AN ENCOURAGEMENT

REESE

I have finished one week and have been grousing about certain foods (OK, make that wine) I can't have. I was brought up short today realizing my great blessings versus the minimal sacrifice involved. I work in an impoverished and depressed little mountain community. I labor among the needy providing support, help, guidance and run a food bank which is open once a week. We were open this morning and I looked at what food we had to give out and what was going in families boxes (we distributed food boxes to 175 families). I read ingredients for the first time. I wouldn't eat any of it, even if I wasn't on this Whole30. But we give out what we have and what is available and the people are glad to get it. I realized not one thing I was able to put in people's boxes today was promoting good health except for the bags of lettuce and bags of oranges I had obtained through donations. I was ashamed of myself and my bad attitude.

In the midst of my feeling sorry for myself, I looked at the meager allowances of food (none of it even palatable as far as I was concerned) I was able to give out compared to what was available to me and I was ashamed. I got to go home and for lunch grill a grass-fed hamburger steak, steam some Brussel Sprouts with melted Ghee, a small lettuce salad with balsamic vinegar and for dessert a small bowl of berries with Coconut Milk on it. AND I COMPLAIN. Shame on me. Shame on me.

So, if anyone is feeling deprived out there. I encourage you to stop by your local food bank and examine what they have to give out to people. I have gone from grump this morning to a feeling of being blessed tonight. Perspective.

My friend and I were talking about food banks yesterday. There's so many of them sprouting up here in the UK due to people's dire need. It's absolutely humbling to realise just how lucky we are in being able to choose what food we eat. I may be on a tight budget but at least I'm in total control of the food I get. I may not be able to afford the best but I can choose what to avoid. Sometimes I just don't realise how lucky I am, thankyou for reminding me.

So today I've decided to approach this not with the attitude: I HAVE to eat this or that but rather I GET to eat this or that. Not only am I finally understanding after almost 60 years what exactly is healthy to eat, I have the privilege of actually being able to purchase it. It makes all the difference for me. Thanks everyone.

Archived