Sugar cravings and hermit life

Speedy

I am on day seven and I have been doing great. This morning I dreamt about cookies and I have been craving sweets all day today. I ate like 3 bananas. I know I'm supposed to learn how to deal with sugar cravings. I kind of feel guilty for eating the bananas. I'm going to try really hard not to snack but man today was hard plus I was exhausted. I want to get out because I've been stuck at home all week but I don't think I can handle being at a restaurant 

-Stephanie 

• Moderators

Don't feel guilty for eating the bananas. I mean, unless you, like, beat up a homeless person and stole their bananas to eat, but I'm sure you didn't do that. ;) 

Food is just food. We attach all sorts of worth to it, but it is not good or bad on its own. Are there healthier choices than bananas? Sure. But in the grand scheme of things, it was just bananas. Maybe have a read of this article for a little perspective:  https://whole30.com/2012/08/carrot-train-to-crazytown/

Let's talk about the snacking. Why are you snacking? Are you hungry? As in, when you want a snack, if I handed you very bland steamed fish and broccoli with no sauces and no seasonings, would you eat it? If you would, you're actually hungry, and you should eat something. If you're consistently hungry between meals, your meals may not be big enough. If this hasn't been happening until now, it could be that you've been more active lately, or it could be affected by where you are in your cycle. The week or so leading up to their period is a time when most women are hungrier than usual, sometimes needing twice as much food as usual. This is okay, just go with it, it'll go back to normal in a week or so. And if you grew up being told that ladies should eat small, dainty portions, throw that out the window. You should eat the portions that are right for you, even if that means more food than other women around you eat, even if it means eating more food than guys around you eat. You eat what you need to eat to take care of your body and to be able to do the things you want to do. Let them eat the amount that they need. 

If you're not really hungry, then you should look at why you're wanting food. Feeling tired can definitely make you want food even when you're not hungry, so if you are pretty sure this is mostly that  you're tired, and if it's an option, go to bed early. If you're eating because you're stressed, you could try journaling your feelings, or just letting yourself react to them in whatever way you need to -- cry, yell, slam doors, whatever. It's okay to feel whatever you're feeling, and it's okay to react in whatever way you need to react (as long as you're not hurting yourself or anyone else). 

Thank you so much for the reply! The article was definitely a good read. I don't think I'm eating because I'm hungry. I just want something sweet. I think distracting myself with some journaling would be a great idea. I appreciate you getting back to me and writing such a detailed reply. :) 

Archived