To Gain Weight/Overactive Metabolism

bwp

I desperately need to gain weight but have lost 1 or 2 lbs since I've been on the Whole30 for 20 days, not surprisingly, even though I pretty much already ate this way.

One suggestion given to me was to make smoothies. I'd rather just drink the coconut milk, eat the cashews and macadamia nuts, the fruit, etc. Isn't that even better? I know that leptin can get out of whack if we don't eat early enough in the day. Well, I'm a very later riser since I go to bed very late. I usually don't eat until 10 or 11 a m, after I've been up for 1 to 1 1/2 hours. And, I HAVE to eat before I go to bed because I have an over-active metabolism and I get too hungry to sleep if I don't. On top of all this, I graze throughout the day although I do eat 3 or 4 small, regular meals and sometimes have 3 hours between meals. Sure wish I could gain weight!

Appreciate all your help.

Thank you!!!

• Moderators
18 minutes ago, bwp said:

I desperately need to gain weight but have lost 1 or 2 lbs since I've been on the Whole30 for 20 days, not surprisingly, even though I pretty much already ate this way.

One suggestion given to me was to make smoothies. I'd rather just drink the coconut milk, eat the cashews and macadamia nuts, the fruit, etc. Isn't that even better? I know that leptin can get out of whack if we don't eat early enough in the day. Well, I'm a very later riser since I go to bed very late. I usually don't eat until 10 or 11 a m, after I've been up for 1 to 1 1/2 hours. And, I HAVE to eat before I go to bed because I have an over-active metabolism and I get too hungry to sleep if I don't. On top of all this, I graze throughout the day although I do eat 3 or 4 small, regular meals and sometimes have 3 hours between meals. Sure wish I could gain weight!

Appreciate all your help.

Thank you!!!

Smoothies are discouraged - it is better to just eat food.

Are you making template meals?  Adding fat, protein and veggies to the higher end of the template?  That would be 1-2 palms of protein, a plate full of veggies including starchy carbs at every meal if you're wanting to gain weight and added fat.

If your schedule works for you (you like being a late riser) then just make sure to eat breakfast within an hour of waking if that's the schedule you want to keep.

We don't recommend grazing, we recommend 3 template meals eaten 4-5 hours apart and if you're hungry between meals, add in a mini meal of protein and fat.  Eat intentionally, don't just hand to mouth graze all day. Increase the 3 or 4 small meals to 3 bigger meals and see what happens.

Thank you! I eat very slowly and I just can't eat large enough meals to eat enough calories at one sitting, usually. I eat yams and red potatoes and or winter squash with every meal; I eat chicken, fish or meat at every meal;  a snack is nuts and coconut milk, or cup of chicken stock and some avocado, etc. I just can't seem to get MORE into me.

• Moderators
26 minutes ago, bwp said:

Thank you! I eat very slowly and I just can't eat large enough meals to eat enough calories at one sitting, usually. I eat yams and red potatoes and or winter squash with every meal; I eat chicken, fish or meat at every meal;  a snack is nuts and coconut milk, or cup of chicken stock and some avocado, etc. I just can't seem to get MORE into me.

Add fat to your meals, that's what keeps you full longer.

Archived