Anita's W30

wheresanita

Greeetings!

Today is 1/1/13 and day 1 of my 2nd Whole 30 in the last 4 years. My husband and I are both on board so that will make things a bit easier. We've been paleo on and off since our 1st Whole30 - much more off the the last few months. I feel less than great, I've gained weight and I'm tired of it. So here we are on day 1. My plan for the day is...

breakfast: black coffee, ground buffalo sauteed with onions and mushrooms (reheated) with fresh

zucchini. I also have a few mini egg/veggie/meat "muffins"

lunch: chicken with onion, pepper, zucchini, summer squash all sauteed in coconut oil with Tsardust

Memories (Penzey's blend)

dinner: curried chicken that I made in the crock pot yesterday with some steamed frozen mixed veggies

when I get home from my 12 hour shiff.

I have a few emergency snacks (egg 'muffins', carrots and guacamole) to get me through the day at work along with 3 liters of water and a La Croix Coconut Seltzer to have with my lunch.

I have a workday ritual that involves a stop at Starbuck's - today my order will simply be a grande americano black - by the time I finish my 40 minute drive the coffee is done and i'm ready to face my day!

I hope everybody else has a great day 1!

~Anita

Starbuck's opened late today so no americano for me this morning :wacko:

Day 1 was a challenge since we had a big holiday pot luck at work with a baby shower thrown on top for good measure, but I stuck to my plan and made it through without "falling head first" in to a bowl of anything verboten.

Finishing my day with a nice cup of tea before bed.

Day 1 in the books..yay me!!

So here I am on Day 2...

It's going to be an odd 48 hours because a agreed to work a night shift tonight(!). After I finish my morning feeding I'm heading to my hot yoga class. Afterwards I have a few errands to run and then I'm gng to try to take a nap for a few hours before heading to work. The good thing about working at night is that NOTHING in the hospital is open after 9pm..the bad thing is that people often bring mounds of 'less good' food choices and are anxious to share. I will arrive armed with all my appropriate food choices and about 3 liters of water and I'll be fine - as long as I can stay awake for the shift and then the 45 minute drive home!!

Tom (my husband) and I did a bunch of food prep in the days leading up to the start of our W30 so we still have plenty of quick and easy things available to 'grab and go'. We just have to make sure to have another food prep when supplies begin to run low.

Here's to a great Day 2!!

Well I did indeed survive my night shift! My W30 daily said I might be tired today..hmm..no brainer since I didn't sleep last night :o

I was hungry for a lot of the night but did well with my snacks (mini-meals) about every 2 hours, a lot of water and some nice compliant tea. The drive home was a bit dodgy but I made it safely..

Tom and I are doing another food prep day today - we both have a busy month so when we actually find a day - or even a half day - that we are both off we are trying to spend it in the kitchen. We're making Mel's Well Fed Chili and a few of the recipes from stuffimakemyhusband's blog..if you haven't seen it yet there's a link in the W30 meal planning forum..I've tried a few of her recipes and they have all been winners - lots of crock pot stuff based on the 'once a month cooking' philosophy.

Well, Day 2 in the books and day 3 is half done - so far, so good :D

Hope everybody is having a great day

~Anita

Finished Day 3 strong and Day 4 is almost in the books. I'm broiling a chimichurri skirt steak to toss over a big green salad with some avocado for dinner. Then I'll pack for work tomorrow and get to bed early since the 4:45am alarm comes mighty early!

As I start Day 5 by packing my food for the day it occurs to me that I suffer from "fear of hunger". As a result I pack way more food than I will possibly eat during my 12 hour shift! The fear stems from the knowledge that there are few, if any, compliant choices available to me at work so I have to plan for every contingency. I'd rather bring a bunch of food home with me than be faced with the bad choices presented in our cafeteria.

Well, I made it through day 5 at work. I brought a little bit more food than I needed so a little bit came home with me. Tom had a nice, easy ground beef, veggie and sweet potato 'scramble' for dinner. Unfortunately on these work days I leave home at 5:45 and don't get home until 20:45..long day! And I get to do it all again tomorrow, so I'll be lucky to get 6 hours of sleep tonight. In a peculiar coincidence both Tom and I had difficulty sleeping last night - in spite of the fact that we were in different places! Other than that, things are still going well...day 5 in the books!

Day 6 round up~

I was at work again today and I brought a plentiful supply of food. An outside agency was in the unit today and, as always, brought "treats" - an assortment of cookies and crackers. I had little difficulty staying away from them - which was nice. I had a lovely dinner, prepared by my husband, when I got home and now I'm just getting ready for bed and looking forward to an awesome Day 7! :)

I didn't have to work today but I had an all day class. I prepared well and brought adequate food, water and emergency snacks. Got through the day with no issues and went to Hot Yoga this evening. And Day 7 is uneventfully in the books...

Here's to a strong week 2!

I , too, worked nights for many years. I've been on days for about a year now but we're a bit short on the PM shift so I've been helping out by doing an extra shift on nights about every other week. Not to bad for an occasional OT but I certainly don't want to go back to it full time! It doesn't seen to matter whether it's day or night - there is always sooo much junk around. Fortunately most of my coworkers are pretty good about not trying to "talk me in to" a less than healthy choice. It's only my own head I have to worry about!!

And oddly enough life is still busy! I didn't even have a chance to post here yesterday..I had class and I did a little food prep and got a bunch of small chores done since Tom and I are both working 12 hour shifts the next few days. No real issues today - just getting it done! More that 1/3rd of the way.. :)

Day 12 done! I was VERY busy at work and had some difficulty drinking my water. All my food was on target but as I said, i had a busy day at work so I didn't get to lunch until 2pm. It doesn't sound that bad, except that breakfast was at 5:15..I was more than a little hungry!! And I get to do it all again tomorrow :wacko:

So here I am starting Day 15! Yesterday I woke up with a scratchy throat and I was losing my voice. I upped my water, took extra Vitamin D and found some compliant Vitamin C as well. I also had a bunch of cravings! Not 'sick food' cravings like toast. They were fleeting and all over the place - pizza, ice cream, coffee with cream, baked potato with cheese and sour cream (this is a weird one since it's not something I previously had often - I think the cheese was driving this one!). None we overwhelming at any given time, but they floated through my head ALL DAY. Maybe because I am a bit under the weather combined with a 2 weeks in tantrum from my brain? But I got through it and here we are at day 15..I still feel a little crappy but the plan for today is the same. I can't wait to see what my brain will do to me today!!

Day 18 and I still have the plague! I actually stayed home from work today. I might have avoided this illness altogether if my co-workers would also stay home when sick! Despite being ill I am still on track. I've just continued to up my fluids and take my vitamins. Slow and steady improvement...

We have a friend who is participating in a W30 through his Xfit gym and is looking for some help. He's going to come over on Sunday for a "weekly cook-up" and some playoff football. He's bringing a bunch of food and we're going to help him prep it for the week - and then feast on W30 approved foods while watching the game(s). Should be fun!

And here we are on Day 19. I'm still sick - feeling a bit better but stayed home from work again today. My husband really wanted me to go to a hockey game with him tonight but I figured a cool, damp hockey rink might not be the best choice for me. So he went on his own. We like to do a little "tailgating" at the hockey games. Tonight he took his water, a big bag of salad and home made dressing. He brought the small gas grill with some chimichurri marinated skirt steak to put over the salad and had a nice Whole30 pre-game party for himself!

We did a Whole30 a few years ago and we struggled a bit. This time around it has been stress free for us. I can't speak for his cravings but mine have been minimal. Our weekly food preps have helped enormously. 19 days in I see no real reason to suspect any big drama in getting to the 30. We talked about it this morning. Neither of us have any desire to dive in to a 1/2 gallon of ice cream on January 31st! We will continue to try to make good choices on a daily basis. When we off-road it will be a conscious decision with a commitment to jumping right back on the wagon as opposed to plunging over a junk food cliff!

We're looking forward to our big food prep day with our W30 newbie friend. Hopefully we'll send him hope with enough protein for the week and some ideas on how to manage his food prep for the remainder of his W30, and the secret special knowledge of how to make your own mayo! :D

Day 26... I haven't really posted much as the last week has really been a breeze! Unfortunately I'm now in the middle of a 3 day work stretch and it's testing me. On nights between work days I'm lucky to get 6 hours of sleep and I have learned in the last 26 days that I really do best with a solid 8 - 9 if I can get the extra hour! So losing 2-3 hours per night is not so bueno! I feel puffy and lethargic so I'm trying to make sure I'm getting enough fat. I generally do really well in the protein/veggie arena. I cook in my healthy fats and try to mix in fattier cuts of meat but in the next 2 days I'm going to add in an extra avocado per day and see if that helps. I know the only "cure" is more sleep but that is simply not possible> So I'm trying the dietary experiment to see how it works...

And here I am at Day 30! It's been a good month. Again, with Tom also participating it hasn't been that difficult to stay on plan. The hardest thing for me is the lack of sleep when I'm working. I'm in school 3 days a week so my 3 12 hour shifts all have to be between Friday and Monday. In some ways 3 in a row is just simpler, but having a 1 day break to catch up on rest is also helpful. Whole30 or not, that will not change until the end of April when the semester is over.

I weighed myself on Jan 1 but did not take any measurements. I had gotten so far off track with my food and gained so much weight in the previous 3 months that I just couldn't do it! So no pics and no measurements. Now, I know that the W30 is not a weight loss program. However, last summer I did hire a Whole9 consultant to help me with weight loss. The program was sound, the advice excellent but I was just not committed - even though I paid for the service! (That usually motivates me in a way little else does!!). of course I still have the plan template and I plan on using this 30 days as a jumping off point to re-commit to my prescribed plan. It is basically W30, less the starchy carbs unless I am doing a particularly challenging workout. It also incorporates 2 "treats" per week - if desired. And it's actually 'encouraged' in order to stave off the sense of deprivation that can come from a fairly strict eating plan. Of course there are recommendations for "less bad" treats.

My plan is to try to limit myself to stepping on the scale 1x/week. I have a 'goal weight' but it is flexible since I have been overweight my entire adult life. Once I get to a point where I am content with how I look and feel, then I will do another W30 (no scale, no measuring food) and use those 30 days to get used to my "new normal". After that, if eating clean results in further adjustment to my body composition, great..if not, so be it as long as I'm happy and healthy.

Archived