First day of second attempt

szwald

I am ready to do this, and have been slowly (as in two weeks) weaning myself off of milk and cheese- even let my husband finish the last of the cheese last night. Going to have a hard time explaining this to my bean/rice farmer father BUT I know it will be worth it. Day one has so far been a piece of cake, I have the next week of meals all planned to help me build a strong foundation!

Wish me luck!

Day three: made jambalaya with cauliflower rice and homemade andouille sausage (thanks Dad): http://paleomg.com/jambalaya/ .

So good my husband said he might join me for the Whole30 (he is from Ireland and cannot imagine a meal without potatoes AND bread so that is HUGE). Left overs for lunch tomorrow. Also made my own mayo as part of this weeks prep and it is legit, cannot believe how easy and delicious! It reminds the hub of salad cream from his childhood and is going to make killer chicken salad on Tuesday (just add grapes and macadamia nuts over spinach and serve with carrots and celery). I have not been this excited to take my lunch to work in a long time!

First week done and dusted. I am really feeling great and DO NOT miss the milk in my coffee... I really thought I would. I am actually surprised at how much better my stomach feels without the dairy and how much more effectivly my digestive system is working (without going into too much detail, ha). I am nervous that I was able to do so well because it was new and exciting and everyday I felt like I had accomplished something, so next week I will be starting a boot camp with a girlfried of mine to add another layer to the challenge. This will also be the first weekend I have an eating event to go to... engagement party... and think I will learn a lot about myself regarding self-control while there. Fingers crossed because I am determined but weak at the sight of finger foods!

It's always exciting to hear about immediate successes! Good luck with the special occasion dining. I've discovered that if you plan ahead and eat ahead of time, these challenges become much more doable than you might have imagined. Let us know what strategies work for you.

Last weekend WAS actually easier than I imagined. My husband and I had a really nice breakfast and a little snack before we went, and once we were there, I was able to build a "burrito bowl" meaning lots of carnitas and shredded chicken, with guacamole, salsa, radish's and shredded cabbage and lime juice. It was delish- I did not miss the tortilla at all, and because I was the dd, I had an excuse for not drinking that had nothing to do with dieting. The chips were tough to pass on, but I did and was thankful after.

Plus, last night I made it through a baseball game without garlic fries (for any of you who have been to PacBell Park, well you know what I am talking about)! These two experiences have me feeling confident for this weekend: a wedding and fathers day! First time my dad and I will NOT be devouring cheese together, its going to be tough!

Other than offending him by not eating his cheesy omlette for breakfast, my dad completely surprised me! He made me homemade bbq sauce without any sugar of any kind and it is delicious! Plus he made me some chicken sausages and gave me a bunch of fresh herbs from his garden. I did partake in the champagne toast at the wedding, and there was parmesan cheese on the salad (which I did my best to avoid), so I am extending my Whole30 to a Whole 45 to make sure that I have fully reset my eating habits and expectations.

I love your approach. Not obsessing over the fact that you had champagne (*gasp!*), but finding a sensible solution to that Whole30 "indiscretion" that works for you. Personally, the unhealthy perfectionist in me could learn a lot from someone like you. Who cares if you had a little champagne? You chose to do it, enjoyed it, and moved on. Awesome!

Archived