Autoimmune flare during Whole 30

Hello all, This is my second Whole 30 and I'm going through a significant autoimmune flare - increased inflammation and pain. I have ankylosing spondilitis and continue to take my meds, but have a sore back and ribs and my hands and joints hurt. I remember going through this somewhat last time as well, and I am wondering if anyone else has. If I recall, it got better last time and I'm hoping it does again, but it's day 16 and I'm really discouraged. 

• Moderators

Sorry you're not feeling well... I just did a quick google search because I was sure i'd read threads on here from people with your condition.  I can't link here but google 'whole30 ankylosing spondilitis' and a few threads come up - because it's an auto immune condition, you may need to look at doing the AIP version (you can google 'whole30 aip shopping list' to get an idea of the additional foods you'd want to consider restricting to see if the flare got better.

Hi - I am mostly following AIP and limit my eggs and nightshades. If I don't see progress, I may need to get even stricter, although those foods did not cause any flares before Whole 30. Could it be that, as my immune system gets stronger because I'm eating better, the autoimmune part of my disease is now even more pronounced?

• Moderators
14 minutes ago, Michelle From Quebec said:

Hi - I am mostly following AIP and limit my eggs and nightshades. If I don't see progress, I may need to get even stricter, although those foods did not cause any flares before Whole 30. Could it be that, as my immune system gets stronger because I'm eating better, the autoimmune part of my disease is now even more pronounced?

I honestly can't answer that as I am not educated in auto immune diseases, however if you're following the AIP and you're seeing a flare where one would usually not occur, then off to the doctor with you :)  We can't dispense medical advice or make suggestions on what outside of food could be impacting your condition.

Archived