Breakfast/Workout Plan for a Non-Athlete

atlmg

I started eating Whole30 on April 23rd and have continued because of a longstanding medical condition. I've been listening to my body and increasing activity accordingly. Here's where I'm stuck: I'm nowhere near athlete status. We're talking walks getting longer and more frequent and a little yoga/stretching. I don't think this constitutes needing a pre- and post-workout snack in addition to my meals. But I want to make sure exercise is scheduled into my day and that means doing it first thing in the morning because of my daily schedule. Should I split breakfast in two parts like a pre- and post-workout snack? Should I eat breakfast beforehand and try to wait awhile before my walk? Background info: I'm down almost 20 pounds, but I still have 50 to go. I'm insulin resistant, and I have a traumatic pelvis injury (another great reason to reduce inflammation). I'm determined not to give up! I'd love some advice.

• Administrators

Good Morning,

Whether you need pre and post workout food isn't determined by how close you are to athlete status. ;) The criteria is whether the exercise that you are doing for your body in the condition it is in NOW is depleting to you. If you feel completely wiped at the end of your walk, you would want to incorporate at least post workout food (protein and starchy veggie) which is in addition to whatever you're going to eat for breakfast. Splitting your one meal in half isn't particularly helpful as you are still giving your body the original amount of food but expecting that to make up for depletion. 

It's possible that your exercise doesn't feel depleting which is also fine and so just your breakfast would be sufficient. You can play with timing as far as going on your walk fasted vs eating your meal first. Just see what makes you feel best. 

Thank you! Truly helpful thoughts. I'm trying to walk at a pace brisk enough to make it difficult to talk, but not impossible. So for me, it's appropriately depleting. :) I'll play around with timing and portions and hopefully strike the right balance. Right now, I'm just hoping my baby lets me get a good night's sleep, so I can get back to it. If you get a minute, I'd love some examples of quick pre- and post-workout snacks I could make up ahead of time. Trying to set myself up for success! I've got a long way to go. Thanks again for your help!

• Administrators
1 minute ago, atlmg said:

Thank you! Truly helpful thoughts. I'm trying to walk at a pace brisk enough to make it difficult to talk, but not impossible. So for me, it's appropriately depleting. :) I'll play around with timing and portions and hopefully strike the right balance. Right now, I'm just hoping my baby lets me get a good night's sleep, so I can get back to it. If you get a minute, I'd love some examples of quick pre- and post-workout snacks I could make up ahead of time. Trying to set myself up for success! I've got a long way to go. Thanks again for your help!

Pre-workout would be protein and fat (eg, chicken thighs & guac, meatball & olives, hard boiled egg & mayo) and post workout would be lean protein and starchy veggie (tuna & sweet potato, chicken breast and white potato, egg white and roasted carrots).

Archived