Bill and Eileen's Excellent Whole30 Adventure

EileenRBe

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day 24. A tough one.

Was droopy anyway, but a phone call in the a.m. brought up some unresolved family issues that hadn't been at the forefront for awhile. Add to that the DH's car didn't start, so he took mine and I couldn't go get the kombucha starter I was excited to use to get mine going. So that's delayed till later in the week when my friend's available again. And my borscht took forever to get going in the slow cooker, so leftovers for supper and the borscht tomorrow. Grr.

Walked over to the coffeehouse and had a nice coffee with the girls, which cheered me up some. I still wanted to wallow in a glass of wine and popcorn and a half-gallon of ice cream in the worst way. Instead I had my awesome trail mix (probably too much, but hey) and kombucha and salmon and veg leftovers, and am enjoying Fashion Police and Project Runway (welcome back Tim Gunn--it was not the same without you!!).

Tomorrow will be better, how could it not.

Breakfast (late): scrambled eggs, roasted peppers onions & spinach, clementine, coffee.

Lunch: snacked on trail mix (not super hungry), decaf Americano.

Supper: grilled salmon, raw snap peas & zucchini, kombucha.

Day 25, or not?

I just realized grapeseed oil isn't the best oil to be using. I put a message in the Troubleshooting area.

So I might be a startover. I really want the result of having more energy, and the grapeseed oil is high in Omega 6's, which are inflammatory, and inflammation and fatigue have been linked, I've read.

Those dreams that I was eating noncompliant and not realizing it--a premonition maybe?

Breakfast: scrambled eggs, turkey sausage, peppers onions spinach, clementine, coffee.

Lunch: loose meat, green salad, vinaigrette.

Supper (was shopping till late and didn't feel super hungry when I got home, plus the meat in the borscht I made yesterday and was going to have today was still shoe leather): trail mix, kombucha.

On to day 26 (or Day 2??)

Day 26.

Moderator Tom didn't realize grapeseed oil wasn't optimal on his first W30 either. So I guess I'm not the only one who has trouble keeping track of what not to eat....

Looking to extend at least 7 days, maybe more.

Feeling pretty good.

Breakfast: baked eggs (terez, the prosciutto cups get soggy when eggs are stored!), 1/2 orange, coffee.

Lunch: chorizo sauteed with peppers & onions, wilteed spinach.

Snack: trail mix, tea.

Supper: lamb pattie w mayo (OLIVE oil mayo), roasted asparagus, baked yam w/ghee, kombucha.

Day 27 -I can hardly believe it!

I changed my profile pic because my big sketchy grayscale face was too in-my face.

Last night I migrated my blog to update my URL. I woke up at 2 and couldn't gett back to sleep because of thinking about outstanding tech issues related to the change, so I got up and took care of some of those. I got more sleep after that but not much.

Breakfast: chorizo sauteed with peppers & onions, wilted arugula, scrambled eggs, 1/2 orange, coffee.

Snacks/Lunch: trail mix, banana, boiled egg, blueberries with coconut milk.

Supper: grilled salmon, roasted green beans, mashed cauliflower with garlic (wow--fantastic), kombucha.

Day 28. Home stretch. Except we're extending 7 days, then re-evaluating whether to go another 7.

Worked out today, second time this week and second time during W30. Done slacking.

Finally got my kombucha started--ready in 2 weeks. Seems so long.

Breakfast: baked eggs, blueberries in cm, coffee.

Lunch: leftover salmon, roasted green beans, whipped cauliflower.

Snacks: kombucha, banana, trail mix.

Supper: brined and rosemary-thyme rubbed roast chicken, roasted beet-fig-pistachio salad with greens and fig & herbs de Provence vinaigrette. Salad was amazing.

post-11270-13597742511863_thumb.jpg

I like your new avatar.

I tried "califlower faux-tatoes" about six or seven years ago and was unimpressed. Haven't bothered making it again. But you're making me consider giving it a second chance!

Did you roast the green beans in the oven?

robotarmy, thanks for the compliment!

terez, the first two times I made them they weren't too good. The first time I hand mashed, the second I forgot the oil. This time I threw a big clove of garlic in to boil with the cauli, added about 1/4 cup nice evoo, then whipped with my immersion blender until fluffy. My new go-to. DH wondered if it was paleofying. I'm not going to ask whether it is. :)

Just checked that green bean recipe, Eileen. It says they come out "crisp-tender." I like mine just tender without the crisp. What do you think, lower temp for a longer time?

And I'm guessing they'd steam rather than roast if I tried this with frozen whole beans, right? :huh:

Just checked that green bean recipe, Eileen. It says they come out "crisp-tender." I like mine just tender without the crisp. What do you think, lower temp for a longer time?

And I'm guessing they'd steam rather than roast if I tried this with frozen whole beans, right?

Yes, I would think a little lower temp and a little longer. The browning is really nice so you still want the oven rather hot. You can always take one out and bite into it to test. Check early--mine get done faster than I expect.

I can't remember using frozen beans. Hey, it's worth a try!

Day 29 complete. A-maz-ing!!

Feeling pretty good.

Breakfast: chorizo, sauteed peppers onions kale, scrambled egg, orange, coffee.

Lunch: Leftover chicken and beet salad.

Snacks: trail mix, brewed chocolate with coconut milk.

Supper: salad bar, grilled salmon, kombucha.

This time I threw a big clove of garlic in to boil with the cauli, added about 1/4 cup nice evoo, then whipped with my immersion blender until fluffy. My new go-to. DH wondered if it was paleofying. I'm not going to ask whether it is. :)

• Fresh or frozen cauliflower?
  • Did you leave the garlic in with the cauli when you whipped it, or did you toss the garlic with the cooking water?
  • Any other ingredients? I guess salt and pepper, but otherwise is that it: oil & boiled cauli then whipped w/immersion blender?

I'm making this for my mother and siblings today.

• Fresh or frozen cauliflower?
  • Did you leave the garlic in with the cauli when you whipped it, or did you toss the garlic with the cooking water?
  • Any other ingredients? I guess salt and pepper, but otherwise is that it: oil & boiled cauli then whipped w/immersion blender?

I'm making this for my mother and siblings today.

I used fresh cauli which I imagine to be best, but don't know any reason frozen wouldn't work. I left the garlic in. I used only salt. DH doesn't want pepper so we're out of the habit of using it. Might not want the black flecks. :) Enjoy!!!

I used fresh cauliflower. Put in one clove of garlic, cut in half. While we were cleaning up I found that I missed one of the halves.

I thought it turned out really good. My sister said she would put in more garlic and more ghee next time. It could have stood having more ghee, which is milder in flavor than evoo.

Overall I was quite pleased.

Thanks, Eileen!

Terez

Day 30. Done and done. Wow!

Final post in this log. May pop in to post on the Anyone Continuing On topic from time to time.

Breakfast: boiled egg, fig.

Brunch: fried eggs, roasted sweet potatoes, side pork, orange, coffee.

Snacks: trail mix, pistachios in-shell, San Pel & Meyer lemon slice.

Supper (celebratory): grilled beef tenderloin, whipped orange cauliflower, roasted baby asparagus, kombucha.

Over and out.

Archived