Histamine Intolerance Whole30 Meal Plan

Hi There!

I am a newbie with a few questions in regards to my histamine intolerance. I have been reading up on and learning about the whole30 the past few days and have started to gather more information about getting started! However, this will be my first time trying the whole30 and I have a few questions that I'm hoping you could answer! 

• To start with, I need a lot of help with understanding how to read labels, is there a template or guide/resource available for learning how to read labels? I am especially confused about how to tell if there is or is not any sugars in products because a lot of things will say "added sugars,- 0" etc. but the book says to stay away from even those, so I'm not sure what is or is not acceptable when looking at labels. I'm also not sure how compatible my current daily supplements are with whole30 because I'm not sure how to decipher the labels. I am a bit overwhelmed by the amount of information there is about restrictions and things being eliminated, what is ok/not ok etc. especially when it comes to reading labels. I could really use some help and guidance on getting started in that regard. I found this link to research up on it: https://whole30.com/whole30-label-reading/ ...but maybe ther is other advice you could give me on label reading specifically for someone with a histamine intolerance?

• Having said this, is there a forum or group on the whole30 site you can direct me to to learn more about navigating the whole30 without histamines? I have the low-histamine-grocery PDF, but need some tips for the best way to incorporate that into meal prep and planning, because it looks like it will eliminate a lot of options/recipes.

thanks so much!

Shannon S.

• Moderators
2 hours ago, ShannonSpruiell said:

To start with, I need a lot of help with understanding how to read labels, is there a template or guide/resource available for learning how to read labels? I am especially confused about how to tell if there is or is not any sugars in products because a lot of things will say "added sugars,- 0" etc.

For this item, you only need to read ingredients.  If sugar or sneaky sugars (link to a list in my signature below) are listed, then the product is out. A LOT of foods will show sugar in the nutritional chart because most food has inherent sugars in it and that's fine, it's the added ones we are avoiding. So don't look at grams or percentages, just look at the ingredients, match them up and you're good to go. 

I'm also not sure how compatible my current daily supplements are with whole30 

For this item, the easiest way would likely be to google the items you're unsure about - you can either just straight google them and know that if they are a derivative of dairy or grains or soy etc... then they would be out.  OR, you can google them with 'whole30 forum' in the google search and it will likely bring up an old forum thread with the answer. We've been around for so long that most of the answers to these questions are already out there - our forum search doesn't really work tho so google is your best bet.

aving said this, is there a forum or group on the whole30 site you can direct me to to learn more about navigating the whole30 without histamines? 

Seems like there's not a ton of forum discussion around this that I can see but here's one old one that has links on it that might help.  You may need to reach outside of the Whole30 community into the histamine community and then blend the things you learn from each.  You can also just google whole30 low histamine recipes and see what you find - I found this link - just be sure that you're matching up the ingredients with the rules of the Whole30; we don't monitor what people 'call' whole30 on the internet so some non compatible stuff sneaks into lists like this but I'm sure you'll find something helpful!

https://casadesante.com/blogs/meal-plans/7-day-whole30-low-histamine-meal-plan-with-shopping-list

There's this blog also - they are also restricting other items but there might be useful information in there

https://humaninrecovery.com/2015/11/02/whole30-low-histamine-low-fodmap-egg-nightshade-free-whats-left-to-eat/