First Day

hunti_bee

Starting my whole30 journey today! I am excited and nervous. My biggest challenge is going to be no booze. There's nothing like a bottle of wine and some good friends at the end of the week. I am nervous about all the social events. You could throw a dart blind folded at my calendar and there is no "good" time to avoid this challenge. I joined this forum for tips and support. 

• Moderators

Hi, @hunti_bee. There have been lots of discussions about alcohol here in the forum -- you might want to take the time to read through them and see if anything resonates with you. Google Whole30 alcohol, or whole30 forum alcohol, for more. 

In general, remember that time with friends ought to be focused on the people, not the food or the alcohol. You are still you, and you are still just as much fun without alcohol as you are with it. If you're at events where you just want to have something that looks like a drink in your hand, go order at the bar and ask for sparkling water or club soda with some lemon or lime or I've even heard of people asking for olives. You don't necessarily have to announce to a whole group you're not drinking. If you're at a restaurant where the table orders a pitcher of drinks or a bottle of wine, it may be more obvious, but don't dwell on it -- have a quick answer for what you're doing if someone asks, for instance something like, "I'm trying this elimination diet because (I have been having trouble sleeping, or had this weird skin rash, or had some digestive issues, or whatever applies for you that you're comfortable saying)." Then just change the subject -- ask them how their week was, or about their kids, or about a big project they've been working on, or whatever. Something open-ended to get them to talk about themselves and change their focus. It'll probably feel weird the first couple of events with no alcohol, but you can definitely do it. 

I've been in the same boat with beer. You just have to make your Whole30 bigger than the wine. Embrace the "crazy" that your doing and don't be shy about what you're trying to accomplish by doing your Whole30! Your purpose will overshadow the frustration and you'll be fine! 

Archived