Jalapenos in a jar... Is the vinegar ok?

Nicole

I live in New Zealand so we don't get jalapenos really. Just the Thai chillis and such... Well, I bought some jalapenos in a jar which had kosher ingredients: jalapenos, water, vinegar, salt... But now that I have them I wonder if the vinegar is alright. I understand that some vinegars are not Whole 30 compliant... Do you think I am safe to eat it? Or should I avoid? I'm assuming it's just a white vinegar, but it does not say.

Hm, I just want to send out a warning that a lot (and I mean a LOT) of vinegars seem to have sulfites in them as antioxidants. Just panicked earlier tonight as I was making my own mayo and realized every single type of vinegar I had in the cabinet had potassium disulfite in it! Have searched online as well and it seems really hard (at least here in Sweden) to find ones without - only the truly organic ones report no sulfites in the ingredients.

Hm, I just want to send out a warning that a lot (and I mean a LOT) of vinegars seem to have sulfites in them as antioxidants. Just panicked earlier tonight as I was making my own mayo and realized every single type of vinegar I had in the cabinet had potassium disulfite in it! Have searched online as well and it seems really hard (at least here in Sweden) to find ones without - only the truly organic ones report no sulfites in the ingredients.

I might avoid the jalapenos... I don't know... They are not a necessity, so...

I am drinking apple cider vinegar in water and it seems to be 100% natural good stuff. It's even made in New Zealand (where I am). It says: 100% naturally fermented apple juice. GE free. Free from artificial colours, additives, cholesterol, lactose and gluten. It also says it is made with minimal processing... It was a more expensive option too (not that that means much). Nothing about potassium disulfite.

Ah, that's great though! Guess it has to explicitly say that it's all natural.

I did find one here, a lot more expensive but seems to be completely naturally fermented as well. However, I doubt any secondary products (like the jalapenos) would use the natural stuff unless they stated it specifically? So I'm gonna stay away from anything that says vinegar on it unless it's actually natural vinegar or it says on the product how that vinegar was made :/

Archived