts of starchy vegs in my daily intake are important for my anxiety and depression and may help your body in a time of extra stress.

It's not just food though - a lot of self-care will be important, a regular routine, relaxation/meditation, drinking enough water etc...

can you get a tablet splitter and gradually slice a piece of the pill off each day? or get it in liquid form and gradually lower the dose like that? that's the only way i can come off drugs

how far along in your whole30 are you?

Hi...thanks for posting. We're just starting whole 30 this weekend. We've done it before, though. Yes, lots of water, exercise, and no caffeine will be important. I have a doc appt in early Feb and will ask my doc about using either a pill splitter or the liquid form, if needed. I'm switching to decaf herbal tea in place of coffee, too.

thanks!

Archived