Whole30 in a food desert

AudreySuzy

Hi,

I started Whole30 about a week ago, and I live in a very small, remote town where the best/closest grocery store is a Walmart. I thought I was being super productive today by buying organic beef jerky, almond milk, and dried fruit.  So. Not. Productive. The second ingredient is: cane sugar. The problem is, I have not other alternative. I don't really have time to dehydrate my own fruit and don't want to spend an arm and a leg on a food shipment service. Any recs? I know Thrive Market is good, but don't love the commitment to join.

Longing for Whole Foods and Trader Joe's,
Audrey

• Moderators
1 hour ago, AudreySuzy said:

Hi,

I started Whole30 about a week ago, and I live in a very small, remote town where the best/closest grocery store is a Walmart. I thought I was being super productive today by buying organic beef jerky, almond milk, and dried fruit.  So. Not. Productive. The second ingredient is: cane sugar. The problem is, I have not other alternative. I don't really have time to dehydrate my own fruit and don't want to spend an arm and a leg on a food shipment service. Any recs? I know Thrive Market is good, but don't love the commitment to join.

Longing for Whole Foods and Trader Joe's,
Audrey

Hi Audrey!

You don't need dried fruit or beef jerky to do a whole30 - that's the good news! :). Dried fruit isn't the best choice given the concentration of sugar - this can often keep the sugar cravings alive.  And beef jerky, while convenient can easily be replaced with planning in advance and taking real food with you where you would normally take beef jerky.

I imagine it's really hard to live in a food desert so I commend you on taking the program on!

Archived