Family W30

littleg

• Whole30 Certified Coach

After *years* of being paleo and my extended family have ZERO interest in it... MIL and FIL have decided to give W30 a shot.  I've been down this road quite a few times already as has hubs (one very successful W30 for him and quite a few Wbreakfasts through W3-4 days ;) ).  Our little guy is now 4 months old and the I.can't.make.it.another.day feeling of the newborn period seems to be easing.  I've eaten pretty well these last few months but am ready for a bit of a reset (oops 3/4 of a pint of ice cream last night...).  Hubs is the heaviest he has ever been and frustrated.  Its finally nice out in our neck of the woods, the Master might allow both of us some time to exercise and on average we are both getting 7 hours of (interrupted) sleep a night.  So, May 1 seemed like a good day to start.  Hubs made a breakfast and a lunch casserole for the week and I'm going to try to do some cooking today for dinners.  

Feeling pretty craptastic this morning after last evenings sugar fest - looking forward to feeling good tomorrow morning!

Day 1 done for hubs and me.  The day is checked off the calendar in a gold sharpie :) I made Swineapple for our first dinner.  Moderate failure - but worth trying again.  I missed the part that said "cover" for the oven (vs smoker) version.  It was a bit jerky-like.  But a pineapple stuffed with pork loin and wrapped in bacon gives some wiggle room for poor cooking!  

M1 today: roasted veggies (broccoli, cauliflower, butternut squash, onion) with cinnamon and ghee, 3 fried eggs, liter of water, coffee(s) with nutpod creamer (<-- I still totally stand by my belief that this is complete SWYPO but hey, if its allowed I'm going to enjoy it!).  

Day 2: gold sharpie check.

Lunch was Enchilada casserole with sweet potato and blob of mayo.  

Dinner was last of the Instant Pot beef roast on salad with grilled pineapple, pan fried taters, tomatoes and dump ranch.  Ate some strawberries with coconut milk and a few bites of coconut butter.  

Day 3:

Broccoli, onions and peppers fried with sausage and 2 eggs, sweet potato with ghee

Day 3:

PreWO: HB egg with mayo

M2: enchilada casserole with sweet potato and mayo

Ate a HB egg with mayo around 5:30 before putting little man to sleep - came down with horrible abdominal pain so meal 3 was kind of a bust

M3: fried potatoes, clementines, coconut butter

Hubs still on track, in laws still on track

My MIL (who does 99% of the cooking) works night shift and is helping to manage the 3 grand babies born in the last 4 months... so lots of free time to cook is not in the books for her.  I'd like to see them be successful in their attempt and I'm not sure the best way to help them.  I live closer to TJ and Whole Foods so I'm trying to pick up "specialized" things for them (riced cauliflower, coconut butter, Kerrygold butter... things like that) and I made them a batch of mayo and I'll make ghee today.   but I'm not sure what else I can do.  They have crappy internet so I'm also printing out some recipes for them.  Any other ideas of how to make a W30 easier for someone?!

Day 4:

M1: last of the beef, roasted veggies (brussel sprouts, butternut squash, onion, broccoli, cauliflower) with ghee (refilled my plate after eating the first plateful :ph34r:), 1L water, coffee with coconut milk

Day 4:

M2 - BBQ ground beef pie (beef, onions, peppers, spinach) in a sweet potato crust, mayo

M3 - too hungry, munched on baby carrots and a few too many clementines... dinner was enchilada pie over salad with dump ranch and pan fried taters, coconut butter for dessert

Milk supply was in the crapper last night.  It was a 35 min effort to pump 3 oz.  Fluid intake was a bit off today.  I may be one of those people who downloads an app to remind me to drink... I don't ever feel thirsty until I sit down to breastfeed and then can't get to a drink!

Gold check for hubs and me on the calendar :)

Day 5:

M1 - 2 HB eggs, mayo, sausage.  Last of the roasted veggies with a small pan fried tater thrown in.  Maybe too few carbs was the problem yesterday.  

Day 5 - M2 never happened due to baby juggling and trying to fit in a workout...

Post WO - 1/2 big sweet potato + coconut milk

In laws came over for dinner and MIL brought waldorf salad - I added more celery to it and ate a big portion of that then the dinner we made:

Nomnompaleo's instant pot kahlua pork, pineapple coleslaw, pan fried taters.  Munched on cantaloupe after dinner.

Evening pump was better last night - drank more and he nursed hourly all day... I wish I weren't so worried about my supply :( 

Been a few days.  8 gold checks on the calendar.  Everyone is still on board :) MIL made some awesome roast beef hash which she shared as well as some potato salad.  I've been better about eating real meals and less 3-lbs-of-fruit-but-call-it-dinner :) 

Hubs made a beautiful breakfast casserole for the week.  

10 gold check marks.  

Hubs has made it out running a few times this week, I haven't eaten fruit for dinner once and as far as I know MIL and FIL are still plugging away.  

Yesterday's meals...

M1 - eaten over the course of 2 diaper changes, one of which required the sink.  Roast beef hash, creamed spinach.

M2 - sweet potato BBQ beef "pie", haricot verts dipped in dump ranch

M3 - snacked on baby carrots, Instant Pot beef, pan fried taters, GIANT bowl of waldorf salad that was mostly celery ;), coconut butter 

Day 11

M1 - munched on breakfast sausage while cooking, 2 eggs, roasted veggies with ghee, small sweet potato 

First naptime workout in the books!  Did a kettlebell workout and some glute stuff.  

PWO - 1/3 big sweet potato

M2 - Instant pot roast, creamed spinach, rest of the big sweet potato with coconut milk

• 2 weeks later...

Family still going strong... I had a small (on opposite day) set back one day at work... so I started over.  I'm on day 10 now, rest of the fam has one week left.  MIL and FIL aren't saying a whole lot about stuff but I think they are pretty much sticking to things.  MIL looked a little slimmer when I saw her a few days ago - though she claimed it was just looser pants :) 

I've been paleo for so long that it is totally possible for me to overeat A LOT on paleo foods (mostly fruit, dried fruit, nut butters - probably the same list of lots of people).  The first 2 weeks of this W30 that is exactly what I was still doing.  I was talking to hubs about being so frustrated I still look 6 months preggo and he said "I don't want to hurt your feelings, but I think you eat too much" :ph34r:.  About 1.5 years ago I did my most successful W30 (it was pretty much a W45 because just like this time I went 2 weeks, fell into the cupcakes at work then did 30 more days).  I gave up my post-dinner fruit/coconut butter/nut butter.  If I was still "hungry" after dinner it was a HB egg with mayo.  I also really made a big effort to eat within an hour of waking (I miss this goal 95% of the time) because I found when I did, my after dinner munching urges were much lower.  With our little 4.5 month old little master around I still don't eat within an hour of waking (2 if I'm lucky) but I am working on eating a plateful at dinner and then stopping.  10 days in and I've eaten strawberries after dinner a few nights, but no produce tray full of apples, clementines, raisins, nut butters, etc.  Hoping that maybe this will help shrink the ol' belly a little :)  

I also had a minor medical scare yesterday - more post-birth trauma... ugh.  And oddly it didn't even cross my mind to eat my way out of it.  

Today's M1.  Using up an unripe cantaloupe and almost rotten green beans ;)  3 eggs, last of the BF sausage and coconut milk coffee.

Archived