Minimally processed - Tofu and Tempeh brands that are complaint

Milanka

I'm doing the plant based whole 30 and need some recommendation on Tofu and Tempeh brands that are complaint.  I am not sure about minimally processed Tofu and Tempeh.  Any recommendations would be welcome.  Also are there any complaint Tofu or Tempeh at Trader Joes or Whole Foods?  

Thank you

• Moderators

I'm not sure of brand names to recommend, but I think what you're looking for is just tempeh or tofu that doesn't contain any non-compatible ingredients, like sweeteners or carrageenan.

So you're probably looking for the plain tofu, I think in my grocery store it's in the produce section, the ones that are labeled things like firm or soft or silken. You'll just have to read ingredients, but those are the most likely to be ok. There are flavored tofu cubes, but those are more likely to have sweeteners or other non-compatible ingredients. 

For tempeh, it is a fermented product, and the rules say rice is okay in fermented soy products, so don't worry about rice (unless you personally have an allergy or sensitivity, obviously), just check that the other ingredients are ok.

I hope this helps. 

Archived