Type 1 Diabetes and What to Eat with Low Blood Sugars

Hi Everyone,

I'm currently in the planning stages and hoping to start my first Whole30 next week. I'm an insulin-dependent type 1 diabetic, so hypos are not uncommon. I was wondering what others have found to be suitable foods to help when suffering from low blood sugars? I know fruit juices are allowed, but only to be added to recipes rather than to drink on their own - however a small drink would definitely help combat blood sugars that are dropping quickly. Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

Thanks,

Lyndsay

• Moderators
1 hour ago, LyndsayB said:

Hi Everyone,

I'm currently in the planning stages and hoping to start my first Whole30 next week. I'm an insulin-dependent type 1 diabetic, so hypos are not uncommon. I was wondering what others have found to be suitable foods to help when suffering from low blood sugars? I know fruit juices are allowed, but only to be added to recipes rather than to drink on their own - however a small drink would definitely help combat blood sugars that are dropping quickly. Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

Thanks,

Lyndsay

Drinking juice in this context (for fixing a problem, not pleasure or meal replacement) would be fine.  You may want to ask your doctor as we're not able to give out medical advice but I would say if juice works for you and you can find a product that is just juice with no sugar/additives, then that would work.

I just finished my first 30 days and plan on continuing because my blood glucose have been amazing.  I can't wait to see my A1C next month!!  For my lows I would do some fruit if I was below 65 and trending down (I have a constant glucose monitor) and some nuts if I was 65-80 and trending normal.   If you don't have a CGM, test your blood often as your body adjusts.  I had several highs in the first days as my body adjusted to using fat store rather than sugar/carbs intake.  Good luck!  

Archived