Wait to restart Whole30?

quitequaint

I recently found out that my probiotics have been non-compliant, so I am on Day 2 of my restart (would've been Day 24). However, I will be attending a 7-night meditation retreat at the end of February and the tail-end of my Whole30 Restart. They serve vegetarian meals largely based on soy (tofu) and legumes and likely cruciferous vegetables (which I'm also avoiding). Here is an outline of their meal plan. They can cater to gluten-free and dairy-free and have a refrigerator and microwave available for supplemental food. However, I am not allowed to re-heat/cook any meat in the microwave. I have also been advised by my acupuncturist (who I'm seeing for alopecia, digestion, and general well-being and has been my catalyst for doing Whole30) to avoid cold/raw foods, so I haven't been eating salads.

This leaves me with two options...

1) Loosely follow Whole30 (meaning I'll occasionally eat out at a restaurant or have a drink with friends, but comply otherwise and not stress out too much about it) until my retreat; eat the standard meals offered at the retreat (except for gluten, dairy); continue with a solid Whole30 afterwards so I could do an official reintroduction. What concerns me with this is the possibility of me getting burnt out and possibly not following through to the end/reintroduction (it would be three months of being mentally consumed by Whole30 by the time I actually finish a straight 30-days). I'm also afraid of reintroducing all these grains, soy/legumes, etc. at the retreat and it being a shock to my system that will leave me feeling ill all week.

2) Continue my restart right now and just deal with living off of boiled eggs, salads, tuna, deli meat, other cold foods during the whole retreat week; Do the reintroduction as soon as I get back. The downside of this is that I'm afraid of worrying too much about meal planning & compliant food during my retreat, where I'm intentionally trying to focus on restoring my mental and emotional well-being. I am also just a downright picky eater (I prefer "foodie." Ha!) and I much prefer full-blown delicious meals than to throwing together random protein/vegetables/cold staples.

What would you do if you were me? Please help!

On 2/1/2018 at 3:17 PM, kirkor said:

Can you bring your own George Foreman or electric skillet?

Unfortunately not, but thank you for the idea. I can't have food in my room and I'm not even allowed to eat meat inside the dining hall (they request you eat it outside). I'm going to just opt for option 1 as I think it will be the least stressful route for me.

Archived