Question about coconut milk and aminos

Mike5858

I'm only two weeks into my first W30 (and i love it so far).  I just got the cookbook and slow cooker cookbook and had a question.  My wife is allergic to coconut.  Is there anything I can substitute for coconut milk, or coconut aminos in the recipes.  So many of them contain one or both and they look great, but she would be unable to eat those.  Help!

Thanks in advance,

Mike

Depends on what the recipe is trying to achieve - leave it out, sub chicken broth, or sub other nut milks.  (Like, if you're trying to make Thai curry, you may be out of luck as it depends heavily on the coconut milk, but you could try broth.  I have no idea how, say, almond milk would taste with curry.)

Coconut aminos tend to be around for a hit of umami.  Leave it out, try other umami-rich foods, depending on the recipe.  (Like fish sauce, mushrooms, and tomato paste are high in umami, if they happen to go with the recipe.)  You could try to make this not compliant as written recipe without the molasses: http://meljoulwan.com/2014/03/01/substitute-soy-sauce-coconut-aminos/, but she calls it a key ingredient, so......)

16 hours ago, slc_melissa said:

Depends on what the recipe is trying to achieve - leave it out, sub chicken broth, or sub other nut milks.  (Like, if you're trying to make Thai curry, you may be out of luck as it depends heavily on the coconut milk, but you could try broth.  I have no idea how, say, almond milk would taste with curry.)

Coconut aminos tend to be around for a hit of umami.  Leave it out, try other umami-rich foods, depending on the recipe.  (Like fish sauce, mushrooms, and tomato paste are high in umami, if they happen to go with the recipe.)  You could try to make this not compliant as written recipe without the molasses: http://meljoulwan.com/2014/03/01/substitute-soy-sauce-coconut-aminos/, but she calls it a key ingredient, so......)

Thanks for answering.  Sorry, I saw this topic has been covered a bunch already.  Thanks again for your insight!

Archived