Day 14 Acne

Have you always had acne or has your acne flared up since starting whole30? 

If you have always been prone to acne, I would like to gently remind you that it takes 6 weeks for your skin cells to regenerate and completely turn over. You aren't going to see a glowing magical complexion in 2 weeks of Whole30 after previously dealing with acne for an extended period of time. If this is the situation you are in, give it time! Results tend to get worse before they get better, and your hormones are also likely going for a ride due to Whole30 changes. 

If you have never been prone to acne and are suddenly experiencing acne for the first time since starting Whole30, first let me say that sucks and I am sorry! I would definitely cut out eating nuts (I personally think walnuts and almonds irritate my forehead acne), and I would also consider the fats you are using to cook with (olive oil over coconut oil). 

Consider any other changes you have made on this Whole30 journey - are you in a hormonal time of the month? Are you experiencing a lot of stress about the Whole30 regimen in general? I hate to say something so seemingly obvious, but standing in front of the mirror and scrutinizing every last pimple doesn't make your acne go away - it actually just creates more of a stress response in the body - which promotes acne! 

Make sure you are drinking LOADS of water, getting enough sleep, and be patient. 

Thanks for the response! I have struggled with acne the last few years, but just a few small ones. This is my 3rd Whole 30, and I remember it getting worse before getting better, but not as bad as it is this round. This time around, I have more cystic, painful acne that is way worse than ever before. I will just keep pushing and hope it gets better!

2 hours ago, Whole30KS said:

Thanks for the response! I have struggled with acne the last few years, but just a few small ones. This is my 3rd Whole 30, and I remember it getting worse before getting better, but not as bad as it is this round. This time around, I have more cystic, painful acne that is way worse than ever before. I will just keep pushing and hope it gets better!

Eggs can also cause skin issues, even if you've always eaten them (you might be adding more). Maybe try cutting those out for a few days and see what happens?

Archived