waffles

Susie Bowen

I am confused: Whole30 says absolutely not to make a pancake of any sort (even from bananas & egg) nor to 'substitute' one food for another such as a lara bar for candy; However, I can make waffles and hamburger buns out of sweet potatos? What am I missing? How is that different?

• Moderators

Not sure where you've seen the information that you can make waffles and hamburger buns out of sweet potatoes but that would be against the rules.

Sometimes people call a slice of baked sweet potato a 'bun' - if it's just one ingredient that is acting as a holder for a buger patty, then that's fine.  If you have to manipulate the sweet potato with other ingredients like egg and flour alternative, that's not fine.

As for the waffles, some people with waffle irons will shred a sweet potato and then put a handful of shredded potato into their waffle iron to cook it... again, that's just one cooked ingredient... making a 'batter' and using a waffle iron would not be allowed.

• Moderators

So there aren't any Whole30 approved blogs out there - make sure you're looking at everything you find that says 'Whole30' with a grain of salt if it's not coming from one of our approved or official sources.

As for the actual item in question, it's one of those things in a VERY grey area of SWYPO... If you have a breakfast sandwich 'thing' where you can't imagine not having one for 30 days, then I would steer clear... if it's more like you're just looking for another way to layer breakfast foods together, then it's not so terrible but not really recommended and because the program is only 30 days, my recommendation would be to steer clear - part of the program is about changing the way we look at food so moving away from sandwiches and wraps which are extremely common breakfast items and more over to leftovers or other plated foods that don't resemble the sandwiches and wraps is part of the way we learn about not only how food affects us in our bodies but also in our minds. 

Thank you! I dont have a big thing about breakfast sandwiches. In fact, we didn't layer the waffle, but ate it on the side as one would a sweet potato. Totally get what you mean about rebooting the mind in how we view food...very helpful. I ll refer to the book from now on! Many Thanks!

One other question I can't find a clear answer to: I see that most flavored coffees have artificial flavoring...is this off limits?

• Moderators

Flavored coffee is fine as long as the only ingredients are flavor (artificial or natural) and coffee beans... The way natural and artificial flavors are derived is not exactly the most healthy thing in the world but in the grand scheme of things, a cup of coffee a day with artificial flavors isn't the end of the world. :)

Archived