What to look for on labels?

luckykit

Hi all!

I'm super excited to be starting my first ever Whole30 this upcoming Sunday. I'm a pretty healthy eater now and have done low-carb before (not that Whole30 is low carb, but I'm used to changing my ways of eating), but this is a whole new way of thinking. I'm not sure what I need to be looking for on labels, and I haven't found much info anywhere, either in the book or here. What ingredients am I supposed to be avoiding, other than certain oils, soy, sugars, and MSG? I know there are tons of other weird chemically sounding ingredients out there, and while I mostly buy food that isn't packaged, I'm a bit nervous about the few things that come in packages.

Thanks for any advice you can provide!

• Administrators

All the info is available in both the book and the website so that's a bit strange you aren't able to locate it?  There are tonnes of additives that get put in our food that are not against Whole30 but which the individual may choose not to include.

A great resource for additives can be found by Googling "Whole30 common additives" and there is a handy download that should pop up. 

ah, thanks for the cheat sheet - i guess i wasn't looking for "additives" and that makes the difference! i found more in the book about what you can eat (understandably, since they're framing it in a positive way!) and only saw the bits about sugars, MSG, and carrageenan. 

i'll have to print this and take it to the grocery with me. :)

Archived