10/16 Start date

PrincessNatkins

@RedBird105  So glad to have you here !   You reminded me about the egg bake !! ( Egg Loaf ? What is your recipe ?)  I forgot that I used that on each of my 3 past Whole30's and they were a life-saver. Thanks ! 

My husband is also doing this (his 1st whole30).  He's doing pretty well but we also don't usually eat meat. We mostly rotate through Salmon, Cod, Tuna, Shrimp and Egg dishes for protein sources and lots of greens and fresh veggie/fruit salads.

Happy Almost-Week-4 and hope to see you here through Nov. 16th !

@4windsrider Thanks!!  Yes, the egg bake has been crucial!  I don't really follow a recipe - I usually just use up whatever veggies I have left from the previous week.  This week's egg bake had 12 eggs, one package of mushrooms sauteed, baby spinach, and some almond milk.  I baked it in an oval baking dish for about an hour.  I eat it with guacamole, salsa or homemade ketchup. 

My dinner on day one was a really good salmon dish:  https://www.thecookierookie.com/salmon-with-avocado/

The spice blend is really good and I ate it with pre-made guacamole instead of making my own.  On the side we had tostones, which were surprisingly easy to make and delicious.  I've made it multiple times because I like it to so much!

I'd love to hear some of your go-to fish recipes. 

Here's a couple recipes that have been getting my wife and I through this.  #1 by far is this breakfast sweet potato hash:

http://paleogrubs.com/sweet-potato-hash-recipe

It's hard to find compliant sausage so I just make some myself with ground pork, fennel, sage, salt and pepper.

Another favorite is this bon appetit recipe for ginger-chicken meatballs and broccoli in broth:

https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/ginger-chicken-meatballs-chinese-broccoli

Just replace the soy sauce with coconut aminos and the vegetable oil with whatever oil works for you and you're all set.

Also if anyone has any interesting fish or shrimp ideas I'd love to hear them.  Unfortunately my wife doesn't like salmon and its too cold for the grill now so I'm out of ideas.

On 10/23/2017 at 11:19 AM, 4windsrider said:

HAPPY WEEK 2 to all 10/16 starters !!   :) 

@kimbah, Do you know how to combine these threads..?  Maybe I'll just check into all the 10/16 starts for awhile ...but it's a bit cumbersome .  I'm off to work right now  but will try to find time to check w/ a moderator to see if there's a way to combine ..

@4windsrider I don't - I am totally new to this.   

On 10/23/2017 at 10:26 AM, Les Wizerables said:

Thanks, this is a good idea.  Are the rotisserie chickens at the supermarket generally compliant? The ones from places like Boston Market have a little sugar in the seasoning i think.

Geez - I disappeared for a while - sorry.  Life got crazy busy but I have stayed on track.  I am feeling great but was very tired this morning and I am not sure why.  I should be past that state.  Anyway, ironically we had a roasted chicken this evening from BJs.  I had actually seen it as a suggestion in the Whole 30 book.  I think if you buy a chicken that does not specifically say that it has a flavor, it should be good.  I always peel the skin off anyway.  Perhaps, you can ask at the grocer to see if they put anything on it.

I hope you are doing well.  Let me know.  :)

On 11/2/2017 at 3:19 PM, RedBird105 said:

@4windsrider Thanks!!  Yes, the egg bake has been crucial!  I don't really follow a recipe - I usually just use up whatever veggies I have left from the previous week.  This week's egg bake had 12 eggs, one package of mushrooms sauteed, baby spinach, and some almond milk.  I baked it in an oval baking dish for about an hour.  I eat it with guacamole, salsa or homemade ketchup. 

My dinner on day one was a really good salmon dish:  https://www.thecookierookie.com/salmon-with-avocado/

The spice blend is really good and I ate it with pre-made guacamole instead of making my own.  On the side we had tostones, which were surprisingly easy to make and delicious.  I've made it multiple times because I like it to so much!

I'd love to hear some of your go-to fish recipes. 

@4windsrider@RedBird105  I am very interested in seafood recipes - can't wait to try that salmon.  Unfortunately, my hubby hates fish so I have been avoided it but I am sick of beef and chicken and pork.  Thanks for sharing.

19 hours ago, Les Wizerables said:

Here's a couple recipes that have been getting my wife and I through this.  #1 by far is this breakfast sweet potato hash:

http://paleogrubs.com/sweet-potato-hash-recipe

It's hard to find compliant sausage so I just make some myself with ground pork, fennel, sage, salt and pepper.

Another favorite is this bon appetit recipe for ginger-chicken meatballs and broccoli in broth:

https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/ginger-chicken-meatballs-chinese-broccoli

Just replace the soy sauce with coconut aminos and the vegetable oil with whatever oil works for you and you're all set.

Also if anyone has any interesting fish or shrimp ideas I'd love to hear them.  Unfortunately my wife doesn't like salmon and its too cold for the grill now so I'm out of ideas.

Thanks for sharing those recipes.  I saw a sweet potato hash in the Whole 30 book as well but I have not tried it yet.  You have inspired me.  :)   My husband "needs" to have meat with his eggs in the morning and it is very hard, like you said to find compliant sausage or bacon.  I found the bacon but it is super expensive - like $18/lb.   Anyway, he made some sausage patties with ground pork and spices but I think your recipe with the fennel and sage sounds better.  

@kimbah have you tried frying up prosciutto with breakfast? It crisps up just like bacon and it's much easier to find compliant prosciutto than bacon. I bought a huge pack from BJs and we've been eating it quite a bit.

I have also been buying a rotisserie chicken every week. I get it from Whole Foods. I don't typically shop there but it's the only place that I've found it compliant. It works for chicken salad and I always save some for my sons meals too.

@RedBird105   I actually never thought of prosciutto.  I just assumed it was processed and not compliant.  I shall look around because my husband likes that for sure.   I have been getting the whole chickens just about weekly as well.  We get them from BJs and peel off all of the skin.  Hopefully, I am not sabotaging us.   :o

Sorry I have been MIA. I have been working a ton. 

Making egg cups in a silicone cup cake tray has been a life saver! Each cupcake takes 1 egg plus whatever veggie I have have in the house. Aka tomato, squash, bell pepper, bacon or turkey meat. I cook it in the oven at 350 for 20-30 minutes..

also so I am loving single tray bakes! That’s when everything I’m eating goes on 1 tray in the oven... 

i line the tray with foil. Then brush on olive oil. Put my meat in the middle and veggies around the outsides. Brush olive oil on top and season with spices or vinegar, and cook at 425 for 20-35 minutes, or until it looks done. I do often put the chopped or spiralized potatoes on another tray the same way and toss it in at the same time! 

@PrincessNatkins Thanks!  I will definitely have to start doing that.  I can see how that would make cooking dinner so easy!  Tonight we're having crab cakes with roasted cauliflower.  My husband makes really good crab cakes and the only things he swaps is the mayo for approved mayo and panko for almond flour. All the other ingredients are approved. They are so delicious and makes a lot so we will have leftovers for the rest of the week.  I've had leftover potato soup for the last three days so I am super excited to have something different tonight!

All right,  is there anyone else who  has been feeling exhausted or irritable the last few days? I have , which is weird cause the book says most people feel great! I have been trying to find the balance of meal size, but I’m so active I need to eat every few hours or I get hungry, cranky, get a headache or super super low on energy. Still on the plan, just wondering what’s going on. 

Also I’ve been documenting every day on YouTube. My posts are really behind the day we’re actually on but if you wanna check it out...

@PrincessNatkins Being sure to get enough healthy fats w/each meal seems to help keep a more steady energy level.  I'm noticing the time change and darkness at 5pm has made me feel slowed down and kind of "under". However, if you fly a lot - time changes may be status quo for your body !  Oddly, my experience has been that the last week of the Whole 30 really is an interesting one.  Be extra vigilant following the program and see how it goes. Good luck!

Whole30 # 4 in the bag!   Actually so easy this time.  Except for slackening the no alcohol rule..I think I'll just keep on with most of the guidelines.  Feeling good and lost 15 lbs. What's not to love?

Congrats to all who joined the journey this time. Would love to see some posts on "outcomes".  Cheers everyone!

Congrats everyone!  We made it!!  I learned so much through this process and I have actually been sticking to the program.  I realized there were a lot of things that I was eating that I thought I would immediately want to start eating again, but I don't even want them.  I'm enjoying my coffee without sweetener, my scrambled eggs without cheese and I don't want bread at all.  I feel so much better that I know I don't need to incorporate those things in my diet just because they were such a staple before.  My husband brought home donuts yesterday and I wasn't even tempted.  If that's not a win I don't know what is!!

Some of my outcomes other than the change to my eating habits:

• I lost 13 lbs!  My baby weight was sticking around and I wasn't sure if I was going to be able to lose it so I'm super happy :)
  • Sleeping better
  • More energy. Very important with an almost one year old that I am constantly chasing!
  • Less bloated.  I didn't realize how bloated and sluggish I actually was until a few days into the program.  I never knew I could feel so good!
  • Less aches and pains

Overall I'm very happy with my results and glad that I stuck to the diet even on some very stressful days when all I wanted to do was order a pizza!  I'm excited to take what I've learned and continue on my health journey.

Congratulations everyone!!!! What has everyone decided? Continue the lifestyle or going back to some old habits?

i lost 8lbs.

1” around my bust

1.5” around my ribs

1” around my waist and 

2” around my hips! 

I could not not be happier!

i have not ended up with more energy. If anything I am always feeling tired, but I’ll figure that out.

I  have added wine back in and it makes me feel bloated, headache-e, cotton mouthed and totally inflamed my sinuses. 

The things im looking forward to adding back in are things like oatmeal, quinoa and hummus. (Keeping them IF, they don’t make me feel bad.)

I will continue to read my labels and cook/ meal prep whole30 style. 

Doing the whole30 has also opened my eyes to food waste and has made me realize I want to compost! It has also made me aware of all the other waste I produce/bring into the house, so I would like to get better in that regard too!

I want to say thank you to all of you for your support, and Thank you to the whole30 to opening my eyes to a healthier and overall “better” lifestyle!!

I did document my whole30 journey. I have been posting the videos about a week late but if you want to check it out here’s the link... 

Have a great day!

Archived