My 3rd Whole30 - first in 18 months!

jenna

Today is Day 0 of my 3rd Whole30 challenge. I have successfully completed one other challenge, and unsuccessfully tried one before that (when my son was quite young, and I was bfing.....it was a challenge, that I failed). My last Whole30, not gonna lie, left me adrenally fatigued, but I think that was due to 2 things. First, I did not like sweet potatoes. I didn't mind them made into sweet potato chews, but those are ridiculously time consuming to prepare! Second, I was drinking coffee - too much coffee! I quit coffee 11 days ago, and found the sugar demons rushing back to me. So, I decided a Whole30 challenge was in order to starve the sugar dragons.

Today I went shopping ($250 at Whole Foods!!!!) and prepared a ton of food. I have bone broth in the crock pot, and I cooked off 2 lbs ground beef, 1 lb ground pork, 3 large sweet potatoes, 3 lbs chicken, 2 zucchinis, and 2 red peppers. Oh, and some mayo. And then there's a bunch of fruit and other veggies in the fridge as well, and delicious pastured eggs.

Tomorrow is Day 1. Excited! Oh, I still need to take photos, I'll come back and post!

Yes I have!

Food today:

Meal 1 (8 a.m.): Pork/apple hash out of the ISWF book. Yum! Handful of strawberries on the side.

Pre-workout meal (1:15 p.m.): palm-sized amount of chicken and handful cashews.

Workout (CrossFit) 2:15 - 3:30 p.m.

PWO Meal (3:45) - palm sized amount of chicken and about 3/4 cup of roasted sweet potatoes.

Dinner (7 p.m.) - sweet potato and grass fed beef hash (from ISWF), side salad with balsamic dressing, olives, sunflower seeds, carrots, onions.

that was probably too much of a gap between breakfast and my pre-workout snack, and then the workout. I'll have to figure out how to fit that in better, i work from 9-1 every day, and I usually eat breakfast around 8 and try to workout usually around 1 or 2 p.m. Though I did feel OK in my workout so maybe a gap that long is OK. I was definitely hungry by 1 but not horrible.

OK, I have attached my "pre" photos. Unfortunately I didn't get to take them in "natural light" and they aren't the greatest. I will try to take more tomorrow even though that won't be officially "pre" Whole30. My goal with the Whole30 is to improve my CrossFit performance and also get rid of those love handles.....and maybe some around the booty too :)

Ok I can't figure out how to attach a photo. Hmmm....

Lastly, got on the scale today (at work...after breakfast, I was fully clothed and had shoes on) but I did NOT like what it said. 137.4 or something like that. I should be at least 5#, maybe 10# under that. I did have a weekend filled with debauchery and probably gained at least 3# just from the alcohol....but, still.

Feeling great and looking forward to day 2!

Day 2 was a success! It was very hard to NOT eat some dark chocolate in the afternoon! That and I really wanted a coffee :( Hence the chocolate cravings. Oh well. I'll make it!

Pre-Workout snack (6:30 a.m.): of chicken (palm sized) and (closed) handful cashews.

Workout – 7:00 – 8:15

Post Workout snack (8:45 a.m.) – chicken (palm sized) and 3/4 cup of sweet potatoes

Meal 1 (12 p.m.) – 3 eggs sautéed in coconut oil with onions, peppers, and small amount of grass fed beef. Handful cashews on the side.

Meal 2 (5 p.m.) – HUGE salad with chicken, mixed greens, lots of carrots, red onions, sunflower seeds, olives, roasted garlic

Snack (8:30 p.m.) – one (large) handful of cashews

I was kind of hungry at 8:30 p.m. BUt not quite hungry enough to eat grilled fish and broccoli, LOL. So I settled on a handful of cashews and some gerolsteiner (yum!).

Oh! My mom is going to start the Whole30 with me tomorrow! Yay! It'll be her second, though I'm not sure if she finished her first. We both subscribed to the Whole30 Daily.

Shoot. I didn't post this....

Day 3 (yesterday) was also a success!

Meal 1 (8 a.m.) - 3 eggs scrambled with onions, peppers, ground beef, with a couple of strawberries and coconut milk on the side.

Meal 2 ( 2:00 p.m.) - The Faux Pho from ISWF, made with pork. Yum!

Workout (lifting) - 4 p.m.

PWO snack - chicken and sweet potatoes

Meal 3 - moroccan chicken (from ISWF) with sweet potatoes, handful of cashews

Day 4 also a success. I haven't had any of the side effects I was expecting, though I was eating a mostly paleo diet before.

Slept 10 hours last night!!! I've been sleeping like a baby.

Meal 1 (8:30 a.m.) - 3 eggs sauteed in coconut oil with onions, peppers, ground beef

Meal 2 (2 p.m.) - chili style beef stew - beef bone broth, ground beef, onions, red peppers, tomatoes, zucchini, . Yum!

(I need to figure out how to time my Meal 2 better. But I work until 1 or 1:30 every day - I teach a class from 12-1, so it's really hard to get my food in! I'm also not usually hungry at 11 and I have a break 11-12 so I could eat then BUT I am not prepared. And I love having soup for lunch so I'd rather just eat at home. Bah)

Snack (6 p.m. ) - handful of cashews and a little chicken. Not much.

Again with the timing issue - since I had lunch late, I wasn't ready for dinner at 6, but I teach a class from 6:30 - 8 - right during dinner time!

Meal 3 - 3 eggs scrambled in coconut oil with a side salad - mixed greens, carrots, apple, sunflower seeds, red onion, olives, and homemade creamy vinaigrette (sorta like the pantry vinaigrette in ISWF).

Feeling good!

@Derval - no coffee because my adrenals are shot - I'm hoping it helps.

I've been good! Just not good at updating my log. Let's see....

Day 5 (from memory....prob not accurate):

Meal 1 - 3 eggs scrambled with italian sausage (no sugar!) and onions - maybe a banana, or a half a banana? I forget.

Meal 2 - Soup made with homemade beef stock, beef, veggies....forget what else. Prob a handful of cashews.

Meal 3 - Burger with salad

Day 6 (today)

Meal 1 - 7:30 a.m. - 3 eggs scrambled with onions and ground beef, cashews

Meal 2 - 12 p.m. - Soup made with bone broth, pork, beef, veggies (Faux Pho soup from ISWF)

Meal 3 - Pre "workout" - 4 p.m. - 2 eggs scrambled in coconut oil, handful cashews.

"workout" was an easy hour-ish long mountain bike ride - more to get the dog some exercise than me! I'm still taking it easy until Monday.

Meal 4 - Post "workout" - noshed on sweet potato fries that my hubby cooked up while I was out, and made dinner which was a burger with homemade olive oil mayo and mustard with a big yummy side salad. Gerolsteiner with lemon juice for a beverage :)

Day 7 is done! Feeling good.

Meal 1 - 6:45 a.m. (too bad my son didn't know the time changed....) 3 eggs scrambled in coconut oil with onions, red peppers, ground beef. 6 Strawberries and 1/2 Banana in coconut milk on the side - but I only ate half because I was full!

Meal 2 - 11:30 a.m. - chicken breast fried in coconut oil, large side salad (that I only ate half of because my toddler stole it!), and the rest of this morning's fruit and coconut (since my salad had been stolen).

afternoon fun - food prep for this week and then 9 holes of disc golf with the family!

Meal 3 - 6 p.m. - Moroccan chicken from ISWF, roasted sweet potatoes, and roasted brussel sprouts/onions. I was too hungry before dinner and munched on some apple and cashews before dinner! I didn't realize how much time had passed since lunch!

I am pretty much addicted to sparkling mineral water with lemon. It's kind of a problem.

Day 8 a success! This is feeling easy. I even took my son to get frozen yogurt (I know, I know....my family is not on board yet!) and wasn't even tempted. My hubby had a bite of the yogurt and said it was "gross". Maybe we are getting somewhere.....

Today was interesting because I did 2 workouts. It was tough to get all that food in!

Pre-workout snack (5:45 a.m.) - chicken and cashews

Post-workout meal (7:30 a.m.) - chicken and yams

Breakfast - 8:30 a.m. - 3 eggs sauteed with coconut oil, onions, red peppers, and ground beef

Pre-workout snack (11:20 a.m.) - chicken and cashews

Post workout snack (not a meal, because I only had a couple of bites. Was NOT hungry) - 12 p.m.

Meal 2 - beef chili-style soup, 2 p.m.

Meal 3 - moroccan meatballs and cauliflower rice pilaf from Well Fed! delicious!

Archived