Starting April 1, but I have a question

Aflyingbuttress

Hello! I am planning to start my Whole30 on April 1st and I'm really excited about it. I do have a question though. I was originally planning to do this as an elimination diet in order to figure out which foods irritate me. I just got a full work up and found out a couple of interesting things.

1) I have an MTHFR mutation which is likely the cause of my various medical issues. It's genetic and not due to my diet. Though I do understand that my diet can exacerbate to the issues, which is why it's important for me to be on a whole foods diet, rather than processed foods. But a lot of my symptoms are likely caused by deficiencies I am now aware of and know how to handle. 

2) I also did a full allergy work up and know exactly what foods I do and don't react to. 

Considering this, I'm thinking about just using the Real Plans system to remove the foods I can't eat from my diet and plan my whole foods meals that way. I still plan to stick to it 100%, not go off of it for at least 30 day (though the idea is really for me to do this forever), and not weigh myself and follow the general rules about not making pastries, etc. But before I do that, I'd like to see if there are additional benefits I would still get from eliminating legumes (for example) since I know I have no reaction to them already and since I know now that my deeper medical issues are caused by this genetic issue.

I hope that makes sense. Any advice would be appreciated. 

10 minutes ago, Aflyingbuttress said:

I'd like to see if there are additional benefits I would still get from eliminating legumes (for example) since I know I have no reaction to them already

Legumes are high in phytic acid (known as anti-nutrients) which can prevent the absorption of vitamins & minerals (in particular zinc, iron, magnesium & calcium) resulting in deficiencies. They can also inhibit the function of digestive enzymes causing gastrointestinal issues and in turn mal-absorption of proteins & starches.

Hope this helps :)

1 minute ago, Aflyingbuttress said:

I was only using legumes as an example, but yes, that helps.

ALL of the eliminated foods are known to be disruptive to the gut, so even if you don't currently react to any of them (or have known allergies), you may find you don't tolerate them as well as you think you do once the gut has had sufficient time to heal and it's protective mucosal membrane has shed, leaving you more aware of the symptoms/pain the foods cause.

It's only 30 days, and you might be surprised at what you discover.

You may also find with the MTHFR mutation that it takes a little longer than the 30 days for things to settle....

Ok. That totally makes sense. In my mind I was thinking that I was looking for allergens and wasn't really making the connection there that certain foods might still be problematic. But I wasn't really sure which is why I decided to ask. I appreciate your advice!!

I'm going to start April 1st still and do it the whole30 way, not based only on my allergens.

Archived