Is it true that fat loss can release hormones?

juni

I recently re-committed to a Paleo diet and something strange is happening that happened the first time around---about a month in, I get the most intense estrogen overload symptoms.

My breasts are so tender and swollen, my energy levels are wildly irregular, my moods are all over the place and I just feel "out of it".

This did eventually level out the first go round---took almost three weeks though and I had kind of started to slip so my fat loss had halted...Now that I am back on in a strict, Whole 30 way these symptoms are coming back and frankly, they suck.

Yes, I do take birth control and have for many years. I'm willing to hear arguments against it but as I have not had children, my gyno will not approve a non-hormone IUD. I'm fearful of the rhythm method. I've been in a steady relationship for almost 4 years so it's something I can talk to my bf about but I think we are both not too excited about going back to condoms...However, I realize that if I decide this is best he/we can suck it up and make the change. Another concern for me is that I've been on the pill for most of my late teenage and adult life (at least 17 years with very little time off). I went off them 3 years ago for about 4 months and it was kind of rocky balancing out.

Any others have similar experiences with this? I read on Paleo Hacks that when in fat loss mode the body can release hormones like estrogen so it is pretty normal for many women in early Paleo transition can have some ups and downs. Is this true?

Any input is appreciated,

Juni

Interesting juni. I don't have any info on whether or not that is a common thing to happen but just wanted to add that I'm in the middle of my first Whole30 and my period arrived 12 days before it was due so some kind of hormonal madness going on! I usually have 28 day cycles which are as regular as clockwork so it is very out of the ordinary for me. Hopefully it's because I'm in fat loss mode :)

Sorry you are feeling bad-hope things level out for you soon and hope someone else can offer you some advice. Just thought I'd add my experience as it seems to show some sort of unusual hormonal activity too.

Hey SummerGirl-

Last time this happened to me my period started early too and lasted ten days---and I'm on the pill so it was strange. Hopefully someone has more knowledge on the subject and can enlighten us both! :)

Interesting that I am not the only one. Are you ladies also on the pill (hope that's not too personal)?

Sounds like my symptoms are a bit more intense but I do feel better knowing that there are other ladies going through some fluctuations.

I think we're a little confused on this one, so let me try to help. Fat cells do produce estrogen, which can contribute to sex hormone imbalances. Losing body fat means the body is producing less estrogen, but fat loss doesn't result in a "release" of estrogen.

It's doubtful that you've lost so much fat in just a few weeks that your estrogen levels are out of whack JUST becausee of the fat loss. However, other hormones (like insulin) have a profound effect on sex hormone balance. Adjusting your metabolism by changing the foods on your plate can seriously impact things like your monthly cycle and your sex hormones while the body adjusts. This is further complicated by hormonal birth control pislls, which introduce external sources of estrogen and progesteron.

I would never tell you to go off the pill, ever. That's your choice, of course. But I will say that if my doctor refused to approve my bc preference without a valid medical reason, I'd find another doctor. (In fact, even if my doc did have a "valid" medical reason, I'd probably still ask someone else.) We're working on a post right now about non-hormonal bc choices, but the copper IUD is extremely safe, can be more effective than the pill, and is perfectly acceptable for those in a committed relationship, even if they've never had a child. Perhaps a second opinion is in order?

In the meantime, know that the hormonal dysregulation you believe is occurring is pretty normal, given the metabolic changes your body is going through. Most women find it evens out within a few months of this way of eating, but again, with the addition of external hormones, I can't say for sure what your path will be like.

Hope that helps - but remember, I'm not a doctor. You should always speak with your health care professional if you're worried about your symptoms.

Best,

Melissa

Melissa-

thank you so much, that really eased my mind. I thought it sounded far fetched that the fat release would be creating an estrogen dump but have been so perplexed by these almost pregnancy like symptoms. I know that major lifestyle changes demand our patience as we adjust, I just wanted to make sure this wasn't anything too out of the ordinary. I feel you and the other women who have expressed some irregularity have provided that assurance for me. *Phew*

I'm also very excited to hear that you support the copper IUD. Can't wait for the article you speak of! I have a doctor's appt. tomorrow actually for something else and will re-visit the topic. What I was told by a past gyno is that the IUD can fall out or cause a lot of discomfort/cramping for women who have not had any children so they didn't recc. Pain wasn't too attractive but synthetic hormones aren't either...

I'll talk to my doc tomorrow and allow myself a few months to even out. I guess, if anything, I should be happy to know that the changes I am making now are shaking things up! I have faith in the human body to know that if my changes involve feeding myself healthy food and exercising that things should work out in the end. :)

Thanks again for taking the time to ease my mind,

Juni

Interesting that I am not the only one. Are you ladies also on the pill (hope that's not too personal)?

Sounds like my symptoms are a bit more intense but I do feel better knowing that there are other ladies going through some fluctuations.

Hi juni, no I'm not on the pill-so it's not connected to that in my case.

Melissa, thanks for your post!

Juni,

Again, birth conrol is a very personal decision... but I think that she is overstating the risks and downsides of the copper IUD. They can fall out (or be expelled), but from what I understand, that's rare - and if that does happen, you just get another one inserted. As for pain, it's not that much fun going in, but that only lasts about 90 seconds in total. I did experience more severe cramping on the first day of my cycle when I first got it, but it was nothing that 2 Advil could not handle - and since I've been eating clean for so long, my cramps are practically non-exsistent these days. My flow is a bit heavier on the first two days, but again - nothing normal protection can't handle.

And for context, I've had two copper IUDs - the first for six years, and the second for three. They're the best thing I've ever done - no hormones, no thinking about it, no side effects. Of course, everyone is different, and just because they've worked brilliant for me doesn't mean they'll work brilliant for everyone - but that's my story.

We'll get that article up soon - Erin (our new Operations Director and an MPH - Master's of Public Health) has published several papers on this topic, and she's now our resident family planning expert.

Melissa

This is helpful information, Melissa--thanks!

I'm two weeks post-Whole30. I use an IUD with hormone. I'm on my second, and it's almost time for a new "installation." I'd been considering switching to copper, but had read so many horror stories about excessive bleeding and cramping, and historically (pre-BC and pre-kids) I've had long and painful periods, so this makes me think twice.

Of course, a lot in my own body may have changed in those...oh...15+ years, but specifically I wonder whether a lifestyle free of added sugar, grains, dairy, legumes and fake stuff will reduce the likelihood of a bad experience. Not to mention being alcohol-free and no longer obese.

Also notably (to me, anyway), on this IUD my periods are hardly worth mentioning. I have all the symptoms of a full cycle, ovulation, then the fun of a luteal phase, a couple of cramps and maybe, maybe I'll spot for a day. If that. During my Whole30, I bled for a full week, like a real period, the first I've had in many years. Wasn't bad, but seemed so odd. Again, interesting to wonder how insulin and cortisol are busy fiddling around with things when we're eating a lot of junk and not respecting our need for sleep, relaxation, etc.

• 1 month later...

I'm so pleased I stumbled across this thread. I'm experiencing similar symptoms to the original poster, Juni.

"My breasts are so tender and swollen, my energy levels are wildly irregular, my moods are all over the place and I just feel "out of it"."

That about sums it up for me right now. I've been "primal" two full years and I'm on day 7 post-decision to clean it up further using Whole30. My skin is starting to clear a bit and I've lost some general "puffiness" likely from water retention. I didn't expect to experience a true carb flu or any other moderate to severe symptoms since basically dropping dairy, alcohol (wine, vodka sodas, and craft beer only), and moving to zero “treats†were my only changes. Then again, I'm sure I was actually having more of those items than I realized at the time. Regardless, it gives one pause to think that the few things I did continue to consume were enough to imbalance my hormones such that I'm experiencing this now. Lol I am on the pill, a low dose of a brand that I've been on for several years.

I'm excited to see how I feel in another 3 – 4 weeks… in 2 months… etc. I'm hoping for clear skin for the first time since turning 25 (31 now), more level moods, and reduced episodes of pain/inflammation. My ultimate goal is to work with my Dr. on stopping antidepressant use and I also I plan to ask about the copper IUD at my next gyno visit. I've been on birth control for almost 17 years with almost no break (8 mo, 2 years ago).

Take care and thanks for posting,

Megan

Hey Megan-

It's been about six weeks since I originally posted and I'd like to give you an update. About ten days after the original post, my body seemed to calm down. Breast tenderness subsided along with other "menstrual type symptoms". I still dealt a lot with energy fluctuations though and even though I've been playing a lot with different carb levels and different Paleo camps (Rob Wolf Autoimmune Protocol, Primal Blueprint, Whole9 and now Perfect Health) I still feel that I haven't quite found the perfect balance. I added in some more carbs, and that made a world of difference. My moods and digestion (read:constipation) were both greatly improved. I wasn't even that low carb, under a hundred but not something super low like under 30grams... If I have learned anything, it's that what works for one person doesn't necessarily work for another. That being said, I still believe in the Paleo way of eating, I have just had to let go of the idea that VLC is super good for everyone and even the idea that I am going to feel like a super hero. When I go really off track and feel terrible is when I realize that I had been feeling pretty awesome all along, just had some kind of unrealistic expectation that I was going to feel AMAZING ALL THE TIME. Maybe I am especially complicated...I do have Hashimoto's Thyroiditis and because of financial issues have been stuck with a doctor who is extremely conservative with the way we are treating it. I am on hormonal b/c still but have decided to try the cervical cap when I run out of pills in two months. That should be another interesting journey adjusting...I was also on Wellbutrin when I originally posted and have since tapered off of that with no real noticeable side effects. I was only on that for a short amount of time.

I am trying to save a bit of money to hire a Paleo coach from Whole9 or Robb Wolf's team as I think having someone help me find my way a little better would be great. All in all, when I truly follow the program, I feel good but it usually requires a bit of tweaking every week or so. I guess that is to be expected. I'm thinking of starting another whole30 as I feel kind of contaminated from the experimentation that I did afterwards---I tried to make it work with you, Dairy! *sniffle, sob*

I wish you luck with all this. You mentioned working with a doctor---sounds like maybe you have a good one who will acknowledge the power of this kind of living. I hope that's the case! Keep us/me posted---your experience is so similar!

Best,

Juni

• 1 month later...

Just wanted to add that both me and a friend of mine are both on hormonal BC and both got our periods very early (1-2 wks) on Whole30. Periods that normally were like clockwork! I just don't get how dietary changes can override ingested hormones! I mean, hormonal BC has prevented me from "synching" up with roommates in the past, and if it can overcome that kind of pull, I just can't wrap my head around my food causing these changes. It's wild!

Also, I would definitely recommend the copper IUD, Paraguard. It's being promoted for younger women (college age especially) who haven't had kids, so I think your doc is living in the past, when it was considered dangerous as the cervix wasn't naturally widened from childbirth. I'd get a second opinion!

Not sure if this was mentioned already... Have you heard of the Fertility Awareness Method? I had bad experienced with the pill and most especially the Mirena IUD. But I also have Hashimoto's Thyroiditis. An autoimmune disease where the body attacks and eventually destroys the thyroid gland.

I've been practicing FAM for 2 years now and my sister for 1 year. She doesn't have children yet, I have a 2yo daughter. It's quite simple really-- you abstain from intercourse while you are ovulating. You can get an app on your iPhone to track and purchase the book about it called "Taking back your fertility" I believe. Google it! It's 99% effective. ;)

Archived