Starting Whole30 5/14/2018

TheJustinB

I ate beetroot purée with cherrys and lamb. It was superb, just the communication was problematic :rolleyes:

Speaking of non-scale wins: I could buckle the watch strap one hole in! That’s a big issue for me, because i don’t like that my wrists are that thick..Yay! And also, my nails aren’t braking anymore. After just three-four days I felt it was better.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 5/15/2018 at 7:16 AM, Noémi said:

I think it’s the clearing up part. At least it feels that way. I am not sure if it’s ok for me to eat nightshades in the long run, but I want to finish 30 days with the original rules, before ruleing out other groups. Thanks for the links, I have only read the one from the book. 

Hi, this is my first round of whole30, and i'm on day 29 and still have some inflammation! i also was thinking of continuing on for a bit longer. i read in Melissas book, people with autoimmune issues, it could take longer for the inflammation to calm down. I was also thinking of cutting out night shades!

Hey friends, just wanted to check in with everyone. :)

My current NSVs:

• inflammation & stiffness in hands and ankles almost gone!
  • ring fitting better
  • energy slowly picking up from last week (which kicked my butt by the way)
  • I feel more in control of my food choices
  • I've meal planned and gone grocery shopping two weeks in a row!
  • I'm not hating cooking

My husband started Sunday, and I am so proud of him for doing this. He's definitely not convinced that he's going to see a difference, but he's willing to try it, which is awesome.

Our first big challenge: FAMILY REUNION. It's this coming weekend, and apparently there's a tonnnnn of amazing food there. My husband and I basically said if it comes down to it, and we can't get to compliant food, we can start over together, but I think we're going to coordinate with his mom and see if we can do some grocery shopping while we're there so we can have some easy, ready to go plates.

@Noémi Wow that dinner sounds amazing!

Glad to hear of everyone's NSVs - that helps keep me going.  I'm still in the grumpy phase of it all, and have been so tempted to quit today, but I definitely DO NOT want to do last week over again, so that alone has kept me going!!!   This week has got to be better... and I know from past Whole 30 experience that it will be.  How's the depression? Mine is up and down.  Hoping it will get better this week too.

I guess my main NSV right now is the peace of knowing what I'm eating for lunch and taking the time to actually sit down and eat it, rather than running to a convenience store and trying to grab something "sort of"  healthy that I mostly have a lot of guilt about and eat on the fly.  I just finished off a hamburger patty topped with fried mushrooms, onions, and peppers; avocado, beets and spinach salad.  Pretty satisfying.  I need to remember to make some compliant mayo tonight. 

@ldmcniel Agh! Family Reunion!!!! You can do it!! So glad mom-in-law is willing to get on board with helping you :)

Depression is definitely better, but my head is itching all over. It’s killing me. Do you think it’s because of the diet? I feel I want to shave all my hair off :blink:

I am ready to feel the tiger blood part :D I have a busy week, and I feel all I am eating is different kind of scrambled eggs. 

Its not easy to buy organic meat around here, so I have to make do, until I get to a decent butcher or the farmers market...

@ldmcniel way, to go! Don’t stress it too much, especially if it’s a rare thing. Our close family has around twenty birthday gatherings, I had to realize I have to miss out at least on some of the cakes and stuff.

And your MIL is very nice, even for trying!

So I'm still working through the Kill All The Things phase haha. Yesterday I was so grumpy. At everything.

BUT I woke up just fine yesterday, had energy and felt mostly good, until about 3pm when I crashed and ended up with a migraine on my way home from work. Anyone else having like a half day of energy? I can't remember if this happened to me last time, and if it did, I'm not sure I would have noticed, as I wasn't working outside our home at the time.

This morning I woke up just fine too, even though it was super early, and I definitely didn't sleep long enough...because toddler. So being able to get out of bed and just function immediately is a HUGE nsv for me. I do remember that being a benefit last time. 

I found that I eat much less, than before the diet. My dinners are like meat and salad and I am totally full. And I like raw vegetables more than cooked ones :o It definitely makes cooking easier :D 

And yesterday my bellydance teacher said that my belly and thighs are also smaller. So that's a win!

I am already over D11, so I am happy! Yesterday I wanted to drink some hard alcohol, I had a breakdown in the evening, but I managed. I can see now, where are my trigger points and I am not sure I am managing well, but I got almost three weeks, to correct those.

I am just really. tired. of. water. I haven't realized I drink so much "stuff". Usually I don't drink sugary stuff, "just" diet drinks, but I have to rethink that.

4 hours ago, Noémi said:

I found that I eat much less, than before the diet. My dinners are like meat and salad and I am totally full. And I like raw vegetables more than cooked ones :o It definitely makes cooking easier :D 

And yesterday my bellydance teacher said that my belly and thighs are also smaller. So that's a win!

I am already over D11, so I am happy! Yesterday I wanted to drink some hard alcohol, I had a breakdown in the evening, but I managed. I can see now, where are my trigger points and I am not sure I am managing well, but I got almost three weeks, to correct those.

I am just really. tired. of. water. I haven't realized I drink so much "stuff". Usually I don't drink sugary stuff, "just" diet drinks, but I have to rethink that.

I'm eating more in one sitting but most likely less overall.

I made a new rule for myself - no cashews (+larabars, but the ones I like have cashews in them). I made this rule because I can't just eat a small handful. And Larabars are a whole different issue. I straight up binged on them the other night and my inflammation was back all day yesterday. But it's gone today, soooo no more!

I love water, so that isn't an issue for me. My husband likes the flavored carbonated water so he can get the carbonation. You just have to sure to check the ingredients, obviously.

I'm going to wait a few days to do my reintroduction because my husband wants me to do it with him. I also have decided if my gut issues haven't corrected themselves I'm not going to reintroduce until I get that figured out.

On ‎5‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 3:58 AM, Noémi said:

Depression is definitely better, but my head is itching all over. It’s killing me. Do you think it’s because of the diet? I feel I want to shave all my hair off :blink:

I don't know about the itchy head, but now that you mentioned it, I notice mine is itching too!  Just the power of suggestion or is it a real thing???!! HAHA.  But I have a lot of itches on my face, neck etc because of seasonal allergies too. So I don't know.  I'm so waiting for this food change to improve my chronic sinus condition but so far not much is different.

I am only on day 8 and have already felt super irritable at EVERYTHING so not looking forward to it getting worse if the KATT days are still ahead of me.  Every little thing just seems hard, but I do have more moments of clarity - and yes, lots of back and forth feeling great/feeling terrible.  Yesterday I ate way too many carbs and my depression seems worse this morning.  Better get in more veggies today.  

@Noémi Congrats on your teacher noticing smaller belly and thighs - in less than two weeks! that's awesome!

@ldmcniel I also am thinking of putting off my reintro until I have some major shifts.... of course I won't know what that looks like til I get closer to 30 days.  But I want to experiment also with taking out additional things …. coconut for one, :(, eggs, nightshades.  On my last W30 I never did get to feeling as great as I thought I could, so I may go an extra 2 weeks or so.  

1 minute ago, CaseyP said:

@ldmcniel I also am thinking of putting off my reintro until I have some major shifts.... of course I won't know what that looks like til I get closer to 30 days.  But I want to experiment also with taking out additional things …. coconut for one, :(, eggs, nightshades.  On my last W30 I never did get to feeling as great as I thought I could, so I may go an extra 2 weeks or so.  

I felt great at the end of mine, so I'm hoping it's just my body needs some time to adjust. We'll see.

I am having some issues with raisins. I just realize these things. Its interesting, how much clearer I see these now.

I am dreading the reintro part. I am not really keen on being unwell again...I will have some +days, I have an appointment for bioresonance therapy, I am curious to find out what changed. I also scheduled a blood test, to see whats happening now...

I think I want to continue if I can to a whole60, I will decide 20 days later :D

Interesting.  I have problems with raisins too.  But I agree, I think once we get most of the really bad stuff cleared away, we can get even more fine-tuned.

That was smart to schedule a blood test to check on changes!

I have been feeling really great this afternoon and evening.  Maybe it's just because I've taken the next 4 days off!  :D  Hopefully it means I'm resetting!!

I have been waking up really early the last couple days.  In a way that's good, but it seems toooo early.

I have noticed pants are slightly more loose the last couple days - Yay!!

But my meals have gotten rather haphazard and not necessarily balanced.  I need to rethink that this weekend and plan better for next week.  I'm going to Farmer's market today so hopefully I will get some inspiration and have time to try a couple new recipes.  

Today was “I want to eat everything and anything” day. But I managed to make it through. And I wasn’t even snacking on raisins, so yay! 

My healer said I have to loose weight. Somehow it made me sad, and very unmotivated :( Maybe because I cannot moose weight overnight and it is already an issue for me. 

@CaseyP Hurray for the pants! I am also feeling better in my clothes, and the scale is very tempting. 

Just this depression is not going away :( It’s like a rollercoaster...

@Noémi Ohhhhhhhh….. don't get discouraged.  I was just thinking earlier today that "weight" in and of itself really is not a good indicator of health. (I know a lot of thin people who are NOT healthy)  I think that's why Whole 30 forbids the scales.  You're feeling better in your clothes so that means things are moving in the right direction!  And I think feeling better overall is just around the corner -- energy, less cravings, greater muscle mass, joy, ability to concentrate, reasonable sleep patterns... those are all great health indicators and they're all going to get better.... for all of us!  And of course not overnight.     -- For the depression, try eating more carbs like beets or cooked carrots and even a little more fat - extra oil on salads or even nuts, whatever. Try to keep all that in the scope of meals or occasional balanced snacks, but I think it helps brain chemistry.. Good job not snacking on raisins, although even if you did, it wouldn't be BAAAADDDD!  I'm just trying to remember that even snacks should be balanced protein, carb, fat.  

The farmer's market didn't have much produce this time of year so I bought basil plants as a "treat" instead of the delicious looking bakery items being sold = Non.Scale.Victory!!!:D

Today was the first communion of my niece. Usually at their house I eat all afternoon. But today, I brought my own food, and only ate carrots in addition. Yay.

My depression is not really better, but the washing machine flooding the bathroom definitely didn't help.

21 hours ago, Noémi said:

Today was the first communion of my niece. Usually at their house I eat all afternoon. But today, I brought my own food, and only ate carrots in addition. Yay.

My depression is not really better, but the washing machine flooding the bathroom definitely didn't help.

Oh no!!!!! How discouraging and frustrating.  I know, yesterday I was feeling really good and then I started doing some organizing and sorting.  I got frustrated with not knowing how to make things work out nd couldn't find what I was looking for and the depression came back.  There's SO many factors to it all. 

Good job on the food though!! I'm finding my cravings are still there but less controlling. 

oh wow. After saying that about cravings yesterday, they are back full force today.  I almost broke down and bought a Coke, which I haven't even wanted for 2 weeks!  Guess it's still up and down.  Partly it was frustration at work (emotion-based), and partly because I didn't have a very big lunch.  Hope you're doing well!

Archived