How to increase protein

Bikergirl

Hi, 

I started this Feb 14  (thanks to a very sweet & helpful friend) to help recover from the unanticipated physical & mental stress results of a 4000 mi bicycle ride last summer. (ESCAA2018) It has quite taken the wind out of my sails; I've never been so unfit before.

Complete Nutrition's fancy scale showed a 4% loss of muscle mass, plus bloodwork shows a continued low creatinine level....and a few other imbalances..The diet plan is quite close to how I eat normally, except for dairy of plain yogurt, kefir, cottage cheese, and goat cheese. I was not able to maintain anything close to my normal diet on the ride.

My question now is how to get enough protein. Full disclosure: all red meat, pork, and chicken  are completely off limits for severe allergy reasons. I consume turkey & wild caught fish, raw nuts, and (usually) dairy for protein. Ideas?

• Moderators

Can you have eggs? That would give you another option. 

You can do whole30 with just turkey and fish. We've had pescatarians do just fish and eggs and vegetarians do just eggs, it limits your options and could lead to more food boredom, but it's definitely something you can do. 

Do your allergies apply to venison? Or duck? If not, you could research those as options if you want more choices, but truly, you can do this with what you can eat.

Nuts are not a particularly good protein source, they're considered a fat for whole30 purposes. They're not even the greatest fat source, so we recommend limiting them to a closed handful at a time, and not having them every day.

Archived