Whole30 - Endometriosis & Weight Loss

Bekira

Hi people,

my name is Bettina, and I'm doing my first Whole30 starting 2nd January.

My prime reasons for doing this is my Endometriosis. I've had 4 surgeries so far, which only partly helped but also managed to cause a lot of additional trouble by leftover scarring. The pain is manageable at the moment, however I struggle with terrible fatigue an partly also depression symptoms, especially in the last days of my cycle. When I feel down and/or stressed, I like very much to snack (especially sweets). Endo and a very stressful job as a manager in R&D of a big automotive supplier lead to me gaining approx. 20 kg in the last 2 years - which I'm aware makes my Endo worse. So I really need to act!

I really hope that changing my food behavior will help me!

I read ISWF at one go, and dived right in.

Yesterday was Day 1, here's what I ate:

Breakfast: Omelette out of 3 eggs with red and green peppers, tomatoes, parsley, chive

Lunch: grilled chicken breast with roasted veggies (tomato, peppers, eggplan, champignon, zucchini, onions, garlic)

Dinner: Grilled chicken with potatoes

I'm lucky enough to live in Austria, where you get organic, pastured meat even at most discount stores at a reasonable price. I actually put a whole chicken in the oven yesterday for the first time in my life, and I'm making chicken broth from the leftovers. Go me :-)

Effect-wise I don't feel a lot so far. I had a pretty heavy cold last week and I'm not yet up to full speed, so I don't know if I'm cold-tired, endo-tired or whole30-tired :-) No headache so far from sugar withdrawal, though, that's a good thing!

What I noted was that my face was quite swollen this morning. This usually only happens if I eat too much salt. I'll have to keep a look on that.

Here's what I'm having difficulties with:

1) Eating so much protein, especially in the mornings. I'm not a vegetarian, but I really don't like meat that much. I'm not at all sure if I can keep up eating so much of it in the long term. I hope during re-introduction I will figure out some non-meat protein sources which I can eat.

2) Time management: This 1st week is fine, because I'm not at work so much,. However, starting next week I will be working full-time again, which means I leave home at 6:00 - 6:30 am and come home not before 5:30 pm. 3 times a week I go horse-back riding in the evening (2-3 hours away from home), and I really want to do some additional exercise. I'm not quite sure yet how I can fit all of that in the meager 24 hours a day has to offer :-)

Anyways, if you want to keep me company, here's my official whole30 journal :-)

Love,

Bettina

Welcome! This is my first week as well, and I started work again yesterday too. I had lots of leftovers so it was easy, but this morning I realized I am out of eggs so had to improvise! Doing a big cook-up on the weekend and planning simpler meals to patch through the week is how I plan to make it work...fingers crossed! As to the morning protein--I guess I am lucky in that I hate sweet stuff in the morning so I'm fine with eggs every day...I wonder if some combination of nuts and fruit would work for you? Maybe sweet potato "toast" with almond butter and fruit? This looks interesting too--apple 'sandwiches': https://www.wholesomeyum.com/recipes/blueberry-pistachio-apple-sandwiches/

18 hours ago, ceerock said:

Welcome! This is my first week as well, and I started work again yesterday too. I had lots of leftovers so it was easy, but this morning I realized I am out of eggs so had to improvise! Doing a big cook-up on the weekend and planning simpler meals to patch through the week is how I plan to make it work...fingers crossed! As to the morning protein--I guess I am lucky in that I hate sweet stuff in the morning so I'm fine with eggs every day...I wonder if some combination of nuts and fruit would work for you? Maybe sweet potato "toast" with almond butter and fruit? This looks interesting too--apple 'sandwiches': https://www.wholesomeyum.com/recipes/blueberry-pistachio-apple-sandwiches/

Thank you for your welcome :-)

Hmm.. looks delicious! I might give it a try and figure out some sort of protein source to go with it.

Day 2 for me was like this:

Breakfast: Omelette out of 3 eggs with red and green peppers, tomatoes, parsley, chive

Lunch: Grilled chicken with Brokkoli, Chashews & Chia-Banana-Pudding as dessert

Dinner: Whole30 Chili with Avocados, 2 tangerines as dessert

I took care to use a less salt when preparing my meals, and the swelling in my face is in fact less. Maybe it was just from the cold, which I can report is finally going away

Archived