Whole 30 and Body for Life???

Was thinking about starting another round of a Whole 30 tomorrow. However I also wanted to incoporate the Body for Life plan workouts.

Do you think these two would go well together??? I was told you needed sufficiant amounts of carbs while doing Body for Life, but if I add in enough vegetables and fruit I should have plenty of energy???

Am I on the right track???

Thanks guys!!!

Hi Michele,

It's a great idea to incorporate workouts while also on your Whole30. I'm not too familiar with Body For Life routines, but if they feature a decent amount of high-intensity interval training, then scale up your carbs from starches (like sweet potatoes) in relation to how active you are. Also review Whole9's guidelines on post-workout nutrition and you'll be fine.

Having done BFL after both my babies, I can say that the basic workout principles would mesh well with W30. Interval training definitely has its benefits, and moving more is never a bad idea. If you do work out to the intensity prescribed, just make sure you're getting enough starchy carbs like Badier mentioned.

Have fun!

The workouts themselves are sound, but the idea that you need to eat 6 times a day to keep your metabolism high is based on bad science if any at all (note that Phillips was promoting EAS protein shakes for 3 of those meals at that time due to a financial interest in the company). I'd simply use the workout platform and ignore most of the nutrition advice in the book.

• 2 weeks later...

Michele, if you are doing high-intensity activity, you really should not aim for a VLC (very low-carb) diet. The higher your activity intensity, the more your body relies on carbohydrate (glucose) to fuel that activity. Your body CAN convert fat and protein to energy, but nowhere near fast enough to supply glucose for longer-duration, high-intensity activity, and that puts a lot of stress on the body.

To put it another way, purposefully limiting carbohydrates to a very low level while attempting to train hard, long, and often is a recipe for metabolic disaster.

Match your carbohydrate intake to your activity levels. On a Body-for-Life style program, you should do really well with lots of leafy greens, some starchy veggies (how much depends on whether you are exclusively weight training, or doing more metabolic conditioning), and some fruit.

Best,

Melissa

Best,

Melissa

Archived