RB's Whole30 Log

RBCali

I'm pretty much a do-it-yourselfer, but the Whole30 Daily's keep pushing having a support group to make the Whole30 journey more successful. So, in addition to my few co-workers who I have told about the Whole30 (who'll be watching to see if it works), I thought posting my successes (and missteps) each day would be a help. So feel free to comment away so we can start a conversation. 

I am on Day 3 and feeling pretty good. Day 2, yesterday, I did wake up feeling sluggish and achy, like the hangover discussed in "what to expect".

My main issues are snacking, especially at night, and just plain not knowing what to make to eat. So, if I'm having a stressful or distracted day, I go through the fast food line because what I've packed for lunch doesn't sound good. I started my Whole30 on a three day weekend knowing I'd be able to spend all my time focusing on getting a good start. I've gone grocery shopping (I'm a member of Real Plans), prepared many of the foods I'll need for the week, and hoping when Monday comes, I'm fully prepared. I'm off today so I have a full day planned so will be able to keep busy enough to fight the snacking urge.

The real test will be the work week. Since snacking is an issue of mine I am eating only three meals a day with no snacking in-between. I know it's okay to have compliant snacks, but I'm trying to break the snacking cycle I've been in for so long. I hope I can pack big enough lunches to keep me satiated until I get home. I work a 9.5 hour day so only having one meal in the middle of the day is going to be a challenge. I'm used to having food throughout the day, especially when the day drags. I may have to experiment with the timing of my meals to keep on track.

Thanks for reading my post and any suggestions on how to time my meals during the work week would be greatly appreciated.

• Moderators

Hi, @RBCali

If you find you're not getting a lot of feedback on your log here, you might check out the groups in the Join the Whole30 section of the forum:   http://forum.whole30.com/forum/4-join-the-whole30/  -- just find a group that started close to the same time you did and jump in, or if there's not one, you can always start one.

For your meals, if you have a long day, you may need four full meals or three full meals plus a mini-meal, and that's okay. Ideally, you'll eat your first full meal of the day within an hour of waking up, and then your other meals 4-5 hours apart after that. It might be worth taking more food than you think you'll need for the first few days back at work until you get a feel for how your meal timing works out, or keeping things like cans of tuna or salmon and olives in a drawer so you have emergency food that probably won't tempt you when you're not really hungry, but will be available if you are.

Hi Shannon,

Thanks for the input. I will definitely check out the link you included. And I forgot about the can tuna and salmon and the mini-meal option. My day starts early and I don't like to eat alot first thing, so maybe I can do a mini-meal first thing and then space out my other meals accordingly. Thanks for the idea!

Starting Day 4. The first three days were good. Felt a little icky on Day 2, but Day 3 I felt good. Today I woke up with a kind of wierdness in my left ear, feeling a little off-balance. My stomach is upset and I just want to go back to bed. I guess this is normal. Feel good about my eating. First three days fully compliant with no snacks! Good for me as I have a snack dragon I need to tame. Have packed my compliant breakfast and lunch to take with me, sans snacks. Since my day is so long (11 hours) it was recommended I start early with a mini meal and then eat timely throughout the day. I'll see how that works. I just want to go back to bed :( Well, off to work, which I'm sure will help distract me from how I am feeling.

Have a great day out there!

Archived