WOO! The "Whole9" Yards, Fitness & Vision <3

MakeItHappen

Alrighty. So. For 2013 I have this crazy, ridiculous, do-able vision of me. A BETTER me. The kind of me who dedicates everything I can to being the best me possible - in work, relationships, fitness, nutrition, and every category of my life - because when I am the BEST me, I am positioned to be the best friend, employee, sister, daughter, co-worker, leader, visionary...you get the picture.

That's why I'm doing the Whole30. To treat my body RIGHT. To adopt the perspective of food as fuel...of food as a GOOD thing. To revolutionize my relationship with eating and to solidify nutritious, whole, happy meals as my lifestyle, not my definition - not a diet or a quick fix. I want food to work for me and for my life - not me to be a "slave" to food.

So, with those high ambitions I start the Whole30. I'm a Christian, and I've prayed about this a lot, but even if transitioning, trying out, or sticking to this lifestyle doesn't have to do anything with your faith - the benefits are pretty obvious based on what I've read.

Okay, with that long-winded, inspirational intro, here's a recap on my first 2 days of Whole30:

Day 1: "Feelin' fine and lean and green" - I kicked my butt at the gym with muscle building and cardio before nom-ing on these delights

Breakfast: 1/2 cup egg whites with avocado, broccoli, and spinach and black coffee

Snack: more coffee...

Lunch: Spinach and Broccoli salad with 4oz lean chicken (cooked in EVOO with herbs/spices)

Dinner: 1/2 cup Carrot/Cauliflower Mash + 6oz Salmon in EVOO + cooked broccoli

Post-Dinner "Snack": 'Green Smoothie' with 1tbsp cocoa powder (this is okay?), ice, spinach, 1/4 cup egg white, cinnamon

I felt good during the day, but I slept horribly the first night. Woke up 2-3 times throughout the night...restless. So frustrating. Woke up at 5am for....

Day 2!

Light yoga workout (with coffee, of course) to stretch and wake up

Breakfast: 2 fried egg whites with 1/2 salmon fillet in EVOO and more coffee

Lunch: 1/2 salmon fillet in EVOO + spinach + raw broccoli + Organic Dijon Mustard + 1/2 chicken breast (which i added on cause I was still Hannnngry!)

More coffee....

Dinner will be.... Lean grassfed burger with 1/4 avocado and TONS of greens!

Okay. Thoughts on this people? My goal for the whole30 are to A) FEEL AMAZING B) Revolutionize my relationship with food C) Shred. Shred. Shred. & start to train at the gym like my life depends on it...

You pros - let me know watcha think!

Hey there - Why not the egg whites? What are your thoughts?

By shred I mean 5-10 lbs. Nothing significant, and I want to replace with muscle.

Thanks for the advice about the smoothie! I actually didn't enjoy it all that much...haha. I don't have a vitamix so it was chunky.

Today I'm hoping to incorporate more fat in the diet as I found myself hungry yesterday with the three meals...so, added 1/4 avo at breakfast, using EVOO dressing on my salad at lunch...and something with dinner as well.

I'm new to the Whole30 so take my comments with a grain of salt. :)

Egg yolks are the nutritional powerhouse in eggs. The yolks are where the choline is (see this chart for a comparison of calories and choline; eggs are a real winner, not that we're counting calories here...).

You've got a nice variety of vegetables in your meals. I'm aiming for greens, cruciferous and "deeply colored" vegetables every day. Need to go out and buy more greens because I finished the last of mine yesterday.

Terez

I saw this on someone else's Whole30 Log, and I thought it would be a great exercise even though it's intended for Day 7 :)

I find myself craving sugar, bread or sweets when: it is late at night

Sometimes, I think I'm hungry, but I'm actually just: VERY Thirsty or bored

When I'm craving sugar, I used to eat: roasted almonds, oddly enough. Or a small scoop of ice cream

During my whole 30, I'm going to reach for: COFFEE. haha. so far! Or h2o

When I eat sweet food like fruit, I notice: Haven't had any fruit yet.

When I eat salty foods like nuts or olives, I notice: Tastes like heaven

I thought I'd miss eating/drinking: Diet soda (TODAY especially), coffee with my splenda and cream. I do miss oatmeal and greek yogurt (the texture)

I didn't think I'd like eating: so many eggs and raw veggies!

I have the hardest time sticking to the whole30 when I'm feeling: anxious, overwhelmed, or generally discouraged

I have the hardest time sticking to the whole30 when i'm in: on the weekends, late at night.

When I eat a good breakfast, I feel: GOOD. Energy. :)

When I prepare a healthy meal from scratch, I feel: awesome! I am learning to love the process of cooking more than the food, haha. I'm also learning to enjoy less quantity with more flavor - adding spices, oils, herbs...etc.

Since I started my Whole30, I've noticed:

• That my exercise or sports performance: same
  • That my sleep: STINKS so far.
  • That my energy levels: very low so far
  • That my emotions: seem to be stable
  • That my recovery after exercise: haven't noticed yet
  • That my body feels: tired
  • That my clothese fit: baha - the same. been 3 days.
  • That my condition(Skin issues, allergies, digestive distress, etc): N/A

Whew, today was tough. Day 3 and I'm feeling fatigued, lack of focus, lack of energy, a little irritable, and generally hungry.

Here's what I've been doing

I did not sleep well last night but did early AM cardio (steady, not too intense for 40 minutes)

6:30am Breakfast: 1/2 cup egg whites, 1/3 sweet potato, spinach, broccoli, 1/4 avocado - in EVOO

12pm Lunch: 5oz chicken, spinach, raw broccoli florets, dijon mustard + little bit of EVOO

5:30pm ( I was starving!!!) Dinner: 5 oz grassfed beef patty, egg whites + spinach, mushrooms and 1/4 avocado

9pm (took a nap 8-9...exhausted): still hungry so I had a little more beef patty and egg whites and mushrooms.

Thoughts? is this rounded? Mind you...I am NOT counting calories on this and getting over 'fat-phobia,' but I'm also conscious that I don't need to be eating full sweet potatos after mid-day (or with any meal unless its post a pretty intense workout) If I want to lean out. I'm very into the science of it...very into the relaxed style of eating and listening to my body, but I also want to be able to use paleo to achieve my goals, which is why I cut fruit and nuts (I tend to be an addict of both...especially the latter).

Moderators, help? :)

Archived