Firefly's Reintroduction Log (and stuff)

xx_firefly

Reintroduction # 1: Hard Cider

So....this is point where either everyone reading will say (or think).....Firefly didn't do a proper Whole30! 
While this may be true, this was my plan all along. I knew I was hosting an event on day 30, and that it would be at a Cidery. So after finishing my day 30 dinner of Chipotle, I just figured that I would finally try some of this cider that I've been wanting to try for a long time...and yes, when I decide to do (something like) this again, I will make it a point to really break down my reintroduction, but I just wanted to test out some groups in general before making any assumptions. I had about 22 oz. in total (5 oz. of 4 different kinds and then some), and here are the only two things I found.

I was gassy
I could feel my stomach gurgling (but it wasn't too bad or anything.....definitely noticeable)
I was belching again

So this will be something I will keep my eye on for the next time I do something like this again. Now.....onto the beast which is gluten.......

Gluten gluten wheat......I don't know what to make of you.

I was cycling through all sort of options when it came time to introduce this general group, but due to it being a day off for me, it came down to these things

1 bowl raisin bran w/ almond milk
Chia pudding w/ granola, along with home fries
Pulled pork sandwich w/ a beer

Now, re-introducing stuff has been a LOT harder than I thought. Even though my whole30 is technically done, I still have to keep compliant for those two days in-between reintroducing things. That's been tough, because my train of thought it well, my whole30 is done, so I guess it's okay to have such and such....... aside from this, here is what I found

Day of, I had/experienced
Bloat & stomach discomfort
Belching & reflux
Funny feelings in chest, lower jaw & throat
Headache/head pressure
A lot more gas (& it was smelly, unlike before)
SLEEPINESS! (and I took about an hour-2 hour nap)

The day after, I noticed that those initial things above did decrease, but I could still feel it some. I also noticed a bit of sinus pressure (but I'll wait to make a final conclusion on that). By the end of the day, I actually had some feeling of hunger, but I still felt that my stomach was definitely puffed out (I don't know if it was bloating or something else). 

On the second day of recovery (today), my headache, constipation/bloating was practically gone (maybe because gluten took a long time to get through my GI system? Does anyone have any insight to this?) When I had BBQ chicken & avocado w/ ketchup for lunch, I did feel those feelings of bloating, but they have gone away in what I think is a timely manner.

But for the past two days, there was one constant. I woke up between the hours of 3AM & 4AM. One time, I had to wake up to use the bathroom, the other time I didn't. AND....I had a hard time falling back asleep. It was troublesome for that first day (because I had to be up by 7am), but it was better the second day/today (because I had an extra hour to try and sleep some).

That's pretty much the summary of my experience with gluten/wheat. Now, onto the other beast which is dairy...

Hello again! I'm back for an update with dairy.....and woah baby, this was a much wilder ride than gluten.

So, for my dairy day, I had these things
Guacamole (from a mix which had sour cream powder.......I love this stuff)
Omelet w/ cheese
Parmesan Crisps

And day of, I did notice some stomach discomfort & gurgling, which I honestly expected, since I don't eat dairy like it's my life. (To note: I've never liked milk and haven't drank it for years.....I use almond milk). 
Also, disclaimer: I'm sorry if what I'm about to say will gross you out, but it is some things that I've noticed. About 2 1/2 hours after first food consumption (which was guacamole + 1 banana & apple), I had a BM. They usually don't come that quick.
Afterwards, I had a 2 egg omelet w/ cheese in the middle. I do like those occasionally, but just a few hours after eating it.....I HAD MAJOR STOMACH PAINS, BLOATING & GAS!!! This definitely threw me for a loop because I (obviously) wasn't expecting THIS much of a reaction. Making matters worse, I went through this as I was at my job. :unsure: Something else that I noticed during the evening (before my dinner) was that I was feeling....vertigo(?). I had that bit of dizziness feeling + I'm floating (as I'm walking), but that did go away.

Day after, I noticed only a few things.
1. I had stomach trouble after eating my breakfast.
2. I had not 1, but 2 BM's, both in the morning. One was regular, and one was loose.
3. After all of that, I just felt hungry.....<_<

That's pretty much it as far as dairy goes. Now, onto soy & legumes.....

Hello! Here with a final update on soy/legumes...

and I got nothing. There was no noticeable enough effects for me to say 'maybe I should really really limit this'.

Thus concludes my 2nd attempt at a Whole 30! This time, I did it, and I saw it through!

As far as goals, I never really thought about that during this experience. I just focused on the challenge at hand, and I saw it through. 
(But as a shining point, I did go down to under 170, which is something I haven't been near to in a long long long time). 

Finally, I will be back one day to complete another Whole 30 and to really try & break down foods that might give me trouble. 
(I might stop by this forum again if I stray too far away from the healthy 'food freedom' path).

Until next time
;)

Archived