Almost went through a 3 day sorority/frat ski trip without alcohol

This MLK weekend my sorority went on a ski trip to Tahoe with a fraternity. It was about 70 ppl in one huge house, with a pool, jacuzzi, sauna, and lots and lots of alcohol. Friday and Saturday night I refused all drinks politely. The most AMAZING thing was that I had absolutely no desire to get drunk. I was having so much fun I didn't care.

Then Sunday night this guy brings a tray of shots of gin and sticks it literally right under my nose. Gin is my absolute FAVORITE liquor and the smell simply made me crazy. While thinking how I'm already on day 19 and have only 11 more days to make it through my whole 30 I simultaneously thought what the hell, I'll just have a few, not enough to make me too crazy or sick.

I ended up having about 7 half shots. I felt great and had no hangover today.

And I had the best night of my life =)

So I don't know if I could have had such a great time without the liquor or not.

But I honestly don't feel it was the worst thing I could have done. I didn't eat any crap at all. In fact, I had to go through a huge amount of trouble to bring and buy food I could eat. Because even though I told the ppl in charge about my dietary restrictions, nobody paid attention to it at all. I ended up spending about $30 over there, of which ppl ransacked about $20 worth of my food! super pissed about that.

Point of the story: I HATE having to start my count over again. I was really looking foward to unrestricted moderate weekend drinking starting February. Hopefully the lack of desire for alcohol I felt most of these past 20 days will continue for another 30.

Does anybody have any similar situations that could possibly help me feel less bad about this?

I do...in fact, I have cut my alcohol way way down but do enjoy a little vodka when we go out for dinner. I know this is against the "rules" but I am trying to make lasting change (not for just 30 days) and plan on keeping the paleo lifestyle with only a few additions. I am currently on Day 17 and feel great (also had a non Whole 30 meal at a company holiday party but the choices were limited to one thing and it was tough to eat nothing) and I felt horrible the next day. Really bloated and lacked energy. I picked at the food and did the best I could at the party but I am back to the program and feel great once again. I don't have health concerns and generally eat pretty healthy but I love whole food eating and sticking to anything this long has taught me a lot!

Not too many people manage to complete their first whole30 successfully. There are no external prizes for this, any cheating is personal as you can only cheat yourself out of completing your goals. If your goal is a compliant whole30, start again knowing you are a step closer from what you learnt before. If not, accept your improvement in healthier eating as a big achievement. Only you can decide....

Archived