Saturday nights are hard

GraceBallard

I'm on day 13, and mostly I've enjoyed my meals, the shift in habits, and examining my relationship to food and drink.  However, Saturday nights really get me down.  I don't want to go out because my desire for a Manhattan or nice glass of red is so intense.  As much as I enjoy going to the gym and listening to Harry Potter, I want Saturday nights to feel different than Monday nights, and usually for me that means a cocktail or a nice meal out with friends.  I wrote a blog post about the empty feelings that have come up for me: Why Eating Whole Foods Makes Me Sad.  This is illuminating for sure!  But on Saturday, I don't want to feel illuminated.  I want to relax and socialize.  Anyone feel me?

1000%

I brought work home with me this weekend and the goal is to keep my brain busy so I don't start wanting wine. Earlier I showered and did my hair and I'm a makeup lover so I had the time I don't have weekday mornings to do my eyeshadow in a very over-the-top manner - all that to say, I'm sitting here alone on a Saturday night looking fabulous from the neck up (wearing leggings and a tank top) so I could go out but know I can't.

I'm just doing what I can to keep busy.

I've found that if I actually go out (and drink soda water or whatever), I end up having a good time, but it's harder to push myself out of the house.  That's funny you said that, because I totally ended up getting dressed and made up last night, and THEN I felt inspired to leave the house.  Went to a friend's art opening and it was just fine.

That's awesome! 

I'm taking the same approach I took when I quit smoking years ago. It was back when you could still smoke in bars in this city and I just didn't have the strength to resist. If I were to take my car somewhere, that's a totally different story but for now, laying low.

Thanks for asking, Jager07.  I'm feeling better - a little more at ease.  I've been journaling and meditating daily, as I want to learn as much as I can about these cravings and my relationship to food and alcohol.  So I wouldn't say that yearning for treats has gone away, but I'm more relaxed with it.  How's it going for you?

Archived