New here on day 4

coconuts

So we jumped in. Wife and I are doing Whole30. I've been paleo for nearly 10 years, and don't have any health issues or weight to lose. I'm just doing it to support he. Wife also has no health issues. We're both 57 and take no meds. She just wants to lose 10-15lbs. No other "diet" if you will, has helped her lose even a pound, including ketogenic. It's that abdominal visceral fat. She's thin everywhere else. 

Wish us luck. This is her last ditch effort. I know this isn't a weight loss thing, but it does for 95%. And maybe getting rid of all that cheese will help. And I thin kshe under-eats and has for a long time. Tiny breakfast of yogurt (that's sweetened with aspartame, and toast with peanut butter). Protein bar or cheese and crackers for lunch. Then dinner. 

PS She tried ketogenic diet for the 10 weeks before Whole30. She lost one pound. 

Hints appreciated!

• Moderators

Be sure you show her the meal template, and maybe show her this thread about what a serving of eggs looks like -- convince her that she really does have to eat fairly large meals for this to work, even though that goes against what every diet in the past has told her. And tell her to be patient -- most people go through a phase where they're convinced they're gaining weight, but just hang in there, keep following the meal template for three meals a day. Some people take the full 30 days to feel like they're losing, some take even longer. The point of Whole30 is to get healthier, and while some people think losing weight leads to getting healthier, for this, it goes the other way -- you get healthier first and then the weight follows.

Thank you for your kind encouragement. She was pretty stoked when her 33 year old female relative (and another that is 67) both lost 10lbs. The 33 year old was already healthy and for the life of me I can't figure out where she lost those 10lbs. She was already like a size one. But apparently, it was somewhere.

We've looked at the meal template and follow that. We work hard to source all the right ingredients to cook interesting meals. I did signup for the RealPlans thing, but find it difficult to use so we will just not use that any more. And we've already been eating grassfed for many years... except she likes standard store bought lunchmeat, which is off the table now. Fish sauce? Who would have thought I'd ever use that? And the smell!! But what we've been cooking has been fantastic. 

It really does go against her grain of eating just a little bit. But I'm pretty sure that shes' been under eating and under nutrition-ed, in spite of the abdominal weight gain. When I told her that her recent breakfast had 3 eggs in it (among all the vegetables) she was pretty surprised. If she ate an egg for breakfast, it was always just one, and one piece of bacon, and that would be her entire breakfast.  For many years cheese and triscuits was lunch, or just an Atkins bar... She really has a hard time wrapping her head around the size of the meals. It's a real paradigm changer for her.  It's hard for her and she even made a countdown calendar and marks off the days. 

And yes, she actually hid the scale. The calendar and hiding the scale are levels of commitment I have not seen before. 

Again, thanks, and I'll post here every so often...

Welcome! I'm right behind you @ 2 days in. I'm hoping to lose my little round belly too. 

OMG on the portion of eggs! I've been eating two eggs in the morning and that feels like too much. I don't think I could fit two more eggs in. 

Archived