Sweet potatos

I'm on day six and have been eating half a sweet potato daily for the last six days. Is that too much sweet potato? I am a fairly active person. I usually ride my bike 9 miles daily, or some other type of physical activity. I've read peoples posts where people say they ate too many sweet potatos during their whole30 and they didn't get the results they wanted. I"m just cursious if sweet potatos can deter results too much.

Kimberly, let's put this into perspective. One large sweet potato has about 37 grams of total carbs (31 grams net - without the fiber). If you're eating a half a sweet potato a day, that's contributing a whopping (!) 15 grams of carbs to your daily total. Do 15 minutes of high intensity activity you've just slammed through 15 grams of muscle and liver glycogen. (My point? Half a sweet potato isn't really that much!)

In summary, I think people fear "carb-dense" veggies because there's been such a huge backlash against carbs in general - but we think carbs are not the enemy, when they're coming from good food! If your diet is working to support your activity levels, then I think you're doing a great job. Keep it up!

Best,

Melissa

Archived