Whole 30 July-psyched!

mdjess86

Hello! I’m Jessica, I’m a surgery resident, starting my 5th (read last!!) year today. I am an obliger according to Gretchen Rubin (if you don’t know what I’m talking about, highly recommend a google search) and so I decided it would be a good idea to post each day about my whole 30 here. I’ve done 4 whole 30’s before, some more successful (read, able to not eat too much dried mango and almond butter) than others. I’m hoping writing here will help keep me inspired to stay not only on the whole 30 track, but on the no snacking, following the food template track as well. I don’t know that I even need anyone to read this, but putting it out in space makes me feel like I’m responsible to more than just me, which should help me really stick to it!

So, it was a pretty successful day! I managed to stay on track this morning although things were a little tighter timing wise than I expected. I did some dancing and then made a delicious whole 30 breakfast- filet with herb garlic ghee, mushrooms and chard. (I love chard with all my heart). Then I got ready and studied some chess moves (I want to get into chess because my Dad is into and as he gets older I’d like to learn and play with him, but it’s freaking complicated) then I strummed the guitar a smidge.

EB5A8B8D-A779-47F4-B482-FA741375C551-300 

I went swimming for 45 min and gave myself an awesome workout which was just what I needed. Then I did some cooking, had a yummy cod piccata asparagus salad lunch (thanks iheartumami) with tomato mint salad. I also food prepped for the barbecue we had this evening!

I’m currently at a pretty high weight for me, but I know I’m still considered thin by many people, so going to an outdoor pool in a bikin was a little rough, but I knew the only person who cared was me and I was able to drink my kombucha and ride Felix the Flamingo all over the pool. We then barbecued and I had a bison buffalo burger that was AMAZING and some golden cauliflower. This was my first grilling experience (shut up, I know that’s crazy) or at least the first one where I actually did the grilling and I felt very fancy and adult with my prepped food.

5D4470F3-B8EB-4C0F-A20E-BEA3A3E222EB-300

I managed to do all my other little things today like Rosetta stone, emailed my friends, got ready for work tomorrow. I’m going to sleep soon because I’d like to workout before work which means I have to get up stupid early. Worth it! My sheet mask is currently making my face feel amazing and I feel pretty amazing too.

8B79EC9B-E403-4A94-9E2B-B437BB635FF0.jpeg

Thanks BlueKoala!! Same to you lol. My schedule is special, but it’s actually so much better than it used to be!!

Today went pretty well! It started well before dawn (think 3am). I’m starting to try to workout before work (P90X2, I’ve been doing it a while, so it’s not a big change in routine for me) and eat breakfast right afterwards, but since I have to leave for the hospital between 5:15-5:45 (Oh being chief! Used to be 4:15-4:45) I have to wake up mighty early for these plans. But I did it, my muscles screamed, I had a yummy breakfast and made it to work on time. 

776EC2C8-2691-4AB4-A5E6-1FEDAE2FFC87-300

Does anyone else eat the same things for breakfast and lunch? I find it seriously decreases decision fatigue. My mom thinks it’s super boring, but I find it kind of comforting. I had buffalo tuna salad for lunch with leftover golden cauliflower and tomato salad. It was pretty delicious as I was starving by noon. 

Then, an amazing thing happened. Our case cancelled, so I had free time to do some desperately needed errands in the afternoon! It was pretty awesome. I’m on a very chill rotation and as a chief my life is just way more in my control now. It is heavenly. 

I was considering going to jui jitsu tonight, but honestly I still feel intimidated going knowing I’ll have to spar with some big guy and my muscles are aching. I also still need to study...I dont’ know if I’m just giving a bunch of excuses but I decided to rest and do some other things that needed doing. 

For dinner I made iheartumami’s kung pao chicken and garlic lemon broccoli and it was HEAVEN. Serioudly, it’s my new favorite recipe. And I chopped the broccoli and marinated the chicken before hand so it didn’t even take very long. 

A9713F8D-BA83-4F45-AD00-BC888D046BA2-300

I’ve still got to do my nightly routine and study, then I’ll head to bed. I have to try to sleep between 8-9 for the 3am wake up calls to work. I very much look forward to my next rotation where I don’t have to be at the hospital until 6:45!!! I’ll be able to get up at 4, which sounds like a normal person’s time to get up to me. 

Anyway, I feel like I was pretty successful, played some guitar, some chess, did my spanish lessons and ran all those errands I didn’t even know I would have time for. Granted I have a million dishes soaking in the dishwasher and still have loads of laundry to do and haven’t finished my fellowship application and need to review cases tomorrow...this is why I write things down and make to do lists. Thinking of it all is too overwhelming. Today was a good day. Today I got a lot done. Today I can feel satisfied. Onward to tomorrow. 

I generally eat dinner leftovers for lunch the next day. I will eat the same thing for 2-3 meals but I do get tired of it near the end.  I've always been a light breakfast person so I generally stick to eggs and a veggie or sometimes a banana. 

Angryblonde- yeah, I found I actually disliked eating dinner leftovers for lunch, but I have no problem eating the same thing for every breakfast and lunch, and i dont’ mind eating the same meal 2-3x for dinner. I can’t explain it lol. 

Well...I forgot to set my alarm. So I woke up an hour later than planned. This meant no morning workout. I did still have my lemon water and did my morning skincare and cooked breakfast, but I felt off kilter. Then I went to work. I’m still getting used to this new rotation and I’m just very confused at this point. You’d think as a 5th year new rotations wouldn’t throw me, but they still do.

I had a horrible case this morning. I was just really bad with a new skill I really haven’t done much before. I am feeling ok about it now, but don’t want to think about it much. Surgery does force you to be resilient, because after that miserable 3 hr case I still had another big case to go. That one went great.

I’ve eaten my whole 30 food and I’m pretty much on track for water intake. I’m going to go for a run after work, just 3 miles. I may make it 2 depending on how hot it is. Then I’m going to go home and probably do my P90X2 workout then. I hate doing workouts so close together. In theory, since I have tomorrow off I could do it tomorrow sometime. I guess we will see how I feel. My allergies are horrible right now, so my lungs may not cooperate.

So not a perfect day, but honestly going pretty well. I still have to play chess (I’m going to buy a book, the online lessons I have aren’t in depth enough and have progressed too quickly for me). I have to do rosetta stone, play guitar, meditate, and study some more. I already studied quite a bit which is good. Luckily tomorrow I can wake up early, exercise, then focus on studying, my daily activities and then I have a pool party to go to at 3 for 4th of July.

Hope I keep going strong this week!

Still sick, but it's much better. I was up all night coughing but I'm still able to exercise through it, even if I'm not setting any records. I'm on call tonight which I'm not looking forward to. But Fridays are nice because we all have conference at 1:30 and then go back to the hospital for call usually at 5, at 3 today, so it's kind of like a little break and then you only have 14 hrs left so it seems better. I have so much to do, and I'm so stressed about it. But there's nothing I can do about it while I'm on call, so I need to just relax.

I realize no one is reading this but still hoping it keeps me honest. Finally done with fellowship application. So after $1000 lighter it is left to the universe to see if I get interviews. I feel better. I also had my last call for the month yesterday, well, I guess it ended 30 min ago, but anyway that’s nice too. Trying not to sleep so I don’t mess up my sleep cycle, but it’s always hard when I only got 1 1/2 hr sleep last night. Good cases tho. Going to hang out at panera so I can’t sleep, then go to the gym when it opens at 11, then buy groceries and spend the rest of the day food preppping and cleaning. I do so much better when I food prep. For meal 1 I had some baked chicken, guac, broccoli, peppers and a plum. 

@AngryBlonde Lol yay! Someone I can feel accountable to. I had a very productive sunday and today has been super productive as well. That is making me feel a whole lot better. I guess I’m halfway done with this whole 30! I actually food prepped yesterday and have stuck to meal template meals today! I also got up and exercised at 3:30am which was my goal. Since I go to work so early I try to get up and exercise beforehand. Well, I do weight lifting and hiit before work, I run after work, because it’s not safe to run around here super early in the morning. But I don’t always or even often do both. But I have found if I try to do anything other than running after work I just don’t. So I just get up stupid early and go to sleep earlier than a grandma. I’ve got a few errands to run but then I might do a cycle class at my gym. I got off work really early so I actually have some time to do whatever I want and I feel like I could use some cardio. Then I’m making trout for dinner!! I love trout so much but I’ve never made it before. My butcher told me to treat it similar to salmon, so that’s what I’m going for lol. I’m going to have some asparagus and maybe a salad with it, I don’t have a fat yet and the dressing will do that. I have been hungry all day so I know I’m probably not eating quite enough. On the other hand even when my stomach has been rumbling I haven’t really been feeling like eating, so maybe I’m not as truly hungry as I think I am. Anyway, I need to make it to the dry cleaners before they close! I hope everyone else is having a great day. I get to operate all day tomorrow 

Ok, so bad news-my keyboard for my ipad is broken, which is what i use to function as a computer, so it’s super annoying and expensive to fix. But, good news I have 3 interviews for fellowship already! I’m kind of nervous they may be the only interviews i get, but at least i have 3! Hopefully more to come monday. If  o more by wednesday i’ll start reaching out to programs i’m interested in which is almost all of them lol. But i’m feeling way less stressed. Got up kind of late today but i’m drinking my lemon water, about to have breakfast and i’ve got a good plan for the day. Hope everyone else is doing well! Down to the home stretch

Archived