Breastfeeding & Whole30

I liked what the book had to say about BF while on Whole30 which was essentially, "it certainly couldn't be harmful when you are eating the most nutritious foods possible and thereby making the more nutritious breast-milk possible." (That was my takeaway, anyway!)

However, shortly after beginning Whole30 with a healthy 3-month-old exclusively BF baby, I felt like my milk supply was decreasing. I felt more dried up in the evening, and my sleeping-though-the-night (miracle!) baby at 2 months old, was suddenly waking to nurse 2-3 times a night. I was wanting to stay committed to Whole30. I am not certain what cut the supply, except maybe that I usually ate more carbs throughout the day, and was a big snacker in the evenings. I knew I still had milk (if you are eating and BF consistently then there is no way for your milk to be entirely gone) but I wanted to continue Whole30.

I picked up "Mother's Milk" tea (at any grocery store, usually the health food section) and shelled out $5 for the box, thinking I would drink a cup a day and maybe increase my milk supply. I can assuredly tell you that it did just that! I have been full all day long now, which is great because I know my baby can get as much as he wants at anytime of day.

So, to any and all BF moms who want to take the Whole30 challenge, I would highly encourage you to arm yourself with a box of "Mother's Milk" tea. It's organic and delicious. I am drinking it everyday!

I drank a ton of that stuff (Traditional Medicinals, yes?) when I first started breastfeeding. I loved it!

I also have a post lower down in this topic about how I figured out how to make the W30 work for keeping my milk supply up, if you want to check it out. I actually have MORE milk now than I did pre-W30. :)

Good luck with the rest of your W30!

Archived