Hangry to bloated and back again EVERY DAY!

kayfryheyfry

Hi, 

I am on day 5 of my Whole30. I am struggling with a. not snacking, and b. eating enough at meals to prevent snacking, but without feeling like I'm exploding. I have a fairly efficient metabolism, and in my regular life, usually eat 4 small/medium meals (usually 2 breakfasts-1 small early and 1 small at around 10), with 2-3 small snacks throughout the day. I was always told this (grazing) was healthier. I have also learned to listen to my body, and stop eating when I'm not hungry anymore. However, since I started this, if I stop eating when I'm not hungry anymore, I get MAJOR HANGER. If I force myself to eat more so I can last to the next meal, I am. so. full. and my stomach hurrrts and I feel bloated and gross! What the heck! 

Here are examples of meals:

salad with kale, arugula, green lettuce, 1/2 avocado, hemp seeds, cashews, cucumbers, carrots, and dressing- ate at 1, felt full enough, starving by 3. 

roast chicken, mashed potatoes, roast veggies and salad- ate at 5, hungry by 8. 

zoodles, tomato sauce, and meatballs- this was definitely our most satisfying meal yet. 

pork tenderloin, roasted veggies (squash, broccoli, carrots)- at 5, felt like I ate "too much-" felt really full and yucky, MAJOR HANGER by 8. 

salad with arugula, kale, green lettuce, roast chicken, apples, squash, almonds, dressing- ate at 12:30, SO FULL I feel gross. That's today, I don't know when I'll be hungry yet :) 

Help!!! 

That FULL feeling followed by Hanger is often associated with an intolerance in that the body is trying to digest what it can't tolerate & so is screaming 'NO MORE!' so as you don't eat too much...

The first meal listed doesn't contain any protein (nuts/seeds are a fat source for Whole30 purposes), and since protein provides satiety, and nuts/seeds are notoriously hard on the digestive system, that could have been the issue here.

The second meal lists no fat, and again this can result in hunger.

The broccoli in the pork meal is high FODMAP, cruciferous & high in sulphur, and a very problematic food. Was the squash hard skinned by any chance?

You mention though that you're eating a lot more meat than normal - are you taking a digestive enzyme and/or probiotics to help the gut flora adjust? 

Archived