Our New Beginnings

LanaG

My husband and I will be beginning our Whole30 adventure on June 28, 2018.  I am excited about that this adventure will reveal to us.  We are both diabetic, hubby on insulin and me not, but have heard that this program is excellent for diabetics.  I am ok with both of the two books I bought and read.  Hoping for something a little better to drink than just plain water.  Hoping that the Nestle infused orange might work since I really hate plain water.  The creamer was cut out of my coffee this morning and cut from 2 artificial sweetners down to only 1 so I can go cold turkey on Thursday.

Praying for great success on this new program.  I feel like this will be the lifestyle change I have been searching for my whole life!

• Moderators

Hi, Lana, welcome to Whole30.

It's a good idea to get used to drinking plain water, it really is best for you, and as you go through your 30 days, your taste buds are likely to change drastically -- you might end up enjoying plain water. 

I'm not sure what's in the Nestle water, you'd have to read ingredients, but LaCroix and Dasani both make flavored carbonated waters that are compliant, and you can always cut up some of your favorite fruits, put them in a pitcher of water in the fridge overnight, and in the morning you'll have infused water. Cucumber and lemon is a nice combination for this, apple and ginger is good, whatever berries you like would work well -- I'd at least cut them in half or smush them up a bit to help the flavor infuse better. You might also like caffeine-free teas (caffeine is fine to have, but you probably don't want to be drinking caffeinated stuff all day, that's the only reason I specified caffeine-free) -- just read the ingredients, they can sneak soy and sweeteners into them sometimes. 

Because your husband is on insulin, it's especially important that he speak to his doctor and keep a close eye on his blood sugar, especially at first-- some people find that because this can be a big change from how they ate before, they need to adjust their insulin dose. It may affect you as well, but adding insulin to the mix is just an extra complication. Be sure you keep something on hand to raise your blood sugar quickly if you need to, especially the first week or two as you work things out. 

Thank you Shannon.  Sprouts has a Whole30 Hint drink that I will check out tomorrow.  Otherwise, I will try the self infused drink.  Maybe I will just drink water at first and use the fruit infused water for lunch.  My husband is good at keeping a check on his sugar because he does have times of going low.  I am putting together my grocery list to spend tomorrow and Wednesday making up all my sauces.  Look forward to a new life-mentally free from food having so much control over my life!

Archived