February 5, 2018 Accountability Buddies

KalinaM

Day 22 was pretty uneventful, but I guess that is a good thing. I think that means this whole thing has reached a level of normalcy for me. I am pretty excited that we only have 8 more days to go!! My coworker said she can tell that I've lost weight, she can see it in my face. I still haven't weighed myself, but I think she's right! Either way, I feel good and I feel like I look better now than when I started. :)

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Ckjos said:

Yay! This is great to hear!! I think I have tiger blood too! I have been sleeping less, but I'm really energetic during the day. I guess my body needs less sleep than I originally thought! It's nice to have energy with out relying on caffeine! 

I know, right? I still do need coffee in the morning, but that's OK, not as much as before!!

3 hours ago, Ckjos said:

Day 22 was pretty uneventful, but I guess that is a good thing. I think that means this whole thing has reached a level of normalcy for me. I am pretty excited that we only have 8 more days to go!! My coworker said she can tell that I've lost weight, she can see it in my face. I still haven't weighed myself, but I think she's right! Either way, I feel good and I feel like I look better now than when I started. :)

Hooray!! Next week you can find out for sure. Last time I took measurements on my thighs and waist to see if there was a difference there, but I forgot to do that on day 0. Oh well..... I feel like my face looks thinner, so I'll take it!! :)

4 hours ago, Ckjos said:

Thank you for your feedback! I really hope this happens to me. I had SUCH a sweet tooth before, I'd love to be content with less! I just reread what your thoughts on the reintroduction. I think it is great that you know what food groups you'll need to spend more time on! Good that you have plans to take your time and be deliberate about how you reintroduce your food. I'm going into it a bit blindly. But if things don't go perfect with the reintroduction, I won't get too stressed about it. I plan on doing whole30 (or hopefully whole60!) again someday, so whatever goes awry this time I'll make sure to do better next time. ;)

Yes, I wanted to take the time to reintroduce different legumes slowly last time, but as I said-- I was newly pregnant and once morning sickness took over-- it was just too difficult to keep track of.

Why am I not getting tiger blood?? I’m sticking to the plan, have,t cheated once.  No more headaches, but I’m still pretty tired overall.  I was really hoping that I’d get that energy boost at some point.  I’m really sure I’ll make it through next 8 days, and already planning my next round.

1 hour ago, Jeanne M said:

Why am I not getting tiger blood?? I’m sticking to the plan, have,t cheated once.  No more headaches, but I’m still pretty tired overall.  I was really hoping that I’d get that energy boost at some point.  I’m really sure I’ll make it through next 8 days, and already planning my next round.

Well, I never really got "tiger blood" - which I think of as a fairly dramatic thing.  I did experience dramatic health gains, and modest mood/sleep/energy improvements.  The total benefits package, for me, were/are outstanding, and it's a no-brainer for me to continue to eat 95% Whole 30 all the time.   I guess I would suggest not to fixate too much on any one aspect of the potential gains from doing a Whole 30, and look at the total impact it has on you.  

On 2/24/2018 at 8:00 PM, Jeanne M said:

So I love potato chips and dip, especially buffalo chicken dip.  Found compliant recipe and it’s really tasty!  Now for the chips, zucchini chips were tasty, but not srispy enough to stand up to the dip.  Anyone else found a good substitute for potatoes chips?? 

I have used carrot chips - not chips really, just plain carrots in the produce section - but if you buy the already sliced crinkle cut chip type, they are good for dip. They are really good with guacamole. 

Why am I not getting tiger blood?? I’m sticking to the plan, have,t cheated once.  No more headaches, but I’m still pretty tired overall.  I was really hoping that I’d get that energy boost at some point.  I’m really sure II’ll make it through next 8 days, and already planning my next round.

I'm still up and down in my energy level. But I have noticed that on cloudy, dreary days I am tired and depressed and on sunny days I have been feeling great. We have had a lot of cloudy dreary days lately and I'm getting really tired of it so I think it is actually that more than my diet. 

22 hours ago, KalinaM said:

Nope, but I thought that chips and snacking like that are not allowed on Whole30. Not sure, maybe a mod can weigh in. Because *technically* I found lots of potato chips that are compliant (made with only potatoes, canola oil and salt).... but the point is NOT to eat them because they are a SWYPO food and encourage snacking. That's my two cents on it...... Anyway-- soon you can have potato chips again! Those are one of my "worth it" foods to indulge sometimes! 

I am not a mod, but I tend towards OCD which means I've read the rules quite a bit, and feel pretty comfortable saying that Kalina is correct, chips of any kind are not allowed on the Whole 30 program. 

The way I think about it, there are two aspects to the Whole 30, physical and mental.  They are, of course, interrelated.  From a physical standpoint, the primary purpose is to eliminate all potentially problematic food types from your diet, and then do the one at a time reintros to understand their impact on you personally. 

Additionally, many people have an unhealthy psychological relationship with food, in one or more areas.  Whole 30 tries to address this as well.  Not unwisely, chips are ruled out, as fried/crispy/salty things tend to be addictive.

However, these "mental" issues are where there may be gray-ish areas, at least to my mind.  If you were to do a whole 30 in every way EXCEPT you ate compliant kale chips one night in the first week, compliant zucchini chips one night the second week, etc, I'm pretty sure you could still do re-intros and experience the educational benefits of adding foods back one at a time.  But would you experience the same benefit of MENTALLY changing your relationship with food?  I'd say POSSIBLY not, maybe PROBABLY not.  So, I'd say it would be best to not try to include chips of any kind during the whole 30, but if you already did once or twice, don't scrap the work you've done - you can still experience most of the benefits.  

That's long winded, hope it helps :D 

12 hours ago, Jim4884 said:

Well, I never really got "tiger blood" - which I think of as a fairly dramatic thing.  I did experience dramatic health gains, and modest mood/sleep/energy improvements.  The total benefits package, for me, were/are outstanding, and it's a no-brainer for me to continue to eat 95% Whole 30 all the time.   I guess I would suggest not to fixate too much on any one aspect of the potential gains from doing a Whole 30, and look at the total impact it has on you.  

No tiger blood for me either and sleep has taken a turn for the worse. Lack of good sleep is making me want to throw in the towel but with a week left, might as well stick with it.

On 2/24/2018 at 2:48 PM, Ckjos said:

I haven't really given too much thought yet on how I will do my reintroduction, but it's probably a good time to starting thinking about it! I was thinking about extending to do a whole40 because I am really enjoying the way I feel. But we have a few birthday parties at the end of march, so I'd like to be able to eat and drink without strict restrictions by then. I think if I do whole30 again, I'll try to find a time to allow me to try a whole60. It seems so sad to stop right when thinks are falling into place! 

I like the reintroduction plan in the link you posted. I think I'll follow that! Although I may have to reintroduce alcohol on day 4 or 5, that will be the first weekend after whole30 and I'd love to have a drink with friends again!

I am nervous about my reintroduction ending and me going back to my sugar addiction and old eating habits though. Does anyone who has done whole30 before have tips for not letting that happen?

This is my 4th Whole30 since January 2017 - it's been a very iterative process for me. Every single time, my old habits eventually come back, but that's ok when they do! Take the opportunity to reflect on why that happened, and just hop on another Whole30 when you can. Each round, you'll maintain your zen eating a bit longer, and each time it'll last a bit longer. It's all about learning and adjusting, and it will probably take some time and a few rounds. The Food Freedom Forever book has a great section on how old eating habits sneak back into our lives (they had different situations and outlined each in detail). I found that really helpful following my third Whole30. You'll eventually learn which foods trigger cravings/symptoms, and will be able to evaluate whether it's worth it to eat (weirdly enough, pizza seems to trigger my sugar cravings lol).

One thing that I think is important to note is the "mini-reset" idea that is floating around. After I completed two Whole30s, I started attempting mini-resets, and never succeeded to follow them for more than a few days. I found that I needed the full Whole30 to commit. I recently found a blog entry by Melissa that discussed how mini-resets are a tool to be used after you've done at LEAST three Whole30s :blink: Maybe you'd be fine to do mini-resets, but I wish I'd found that article earlier to save me a lot of strife and negative feelings of failure! 

I'm also thinking about extending to a Whole45 - I agree that I am feeling so good, and want to put off feeling gross during the reintroduction days just a little bit :)

Y’all were almost through!!!!! I’m really glad I stuck this out.  Trying to plan out my re-introduction, but i feeling pretty sure dairy is goin to be my main culprit.  I. Planning another round since I’ve done so well this time, just wish I wasn’t so tired still, but I’m thinking I had way more sugar (from processed foods) than I realized.  Plus this has gotten me excited about cooking again, I’ve made some really great recipes.

Day 23!! I am suffering from food boredom, but I am feeling well! My skin is clear, my sleep is deep and I have energy throughout the day!! Hooray. My biggest struggle is fitting in dedicated meal times with my toddler's ever changing schedule. Today I had to eat my lunch in two sessions a couple hours apart due to his needs. Oh well. I do what I can!

3 minutes ago, KalinaM said:

Day 23!! I am suffering from food boredom, but I am feeling well! My skin is clear, my sleep is deep and I have energy throughout the day!! Hooray. My biggest struggle is fitting in dedicated meal times with my toddler's ever changing schedule. Today I had to eat my lunch in two sessions a couple hours apart due to his needs. Oh well. I do what I can!

I’m not bored yet!  Been trying a lot of new recipes, made fajitas for dinners those week, and felt like I was missing something (other than cheese!), so whipped up some homemade salsa for the first time, quick easy and spicy than I expected.  I’m still pretty tired, my skin is definitely better too, and I’ve had several people who didn’t know what I was doing tell me I look thinner or my face looks thinner. Feeling pretty successful so far!

2 hours ago, KalinaM said:

https://meljoulwan.com/  Best whole-30ish (her recipes are usually compliant and she is pretty good about distinguishing which are and aren't) cooking site on the planet.  Everything from super easy to big project type recipes.  I hope you can find some newness....

I can’t believe there are only four days left.  Planning my re-introduction and anxious to prep for another round.  I feel like I’ve learned (remembered) so much.  I’m anxious to see how well I apply what I’ve learned to keep eating healthfully, but have some treats now and then.

I can’t believe there are only four days left.  Planning my re-introduction and anxious to prep for another round.  I feel like I’ve learned (remembered) so much.  I’m anxious to see how well I apply what I’ve learned to keep eating healthfully, but have some treats now and then.

I read somewhere that some proverb says that "80% is perfection." Meaning.... if you expect 100% all the time, you will fail. But 80% is doable.... I like that! Yes for 30 days, 100% is doable.... but for the rest of my life?? I'm aiming for perfection.  ;)

Who else is still with us??? We've got this, Jeanne! Down to the end... I planned meals for week one of reintro. Glass of wine day 31. Then whole30 days 32 and 33.... We're meeting with friends over the weekend so will be having hummus and most likely non gluten grains in the same meal.... but then back to whole30 for 3 days and if we're feeling well, we'll try gluten. 

6 hours ago, KalinaM said:

Who else is still with us??? We've got this, Jeanne!

Still here! I am thinking about doing dairy on my day one. I want a celebratory cappucino! And (plain) yogurt with fruit for breakfast! Then hopefully a few drinks on Saturday, Legumes the following Tuesday and grains to finish off the week! I need to reread the reintroduction part of the book this weekend so i can mentally prepare myself for the reintroduction. I don't want to end up downing 40 donuts because I wasn't mentally ready! ;)

On 27.2.2018 at 7:44 PM, kayten said:

This is my 4th Whole30 since January 2017 - it's been a very iterative process for me. Every single time, my old habits eventually come back, but that's ok when they do! Take the opportunity to reflect on why that happened, and just hop on another Whole30 when you can. Each round, you'll maintain your zen eating a bit longer, and each time it'll last a bit longer. It's all about learning and adjusting, and it will probably take some time and a few rounds.

Great advice! That is amazing you have done this 4 times! It is definitely something worth coming back to. I hope to be forgiving with myself after whole 30 and I definitely plan too do it again, I'd like to do it 60 days starting next January, but maybe there will be an opportunity to do it sooner than that. In the warm months, I hate to do it though. I love having the freedom to go to restaurants and bars with friends in the summer and sit outside. But I need to look into what 80% whole30 looks like. If you do that do you have certain days where you don't do whole30? Or just a certain amount of times per week you break from whole30? I'll give that some thought too.

I had a bit of a let down this past week. I also do weight watchers, where I go to meetings and get weighed weekly. Since I've been doing whole30 I have been getting weighed, but I asked my coach to track it in my booklet, but not tell me my progress. However, this week she asked if something has changed, because I suddenly gained a lot of the weight back. <_< I haven't been eating differently, so maybe I just drank too much water/tea before the weigh in. But I felt pretty down in the dumps, and I was upset that she told me that after I asked not to know my weight. But I talked to a friend of mine who has done whole30 and he said it is normal at the end to go up in weight because you start regaining muscle, or something like that. I feel physically great right now, and I look like I have lost weight. But it was still a blow to hear that I gained weight for some reason. :/ Do you guys know if there is any truth in that your weight goes back up in the last week? Just curious.

Otherwise, things are going pretty well. I am invited to two birthday parties tonight, so I am planning a big dinner beforehand so that I'm not tempted to snack! Although my friends said they prepared some whole30 approved fingerfood. :) 

I can't belive we just have three days left after today! Before this started, I wasn't sure if I would be able to stick it out. But I am SO glad that I did! I feel really good. I love waking up with energy and not feeling weighed down with sugar! I hope you all have a lovely weekend!

5 hours ago, Ckjos said:

I had a bit of a let down this past week. I also do weight watchers, where I go to meetings and get weighed weekly. Since I've been doing whole30 I have been getting weighed, but I asked my coach to track it in my booklet, but not tell me my progress. However, this week she asked if something has changed, because I suddenly gained a lot of the weight back. <_< I haven't been eating differently, so maybe I just drank too much water/tea before the weigh in. But I felt pretty down in the dumps, and I was upset that she told me that after I asked not to know my weight. But I talked to a friend of mine who has done whole30 and he said it is normal at the end to go up in weight because you start regaining muscle, or something like that. I feel physically great right now, and I look like I have lost weight. But it was still a blow to hear that I gained weight for some reason. :/ Do you guys know if there is any truth in that your weight goes back up in the last week? Just curious.

Otherwise, things are going pretty well. I am invited to two birthday parties tonight, so I am planning a big dinner beforehand so that I'm not tempted to snack! Although my friends said they prepared some whole30 approved fingerfood. :) 

I can't belive we just have three days left after today! Before this started, I wasn't sure if I would be able to stick it out. But I am SO glad that I did! I feel really good. I love waking up with energy and not feeling weighed down with sugar! I hope you all have a lovely weekend!

Well, I haven't been weighing at all and this is my first time, so I really don't know, but  - people have been saying I look like I have lost weight and some days I think so and some days I feel like my weight has gone back up again and my clothes are tighter. I know it is normal for our weight to fluctuate, whether doing whole 30 or not, so I'm trying not to worry about it, but it's hard. I'm sorry that happened to you - she really should not have said that. Sometimes people just do not think before they speak :( I keep trying to remind myself - just trust the process. 

6 hours ago, Ckjos said:

Still here! I am thinking about doing dairy on my day one. I want a celebratory cappucino! And (plain) yogurt with fruit for breakfast! Then hopefully a few drinks on Saturday, Legumes the following Tuesday and grains to finish off the week! I need to reread the reintroduction part of the book this weekend so i can mentally prepare myself for the reintroduction. I don't want to end up downing 40 donuts because I wasn't mentally ready! ;)

13 hours ago, KalinaM said:

I read somewhere that some proverb says that "80% is perfection." Meaning.... if you expect 100% all the time, you will fail. But 80% is doable.... I like that! Yes for 30 days, 100% is doable.... but for the rest of my life?? I'm aiming for perfection.  ;)

Who else is still with us??? We've got this, Jeanne! Down to the end... I planned meals for week one of reintro. Glass of wine day 31. Then whole30 days 32 and 33.... We're meeting with friends over the weekend so will be having hummus and most likely non gluten grains in the same meal.... but then back to whole30 for 3 days and if we're feeling well, we'll try gluten. 

I'm still here too! 4 more days (counting today) and all I can think about the past few days is food (what I'm going to eat on re-introduction days) and weighing myself!  I have decided to skip the day 1 alcohol re-intro because I have noticed I really don't miss wine like I thought I would (or is it just because I want to get to eat pizza again sooner?) So I think I'll do the legumes, then non-gluten grains, then dairy, then gluten, and then I'll decide about the alcohol.  

13 hours ago, Ckjos said:

I planning on doing dairy first too.  I’m pretty sure it’s going to be my main issue, so want to identify it and plan my adjustments.  

Archived